Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 3, 2016   #1
trout250
Tomatovillian™

Default will blight get in pepper plants?

i had early blight in my tomatoes and have 2 rows of assorted peppers next to them it appears that the blight may be trying to cross over. what to spray peppers with to stop it
trout250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout250 View Post
i had early blight in my tomatoes and have 2 rows of assorted peppers next to them it appears that the blight may be trying to cross over. what to spray peppers with to stop it
It depends on which specific blight you are worried about,but yes tomatomato foliage diseases can be transmitted to peppers and it depends on whether the diseases are fungal or bacterial as to what you might spray with..

Here's a few links for you.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...otoGallery.htm

https://www.google.com/#q=diseases+o...pictures&hl=en

Lots of links in that last one.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old July 3, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
It depends on which specific blight you are worried about,but yes tomatomato foliage diseases can be transmitted to peppers and it depends on whether the diseases are fungal or bacterial as to what you might spray with..

Here's a few links for you.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...otoGallery.htm

https://www.google.com/#q=diseases+o...pictures&hl=en

Lots of links in that last one.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
I had suggested making a diagnosis first, as you know,and that still would be the best way to go, but it can be difficult to do,that I know.

So an alternative would be to spray a good antifungal such as Daconil and alternate with the best you can do for bacterial diseases, which might be copper or Mancozeb.

Just my suggestions and others might offer other products as well,such as Actinovate,etc.

Carolyn
Old July 4, 2016   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I find peppers to be much much less susceptible to leaf fungi than tomatoes. Especially when it comes to late blight, they're almost immune (I at least never got any in years when I didn't eat one tomato). As long as you don't see any signs on them you should be ok. Of course, prevention never hurt anyone and could help a lot in case the disease does install.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2016   #5
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

This is our experience too.

They do get early blight, but usually it is much later and much milder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I find peppers to be much much less susceptible to leaf fungi than tomatoes. Especially when it comes to late blight, they're almost immune (I at least never got any in years when I didn't eat one tomato). As long as you don't see any signs on them you should be ok. Of course, prevention never hurt anyone and could help a lot in case the disease does install.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2016   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
This is our experience too.

They do get early blight, but usually it is much later and much milder.
Agree with zipcode and Fred.

I don't think most folks realize that Early Blight can occur early or late in the season, but it can and does.

And I've never seen Late Blight on my peppers but have seen the other common fungal disease of Septoria Leaf Spot.

Carolyn
Old July 7, 2016   #7
trout250
Tomatovillian™

Default fungus

have been spraying tomatoes with daconil, pulled all of them up sat. and disposed of them. Have copper that i am going to try after i use the bleach and water treatment, looks like it may be bacterial instead of a fungus.
thanks for all the help
Old July 14, 2016   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

You could also be seeing fusarium wilt or Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus. I usually have some problems with both of them with some bell peppers each year. Watch out for spot diseases because once they get started in bell peppers they are hard to control. There is also the problem of stink bugs and leaf footed bugs stinging them. I am having trouble with antracnose on mine this year and it is a real pain.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #9
trout250
Tomatovillian™

what ever it is is playing havoc with my peppers. looks like black spot on roses except it starts out with a brown spot, then leaf turns yellow and falls off, just sprayed them with copper and some liquid seven mixed in, . Did not have a problem with the stink bugs this year. just whatever this mess is. Never lant any hot peppers and i have a banna pepper that is so hot you can't eat it.

thanks for advice