Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old July 24, 2015   #1
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Default Does this look right?

So I have been canning all day and just canned straight tomato juice for the first time. Rest I turned into sauce. It has a layer of...water (?) On top. Is this normal/safe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150724_175514-resized-960.jpg (155.3 KB, 77 views)
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No nothing wrong with it but here is the answer to your problem.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...98717601,d.eXY

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Ah ok thanks Worth! Yeah since I got the Victorio I don't blanch any more. Just wanted to make sure it was ok.
Old July 24, 2015   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Van, I almost exclusively make juice out of my excess tomatoes. What you have is normal if you haven't reduced the mixture. I usually turn the stove way down to simmer - where the 12 quart pot I use has only a very slow roll to the liquid inside. This puts off some steam and that's the water departing and the flavor staying. It is extremely important that you don't crank up the heat and achieve a bubbling rolling boil. This will only scorch the whole batch and the taste will be bad. Bringing the heat up slowly and then slowly reducing the water out avoids the burning/scorching.

I usually reduce by 30%-50% and achieve a really thick base. From this thick base, I can make sauce, salsa, soup, or just a good beer and tomato juice drink. I can it thick and then if I need it thinner, I can always add water. Can't remember ever doing that, but I have the choice and I don't have so many jars of canned tomato juice.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #5
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tips Ted, I'm new to canning anything other than salsa and appreciate any help! I did try to reduce it a bit but got impatient.
Old July 25, 2015   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

No problem, Van. I always stir the pot frequently. There will be a slight tendency for a buildup of tomato in the bottom of the pot. Stirring briskly every 15 minutes or so prevents this buildup. It's not sticking. It's just a "gathering" of the tomato pulp.

Over the years, I've added a lot of things to try and hurry this process, including adding some corn starch. But that changed the taste just a bit. So, this coming December/January, I'll reflect back on this summer's effort, take a big drink of that PURE tomato flavor, and know my efforts were well worth it.

You can spend an afternoon stirring, sit down and read some posts here at Tomatoville, and then stir some more, then read some more, and then ........

The only thing I put into the mix nowadays is enough canning salt to fully balance the flavors between tomatoes that are too sweeet and those with a lot of tang in them. I know I'm there when it's "full flavored" and tends to be slightly sweet in the finish. This beautiful flavor will only intensify as the mixture cools to room temperature in the jars.

If you take a can of, say, Campbell's Tomato Soup, and add only half a can of water, that's my target thickness of the juice I have when done and in the jars. I can about 8 dozen quarts every year.

That's how I do it. Hope this helps folks.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; July 25, 2015 at 09:05 AM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote