Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old October 16, 2015   #151
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Mmm, tamales....I did enjoy making them with my sister years ago. When I cared for my mom and didn't have time, there were several Hispanic gals at my church in So Calif who sold them during the holidays. Now that I live in the Pacific Northwest, I don't hear about people making them. Not many Hispanics here. We do have a fellow named Armando who makes and sells them at our farmers' market and they are SO good. Once we get the house built and I have a decent kitchen again, I need to make some...pork, always pork.

Old October 16, 2015   #152
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Mmm, tamales....I did enjoy making them with my sister years ago. When I cared for my mom and didn't have time, there were several Hispanic gals at my church in So Calif who sold them during the holidays. Now that I live in the Pacific Northwest, I don't hear about people making them. Not many Hispanics here. We do have a fellow named Armando who makes and sells them at our farmers' market and they are SO good. Once we get the house built and I have a decent kitchen again, I need to make some...pork, always pork.

Barb the only thing I have ever had that was better than pork tamales was deer and pork and even better was armadillo.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2015   #153
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Armadillo! Ha, ha, ha! What does it taste like (don't say chicken!)
Old October 17, 2015   #154
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
..pork, always pork.
Preach on, yes, pork is best. Chicken is good also, corn rocks too, cheese with green pepper strips is pretty popular, and can't forget the sweet ones (coconut, pineapple, raisins, cinnamon, etc).

Down south there are these carbohydrate bombs called Torta de Tamal. Yep, a tamal inside a torta.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2015   #155
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
My wife Jan's first homemade Tamales. It took just under 7 and a half hours to make. They are gooood.
Very nice shape, good fluffiness. Well done Jan.
Old October 19, 2015   #156
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Take out from one my favorite places. These are "Sinaloa" style. The state does produce things that are not related to drug capos or awful music with no redeeming qualities, good food being one of them.

Hiding under the blanket of flavor: enchilada (bt right), tostada (top), sope (left).

lunch.TV.jpg
Old October 19, 2015   #157
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Take out from one my favorite places. These are "Sinaloa" style. The state does produce things that are not related to drug capos or awful music with no redeeming qualities, good food being one of them.

Hiding under the blanket of flavor: enchilada (bt right), tostada (top), sope (left).

Attachment 53886
Funny you should mention the music.
The other night I was listening to a move and it was all peaceful.
Then the Mexican trumpet music started playing real loud and I almost jumped out of my skin.

The food looks good.

On a side note I have a confession to make.
I have stopped buying tortilla chips some time ago and make my own.
Once you learn how to do it you get a much better product for way less money.
What a rip off.

Worth
Old October 19, 2015   #158
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Worth, do you cut corn tortillas like a pie and then fry in oil? I did that once, and wow, were the chips good ! Mostly I'm a Cheetos girl though.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #159
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Worth, do you cut corn tortillas like a pie and then fry in oil? I did that once, and wow, were the chips good ! Mostly I'm a Cheetos girl though.
I have found it easier just to fry them whole and spap them into quarters as I eat them.
About four or five whole tortillas are good enough.
I like Cheetos too but they aren't that good with salsa.
One of the nastiest things I have ever tasted was a Cheetos after eating crackerjacks.
Worth
Old October 19, 2015   #160
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Deborah, I know this sounds really odd, but try a little yellow mustard on a cheeto.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2015   #161
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Worth, you hafta scarf down a Coke BEFORE the Cheetos ! Salt, OK, I'll try one next time I buy Cheetos. Sounds like I'll need a bit of courage but I'll do it and report back !
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2015   #162
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have found it easier just to fry them whole and spap them into quarters as I eat them.
About four or five whole tortillas are good enough.
I like Cheetos too but they aren't that good with salsa.
One of the nastiest things I have ever tasted was a Cheetos after eating crackerjacks.
Worth
If you dig playing with the tortillas and you have some left over that need to be consumed, then chilaquiles should be on your list of bfast foods. I dig green more than red.

chilaquiles.jpg
Old October 21, 2015   #163
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
If you dig playing with the tortillas and you have some left over that need to be consumed, then chilaquiles should be on your list of bfast foods. I dig green more than red.

Attachment 53910
Gerardo It is funny you brought this up.

Yesterday the day of your post I fried a homemade sausage patty and half fried some corn tortillas and two eggs sunny side up.
A tortilla the sausage patty another tortilla the eggs and salsa and another tortilla on top.

Anytime I say tortilla you can assume it is corn unless stated otherwise.
Personally myself I dont consider flour tortillas traditional Mexican cuisine.
I try to stay as pre-Columbian as I can but I do keep a bag of flour tortilla mix on hand.
It makes wonderful biscuits and dumplings.
From extensive research I have found that many of the people way back when rarely ate any meat.
It was reserved for royalty as it was in many other places.
Unlike some of the starving gruel eating people of Europe they had a well balanced diet.
Fruit chilies avocados maize squash potato tomato beans citrus fish lizards rabbits ducks turkey llama alpaca and so on.
Depending on where you were at.
Yesterday the only meat I ate was the sausage patty last night I had 3 small bowls of mayocoba beans and a can of coconut water.
The day before was just black eyed peas chilies and some salmon.

Worth
Old October 21, 2015   #164
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont know whether this would qualify or not but here it is.
yesterday's mayocoba beans with added chili arbol and guajillo garlic powder fresh garlic toasted cumin the remains of my chunky manzano Fresno salsa and my homemade jalapeno cheese sausage.
Worth
IMG_20151021_29300.jpg

IMG_20151021_38234.jpg
Old October 21, 2015   #165
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Gerardo It is funny you brought this up.

Yesterday the day of your post I fried a homemade sausage patty and half fried some corn tortillas and two eggs sunny side up.
A tortilla the sausage patty another tortilla the eggs and salsa and another tortilla on top.

Anytime I say tortilla you can assume it is corn unless stated otherwise.
Personally myself I dont consider flour tortillas traditional Mexican cuisine.
I try to stay as pre-Columbian as I can but I do keep a bag of flour tortilla mix on hand.
It makes wonderful biscuits and dumplings.
From extensive research I have found that many of the people way back when rarely ate any meat.
It was reserved for royalty as it was in many other places.
Unlike some of the starving gruel eating people of Europe they had a well balanced diet.
Fruit chilies avocados maize squash potato tomato beans citrus fish lizards rabbits ducks turkey llama alpaca and so on.
Depending on where you were at.
Yesterday the only meat I ate was the sausage patty last night I had 3 small bowls of mayocoba beans and a can of coconut water.
The day before was just black eyed peas chilies and some salmon.

Worth
Half of my family is from Sonora, so I have a very special place in my Mexican heart for flour tortillas.

You need about 2 more decades of that pre-columbian diet in order to cancel out all those twinkies and ding-dongs from your youth.

Beans look awesome.

PS My mom makes 'em by hand, and I know how to make 'em too. My discussion seminar Flour Tortilla Production 101 will be forthcoming.

Last edited by Gerardo; October 21, 2015 at 12:55 PM.