Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 8, 2017   #31
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Based on nothing more than my experience last year, and definitely no reflection on the short comings of any plant. Knowing ultimately it's on the grower to get it right, and that many other gardeners may of had no problems.

Of 36 plants, 33 indeterminates, the 3 determinates (EMChampion/Marglobe/Champion II) were the only plants not to make it till season end. All plants were in 15 gal fabric pots, watered and fed exactly alike. All succumbed to a mold or bacteria of some kind. It was quick and fatal, but had the same thing on two GWR indeterminates and was able to cut out affected branches and the plants keep producing.

The irony was I'd planted the determinates as the sure thing back-up in case the idea of big indeterminates in bags was a flop.
Lol you have blown a big hole in my plans for success next year. Hybrids apparently are not tough and durable. Maybe AK Mark has it right.....no determinates.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #32
BajaMitch
Tomatovillian™

I am in hardiness zone 10a, Southern California. Heat almost killed my plants this past summer. Had an unusually hot day in early June 2016 that nearly killed my plants; certainly burned out the first 3 trusses of flowers and the tips of many plants as well which put a big damper on the plants for the rest of the season. The temps hit 107 F that day and the surrounding few days were in the low 100s. I was in Baja at the time and my conscientious neighbor called me in Baja and did what he could to shade and water my plants to minimize the damage.

Lesson learned. When I leave the plants for more than 3 days at a time, I will put all the plants in the shade for the duration of my absense. BTW, the plants that did the best throughout the season were in the partial shade of an avocado tree. Not sure, but it appears to me that tomato plants may be able to do quite well in partial shade throughout a Southern California summer. I will test for that specifically this coming season.
BajaMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #33
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think I remember reading that tomatoes only require about 40% of full sunlight. That figure would vary by climate.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #34
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, I learned how easy it is to grow tomatoes in straw bales. Thanks to Craig and his wonderful book.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #35
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I learned not to allow people that can not speak English to to water your plants. Sigh......
Old January 9, 2017   #36
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I learned that if I continue participating in the MMMM swap I will never be able to grow every new tomato I receive.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #37
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I learned that if I continue participating in the MMMM swap I will never be able to grow every new tomato I receive.
Well..... many of us have learned that. It does not seem to stop us though.
Old January 12, 2017   #38
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

More water. I need more water.

Also, more nutrients. Need more nutrients.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017   #39
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I learned I have a compulsion to buy too many varieties of tomato seeds, especially potato leafs. I don't think less than 3 plants of a variety is a good test. At that rate I have time and a need for about a third of them.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2017   #40
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Beet curly top virus (BCTV) attacks tomatoes, cannot be treated, and for me, took out 60-80% of my crop.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2017   #41
weaselbean
Tomatovillian™

Don't try to grow something in every square inch of garden you have. Spread things out.
Now I know why there are Hybrids
Sometimes its just as hard to give tomatoes away as to sell them. Toss up there.
Texas Tomato food really works..
weaselbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2017   #42
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

T5 grow lites are hot and will cook the tender leaves.

Tomato seeds and catalogs are an addiction. I need TAA....Tomato addiction anonymous!
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2017   #43
agee12
Tomatovillian™

I put rocks in the bottom of my containers, which I've read may not have been necessary, but that was not the lesson leaned, the lesson learned is that if I do use rocks again, I need to put the rocks in a bag or something, a good suggestion I read was to put them in the mesh that onions come in, so that they don't get mixed in with the potting mix. Ugh it's been a bear fishing those rocks out. I cannot figure out how rocks that were put in the bottom of a container migrated to the middle and top of the container.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #44
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Double-post deleted

Last edited by Hatgirl; January 16, 2017 at 11:13 AM.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #45
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

I had my first whitefly infestation. As well as various sprays, I found moving my plants from the house/greenhouse to the chilly Irish outdoors for a few days helped reduce the scale of the problem. And I've invested in some yellow sticky sheets for trapping individual insects before they become an infestation. I think they're keeping the fungus gnats down too
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote