Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 26, 2016   #16
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
These days about everything is started in 6 packs with 1 X 1 or 1X1.5 cells so there are 5 or 6 dozen per flat. I usually use well moistened ultimate potting mix and no bottom heat. Wood stove is in the back room so seeds go from about 80 at 10 (temp near the ceiling) when I go to bed and are at about 70 by morning. Yellow Hots were the only pepper that would not germinate for me. Changed the seed supplier and now they do.
My family uses some wood heat too. But, here in N.W Arkansas, we are not using our wood stove anymore. (we have been getting some night-time freezing temp's,) but here things are starting to warm up. I used to start my peppers and tomatoes in late February,but that resulted in stringy plants.
When I buy plants(I still do-I can't satisfy my tomato/pepper addiction, I need help) I buy in the 4 inch pots, I do buy flowers in the 6 packs.
Anyway, I have another Peter pepper peeking up. 2 plants for $6:00. I still have 4 seed left. I will try a different way to get the seed to germinate. Perhaps the paper towel method. I have had success with that in the past. IF I EVER get any Peter peppers, I will save seed. Esp. if they look remotely like they are supposed too. I have grown Red Peter from Jung's Seed (I ordered the plants), that was a long time ago-the plants did great-even though I was a newbie to growing peppers, and planted them in a small clay pot, and spoiled them like babies. Dispite the small pot, I got lots of peppers. But none looked like what they can. I read that the plants have a better chance of making 'naughty' peppers if the plants are neglected.
I hope I didn't talk to much, thank you tons for the reply!

tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #17
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I've grown them from seed. They are not the fastest growers but start well enough. In 2013, 2 germinated within a week and the 3rd at 12 days. This year 3 within a week and the other 2 within two weeks. 100% germination both years.

However, you have to be aware that I germinate with the paper towel in baggie method so I see every germ. If you germinate in dirt, then you see only the ones that germinate and break the soil. The longer-germinating peters tend to be weak and might not get their heads up.

Fun pepper, though. Don't bring them to a church dinner.

BTW, one of the 2013 plants was an interesting cross, but that's a whole nother story.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #18
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Hi
I have a few little Orange Peter peppers now. They were started in peat pellets on a heating pad. It took 2 weeks for them to come up. I had 4 seed left, I used the coffee filter and plastic bag method that time-after two weeks, two more plants. P. Joe's did send me another pack of seed. The first plants look very nice, one of the latest suffered from act of Wiener Dog yesterday, it lost a seed leaf, bad news for it-since it didn't have true leaves yet.. Years ago, I grew Red Peter from Jung's. Nice plants, but the plants must have been spoiled a little to much, and they produced nice, non naughty peppers. IF I do get some Peters that match the plants name, I will put them in the county fair.
Thanks for the reply from tarp/Kathryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
I've grown them from seed. They are not the fastest growers but start well enough. In 2013, 2 germinated within a week and the 3rd at 12 days. This year 3 within a week and the other 2 within two weeks. 100% germination both years.

However, you have to be aware that I germinate with the paper towel in baggie method so I see every germ. If you germinate in dirt, then you see only the ones that germinate and break the soil. The longer-germinating peters tend to be weak and might not get their heads up.

Fun pepper, though. Don't bring them to a church dinner.

BTW, one of the 2013 plants was an interesting cross, but that's a whole nother story.
Old April 19, 2016   #19
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Hate peat pellets. Go from baggie directly into potting mix. I usually go into starter cells so many fit under the lights.

Don't worry about loss of a cotyledon to ferocious wiener dogs. One of my favorite plants, Immortal Beloved, a bhut jolokia, lost both cots to helmet head, then was eaten by a furry bovine (i.e. grass-eating cat) losing most of its roots, then was baked in the Great Sun Dome Disaster of 2013 . It not only put out true leaves, it grew huge and ghostly. After two years she froze off in the back of the moving truck, proving that peppers don't have quite as many lives as cats. (Minnie lost at least one for grazing yet is still around.)

I suspect that your non-rude plants were crosses. I would darn-near guarantee that the orange color is unstable. PJs doesn't have the best reputation for stability.

Dennis

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Old April 19, 2016   #20
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Mine took 6-10 days. But the question is: why grow this pepper? It is just medium hot without much flavor. My plants ended the season loaded with peppers that I just didn't want to pick.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #21
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hate peat pellets. Go from baggie directly into potting mix. I usually go into starter cells so many fit under the lights.

Don't worry about loss of a cotyledon to ferocious wiener dogs. One of my favorite plants, Immortal Beloved, a bhut jolokia, lost both cots to helmet head, then was eaten by a furry bovine (i.e. grass-eating cat) losing most of its roots, then was baked in the Great Sun Dome Disaster of 2013 . It not only put out true leaves, it grew huge and ghostly. After two years she froze off in the back of the moving truck, proving that peppers don't have quite as many lives as cats. (Minnie lost at least one for grazing yet is still around.)

I suspect that your non-rude plants were crosses. I would darn-near guarantee that the orange color is unstable. PJs doesn't have the best reputation for stability.

Dennis
Hi
The little plant that lost a seed leaf to my dog is already producing some true leaves. I haven't grown Ghost yet. But I did overwinter a favorite jalapeno before, and this season a white habanero plant.
The first Orange Peter's I managed to get started are looking very nice. It was one of the second trys that got attacked by my dog.
The peppers that did not look like they should were Red Peters, plants from Jungs. I am a little dissapointed to hear that my Orange Peters will probably not produce true. Those seeds were not cheap, though when I talked to the lady at P.J's about the low germination rate of the peppers-she did send me another pack.
I will get some sort of pepper though. Thanks so much for the great reply, I appreciate it from Kathryn
Old April 21, 2016   #22
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Well, color instability doesn't mean that you won't get any, rather that there will be some - possibly most - that revert to the original.

Fatalii is one of my favorite peppers and is natively yellow. Over the last few years red fatalii has started to appear. (I don't think it looks like fatalii, but let's not get off topic.) I grew a half dozen of them and they were all red. Sent some seeds to friends and many of theirs reverted to the (original?) yellow.

Lesson is that if there is a hint of instability, you won't really be able to tell until they set pods and maybe until those ripen. So keep "spares". You'll almost certainly get a good one from among your larger population.

Enjoy your peter!

Old April 21, 2016   #23
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Mine took 6-10 days. But the question is: why grow this pepper? It is just medium hot without much flavor. My plants ended the season loaded with peppers that I just didn't want to pick.
Novelty. That is why I want to grow Peter Peppers. I grow the same, wonderful favorite vegetables that everyone does. But I always have room for something different.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it
Old April 21, 2016   #24
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well, color instability doesn't mean that you won't get any, rather that there will be some - possibly most - that revert to the original.

Fatalii is one of my favorite peppers and is natively yellow. Over the last few years red fatalii has started to appear. (I don't think it looks like fatalii, but let's not get off topic.) I grew a half dozen of them and they were all red. Sent some seeds to friends and many of theirs reverted to the (original?) yellow.

Lesson is that if there is a hint of instability, you won't really be able to tell until they set pods and maybe until those ripen. So keep "spares". You'll almost certainly get a good one from among your larger population.

Enjoy your peter!

Thanks For the fascinating info!
I read about fatalii peppers. ( I downloaded a pdf-big list of chili peppers) I read that the yellow has more flavor than the red. I am afraid that it would be to hot for me. I love peppers, I like spicy. But haven't back boned up enough to taste one of the White Hab's off my plant.
I will hope for a Orange Peter that lives up to it's name then. If I get one that is true -I will save seed from it!
Thanks a million-from Kathryn
Old April 21, 2016   #25
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Fatalii is *very* hot. Around 300,000 Scovilles, give or take. (Not up there with the 1-2M SHU super-hots, but well into the upper end of what most people will eat.)

The yellow has a citrus note that rivals Lemon Drop for use in a citrusy dish like guacamole (you do use lemon juice, right?). I don't recall the reds having much of that note. More with the habanero flavor. I didn't grow them again.

I usually scoff at unusual colors. An orange peter holds no special attraction to me. But my mind was partially changes last year when a friend sent a peach-colored ghost/scorpion cross and some "White Bhuts" that are definitely not bhut jolokia. Both tasted wonderful! I'm growing both this year. While Jay's Peach Bhut Scorpion would be too hot for you (and is marginal for me) it is easily the most beautiful pod I've ever seen. Google an image.

The White Bhut is not nearly as hot as a real bhut, maybe fatalii level. I've tried other white varieties too and they seem uniformly milder than the colored version.

Okay, a tip: You can taste most peppers without risking asthma or angina by starting at the tip. The capsaicin wax/oil is mostly in the cross-walls and placenta, of which there is very little at the bottom. Cut about 1/4" off the tip and you will get a good idea what the rest of the pod is like without risking life and sanity. In extremis, just keep repeating "It will fade soon. It will fade soon."

Keeping the sticky heat away from your fingers and other sensitive body parts deserves a thread all its own.
Old April 22, 2016   #26
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Fatalii is *very* hot. Around 300,000 Scovilles, give or take. (Not up there with the 1-2M SHU super-hots, but well into the upper end of what most people will eat.)

The yellow has a citrus note that rivals Lemon Drop for use in a citrusy dish like guacamole (you do use lemon juice, right?). I don't recall the reds having much of that note. More with the habanero flavor. I didn't grow them again.

I usually scoff at unusual colors. An orange peter holds no special attraction to me. But my mind was partially changes last year when a friend sent a peach-colored ghost/scorpion cross and some "White Bhuts" that are definitely not bhut jolokia. Both tasted wonderful! I'm growing both this year. While Jay's Peach Bhut Scorpion would be too hot for you (and is marginal for me) it is easily the most beautiful pod I've ever seen. Google an image.

The White Bhut is not nearly as hot as a real bhut, maybe fatalii level. I've tried other white varieties too and they seem uniformly milder than the colored version.

Okay, a tip: You can taste most peppers without risking asthma or angina by starting at the tip. The capsaicin wax/oil is mostly in the cross-walls and placenta, of which there is very little at the bottom. Cut about 1/4" off the tip and you will get a good idea what the rest of the pod is like without risking life and sanity. In extremis, just keep repeating "It will fade soon. It will fade soon."

Keeping the sticky heat away from your fingers and other sensitive body parts deserves a thread all its own.
Pepper hands. I am familiar with that. Even some jalapenos recently reminded me of that. I wore gloves when deseeding and scraping out that membrane-rinsed the knife, the peppers, took off my gloves and forgot about the saucer I was working on. "Funny" how that doesn't hit me until bedtime.
I do taste my peppers, just not the White yet. It is loaded with blooms right now. I am going to popper the Peters.
Someone ask me why I would bother growing the Peters...I just like neat vegetables. Super if I can eat them. I sometimes I grow them for the 'cool!" reaction too. Black Pearl peppers are beautiful. I will look up the Jay's Peach Bhut Scorpion!

I might be an Arkie now, but I grew up in Texas. I LOVE guacamole...yes lemon juice...no! I am now hungry for guac'!
I think peppers are awesome. There are so many types. My husband told me to please not go crazy with tomato varieties this season-he said nothing about peppers!
Thank you for the reply! from Kathryn
Old April 22, 2016   #27
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I've tried all sorts of approaches to guacamole since I've been in Texas (has it been 50 years!? Well, not all of them in Texas). Here's my current recipe:

1 avocado
1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, crushed
a squeeze of lemon, maybe a tsp of juice or a little more
a source of heat, e.g. cayenne powder or preferably a chunk of pepper, chopped fine
1 Tbsp Pace's picante sauce
salt to taste.

How do you make your guacamole?
Old April 23, 2016   #28
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've tried all sorts of approaches to guacamole since I've been in Texas (has it been 50 years!? Well, not all of them in Texas). Here's my current recipe:

1 avocado
1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, crushed
a squeeze of lemon, maybe a tsp of juice or a little more
a source of heat, e.g. cayenne powder or preferably a chunk of pepper, chopped fine
1 Tbsp Pace's picante sauce
salt to taste.

How do you make your guacamole?
Hi
I make my guacamole pretty much the same way. Easy on the cayenne(my husband likes a little spicy-but not as much as I do).
The only real difference is the salsa. I haven't added it to my guac' before! That sounds like a terrific idea though.
I grew up in and around San Antonio.

Last edited by tarpalsfan; April 23, 2016 at 12:02 PM. Reason: forgot something.

Tags
pepper seed germination question