Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 21, 2012   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default containers vs. in the ground

I bought a 6-pack of gypsy peppers late, in mid-June, and planted 2 at one garden site and 3 at a second garden. I had one left over, so after a while I put it in a 5-gallon container after pulling out an old celery plant, because I couldn't find another place for it. (This third garden is containers only.) I didn't expect much from these peppers, because they'd been sitting in a 6-pack with hardly any root space.

The in-ground pepper plants are still around 8 inches high. I've been getting small peppers from them, 2-3 inches long by an inch wide at most. The plant in the container hadn't been doing much until I noticed it a couple days ago. It's had a growth spurt and is around 15-18 inches high with 3 larger peppers and lots of buds! It's probably getting a little more sun than the 3-pepper garden, but if I keep this third garden space, I now know where to grow next year's peppers and eggplants.

The first photo is the container pepper. The pink ruler in both photos is 12 inches.

Photo 2 is one of the in-ground peppers. They're all about this size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3701.jpg (302.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3740.jpg (512.9 KB, 69 views)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2012   #2
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I have the same thing going on with two Hab-type plants. One is in a raised bed and another in a container. The in-ground one is half the height of the container plant and the pods although plentiful, are smaller. The raised bed got scorching heat and pounding storms after a lengthy cold snap where the plant just sat there not growing. The container was closer to the building and had more consistent temperatures. The pods on it are quite large. I haven't gotten any ripe ones yet as the C. chinense needs a long growing season. I'll have to bring the container inside when the weather turns to get any harvest. I might have to dig up the stunted one in the ground and stuff it into a pot to bring inside too.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2012   #3
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I bought a 6-pack of gypsy peppers late, in mid-June, and planted 2 at one garden site and 3 at a second garden. I had one left over, so after a while I put it in a 5-gallon container after pulling out an old celery plant, because I couldn't find another place for it. (This third garden is containers only.) I didn't expect much from these peppers, because they'd been sitting in a 6-pack with hardly any root space.

The in-ground pepper plants are still around 8 inches high. I've been getting small peppers from them, 2-3 inches long by an inch wide at most. The plant in the container hadn't been doing much until I noticed it a couple days ago. It's had a growth spurt and is around 15-18 inches high with 3 larger peppers and lots of buds! It's probably getting a little more sun than the 3-pepper garden, but if I keep this third garden space, I now know where to grow next year's peppers and eggplants.

The first photo is the container pepper. The pink ruler in both photos is 12 inches.

Photo 2 is one of the in-ground peppers. They're all about this size.
My eggplants are growing in containers for the first time, and producing many eggplants too.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2012   #4
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

you might want to check out my thread comparing in grown vs container fatalii plants.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ighlight=datil

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2012   #5
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I grew a gypsy pepper last year from seed in an
earthbox. It's a very prolific pepper. I'm going to
grow a few next year since I still have seeds...
I think peppers like a light fluffy soil. I'm going to
do my compost, peatmoss and vermiculite formula
next year in my raised beds with gardentone and
lime, and whatever else I feel like throwing in there.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote