Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 16, 2012   #1
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepper Recipe

I have a ton of yellow, red and green bell peppers and while I have frozen them in the past, I am not a great fan of it. So, I am wondering if anyone has any way of canning them in a pressure cooker or a recipe that would use these up.
Thanks!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

OMG! First thing is I need your address. I'll come over and help you eat them. I recon they'll be gone in less than a week. Peppers go in every recipe. But if you really wan't to go through a lot of peppers fast, cut them in long strips and saute them along with chicken strips and long strips of yellow squash, zucchini, egg plant, quartered tomatoes, onions, and/or any long veggies you think will go good with them. Season with hot peppers, garlic, rosemary, basil, tarragon, cilantro, mint and/or any other fresh herbs you happen to like. Serve over rice or in fajitas or add to burritos or just by themselves. Possibilities are endless and all good. With all the color they even look as good as they taste. In fact you just made me hungry. I am having exactly that right now on a fajita.

https://www.google.com/search?q=faji...w=1366&bih=677

I also like them diced and in a chefs salad.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #3
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Redbaron:
Thanks for the reply, too bad you don't live a little closer. Actually, I do use them as you describe, but now need a way to preserve them for later use without sacrificing too much flavor.
Old October 16, 2012   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Farmette,

I freeze them myself, but after blanching them. That's the best way besides pickling which completely changes the flavor. I love pickled peppers, don't get me wrong. But they are not really the same in many recipes. I suppose you could try drying them. Just scorch the outside with a gas flame, peal off the outer skin, then slice and remove seeds and put on your dehydrator racks. It is good in some recipes. I use them kinda like dehydrated tomatoes. ie by re-hydrating them and then using in recipes (mostly baking type things as in Pizza or Lazagna.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #5
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Haven't tried blanching before freezing...will do that with hopes that it helps keep the flavor.
Thanks!
Chris
Old October 17, 2012   #6
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

Remove the seeds, chop the peppers small !/4 to 3/8 inch) and dry them. They dry down fast to a very small volume. Several pounds fresh peppers after drying will fit in a pint jar. I just sprinkle the dried pieces in soup or sauce.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2012   #7
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Marinated Roasted Peppers:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes..._bell_peppers/
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2012   #8
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the great suggestions...I guess I'll be busy for a day or two.
Old October 19, 2012   #9
blokesmom
Tomatovillian™

I freeze mine without blanching and don't notice any decrease in quality or taste.
blokesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2012   #10
Sen831
Tomatovillian™

It's common on the Eastern Shore to make relish (or "hash") out of peppers at the end of the season. A typical recipe from a regionally published cookbook says:

Take: 1 doz. red sweet peppers
1 doz. green sweet peppers
1 doz. onions
1 qt. vinegar
1 c. sugar
2 oz. white mustard seed
2 1/2 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. celery seed

Run onions, red and green peppers through a meat chopper. Pour boiling water over all; let stand for five minutes. Drain. Combine [with?] all other ingredients and cook for 1/2 hour. Seal in air tight jars.

A recent article gave more of a hands-on description of the delicacy:
http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/2...lish-tradition

Me, I'd dehydrate them, grind up the dried chunks in a nut or coffee grinder, and store the powder in a jar in the freezer. It's my "secret ingredient" in chile sauce that I want to be peppery but not hot.

Good luck. You have a problem I'd like to have.
Sen831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2012   #11
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again for the recipes. I did make a relish with green tomatoes and peppers and will try roasting them, etc.!
Old October 20, 2012   #12
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen831 View Post
It's common on the Eastern Shore to make relish (or "hash") out of peppers at the end of the season. A typical recipe from a regionally published cookbook says:

Take: 1 doz. red sweet peppers
1 doz. green sweet peppers
1 doz. onions
1 qt. vinegar
1 c. sugar
2 oz. white mustard seed
2 1/2 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. celery seed

Run onions, red and green peppers through a meat chopper. Pour boiling water over all; let stand for five minutes. Drain. Combine [with?] all other ingredients and cook for 1/2 hour. Seal in air tight jars.

A recent article gave more of a hands-on description of the delicacy:
http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/2...lish-tradition

Me, I'd dehydrate them, grind up the dried chunks in a nut or coffee grinder, and store the powder in a jar in the freezer. It's my "secret ingredient" in chile sauce that I want to be peppery but not hot.

Good luck. You have a problem I'd like to have.
Loved the article. Home made really does taste better! Going to try this recipe too.

Last edited by Farmette; October 20, 2012 at 04:01 PM.