Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 3, 2018   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default tomato disease again!

So, I had some trouble last year with this too. Several of my young plants are displaying unusual leaf growth. The leaves grow very narrow (sword-like). It can be described as "spindly" growth. There are no signs of bacterial/fungal problems. There is no black or yellow/brown spotting. The vigor is reduced, also. I have an idea what this is....not sure. What do you think? Sorry, I can't do pics (too old). Thanks in advance!
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Impossible to help without pics. Got a neighbor, or kid who can help?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #3
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Also information about the variety might help. Some varieties have whispy type leaves and tend to look droopy compared to other varieties.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #4
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I do have several varieties affected (including Big Beef, Cherokee Purple, etc). It is looking more and more like what folks here describe as "shoestring" leaf growth.
Old May 3, 2018   #5
JoParrott

Could be herbicide damage---
Old May 3, 2018   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Yes it might be herbicide damage. Have you or your neighbors sprayed your lawns and yards with anything recently?

You can check these photos and see if it helps. https://www.google.com/search?source....0.fPxZCawXFJ4
Old May 4, 2018   #7
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Is your pH in normal range? Microelements are usually responsible for this sort of problems (and many of them are less available at high pH or high P application). I had narrow leaves, I had suddenly bent down leaves, and other things, it was all deficiencies or toxicities. Unfortunately I can't pinpoint the exact culprit, since I don't have leaf analysis, but copper was probably involved somewhere.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #8
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I say thanks to all for the help. I am now thinking that it is indeed herbicide (roundup) damage. I sprayed in the area...making sure there was no breeze. Maybe that was not enough caution. I think I just learned that tomatoes are hyper-sensitive to herbicides. The damage does resemble CMV...but I will pull the plants and replace.
Old May 4, 2018   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
I say thanks to all for the help. I am now thinking that it is indeed herbicide (roundup) damage. I sprayed in the area...making sure there was no breeze. Maybe that was not enough caution. I think I just learned that tomatoes are hyper-sensitive to herbicides. The damage does resemble CMV...but I will pull the plants and replace.
Ed, that doesn’t sound like roundup damage. It could however be very mild 2-4-D damage. You get leaf browning from roundup and if enough gets on the plant the whole plant will die. I have had both in the past and the 2-4-D is much more frustrating because it takes so long to tell if the plants will survive. I think it would take a fairly heavy drift of roundup to kill tomatoes but very little 2-4-D to do irreparable harm. If your leaves look like the examples MissS posted, particularly the upper left one, it would probably be better to pull it and plant again rather than wait and hope for a recovery. When I had 2-4-D exposure it took a long time for some to recover and some never did.

Without good pictures it is impossible to know what you are dealing with.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #10
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Bill,
I am not sure what products have 2-4-d...but I do not think that has been sprayed in the area. Some of the "sword-like" leaves are towards the top...and some leaves display the "clubhead" look, also. I thought I saw "glysophate damaged" tomato pics online...and they displayed the sword-like (shoestring) look. I guess I should pull them. update: I see 2-4-d is in the weed n' feed products. I did not use that around tomatoes....just roundup.

Last edited by Ed of Somis; May 4, 2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old May 4, 2018   #11
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default new pics! I think...

sword-like growth lower left and upper center

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3610.jpg (665.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3609.jpg (754.7 KB, 77 views)
Old May 4, 2018   #12
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, that looks a lot like herbicide. In that case best to cut that growth and wait for new normal one to appear.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #13
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I took out the 3 damaged maters...and replaced them with extra grow-outs that I saved. Last year I had CMV...and it looked similar, but more severe. I have a lot of different scenarios going...in ground maters, maters in new potting soil, and maters in old re-used potting soil. Next year I will not re-use any of that old potting soil. It is hard to nail it down, really. Thanks for your help! Ed
Old May 5, 2018   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Another source of herbicide can be from purchased compost and hay for mulching.
How about your next door neighbor spraying herbicide !?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2018   #15
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

My neighbor does not spray....but my glysophate spraying was within 4-5 feet away (no wind). I am thinking it could be in soil...but it is potted and in-ground maters.