Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 5, 2014   #16
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
I have planted out a few of the varieties I got from you. I planted out on the 30th and so far Roma VFN and Purple Russian are already popping up! Excited to get this year started!
Glad to hear it is going well. Thanks for the info.

-Mike
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2014   #17
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Just to add I do not have heating pads or anything like that. The seeds are started and put ont eh dryer so only heat is when it goes. Then the cold metal more than makes up for the warmth later. It has been colder than normal here. So the fact that they have already started sprouted is amazing.
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2014   #18
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
Just to add I do not have heating pads or anything like that. The seeds are started and put ont eh dryer so only heat is when it goes. Then the cold metal more than makes up for the warmth later. It has been colder than normal here. So the fact that they have already started sprouted is amazing.
Glad to hear the seeds are germinating well for you. Yes, I used to use the dryer many years ago too. But you can't beat a heat mat!
Old January 26, 2014   #19
seeker
Tomatovillian™

Mike,
The seeds arrived quickly and in perfect condition. I'm really looking forward to trying them. Thanks,
Paula
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2014   #20
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker View Post
Mike,
The seeds arrived quickly and in perfect condition. I'm really looking forward to trying them. Thanks,
Paula
Great, Paul. Let me know how you make out.

-Mike
Old February 10, 2014   #21
weinerm
Tomatovillian™

Mike,
The seeds arrived quick and safely. Can't wait to try them!

Thanks!

Mike
weinerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2014   #22
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerm View Post
Mike,
The seeds arrived quick and safely. Can't wait to try them!

Thanks!

Mike
Let me know how you do.

Thanks,
Mike
Old April 2, 2014   #23
CornHusker
Tomatovillian™

Bought some tomato & pepper seeds which arrived very quickly. Tomato seeds germinated in 3-5 days and after 3 weeks running ~98% germination rate. Peppers have been typical so far; had a couple germinate in 3 days, bunch more after 5 days. After two weeks, about 90% have germinated. Gonna give the stragglers a little more time.

Definitely recommend and very happy so far!
CornHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #24
loudog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mike for the great and fast service! Germination was 85% and up on all the tomato seeds. Thanks and hope you have a great growing season! Louie
loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2014   #25
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quite a few of you folks requested a "heads up" when my new Rozovyi Myod seeds became available. I just finished germination-testing my third batch and now have them available for sale. Germ is 95%+.

We've had a tremendous season her in central Ohio due to the cooler-than-normal temperatures. An improved harvest means that I've increased the seed count to 40 per package and kept the price the same- $2.29.

I also have 2015 (Orange) Kentucky Beefsteak and Indigo Rose seeds available.

http://www.ohioheirloomseeds.com/

Thanks,
Mike at Ohio Heirloom Seeds
Old August 16, 2014   #26
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Mike,

I don't think Black Cherry is from Russia.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Black_Cherry
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2014   #27
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Mike,

I don't think Black Cherry is from Russia.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Black_Cherry
Thanks, Fred. I did quite a bit of research on Black Cherry when I first started growing them. It indicated a Russian heritage, but I would certainly defer to Tania.

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Old August 16, 2014   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOhio View Post
Thanks, Fred. I did quite a bit of research on Black Cherry when I first started growing them. It indicated a Russian heritage, but I would certainly defer to Tania.

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Mike, I can confirm what Tania wrote since Linda Sapp has been a good friend since 1990 and it was her husband Vince, now deceased, who bred it.

Vince was a lawyer and of course dealt with any legal issus for TGS but had his own private practice as well.I interacted with him several times b'c he used to look at message sites and also the SSE YEarbooks and if he saw something interesting he would contact me to see if I had seeds. He died of a sudden heart attack/

I kept trying to get out of her what the parents were, but she'd just laugh and never tell me.

At the time there was a black cherry listed in the SSE Yearbooks called Black Sweet, Tania doesn't list it, I just checked, and I had grown it and asked about that one and Linda told me no, that wasn't part of the parentage.

And good thing that b'c I didn't like it.

I also remember quite clearly that Linda and Vince produced the first Black Cherry seeds that they listed, and many of us were having terrible problems with germination, but once you got it going and saved seeds all was fine.

Linda told me that she thought that there were too many immature seeds they sent out. It was the first and last time that they ever produced their own seeds.

Carolyn
Old August 17, 2014   #29
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Mike, I bought Costoluto Genovese from you last year and didn't have anywhere to get them started in time for the season. I made it a priority this year and they are just beautiful plants.
Old August 19, 2014   #30
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Mike, I can confirm what Tania wrote since Linda Sapp has been a good friend since 1990 and it was her husband Vince, now deceased, who bred it.

Vince was a lawyer and of course dealt with any legal issus for TGS but had his own private practice as well.I interacted with him several times b'c he used to look at message sites and also the SSE YEarbooks and if he saw something interesting he would contact me to see if I had seeds. He died of a sudden heart attack/

I kept trying to get out of her what the parents were, but she'd just laugh and never tell me.

At the time there was a black cherry listed in the SSE Yearbooks called Black Sweet, Tania doesn't list it, I just checked, and I had grown it and asked about that one and Linda told me no, that wasn't part of the parentage.

And good thing that b'c I didn't like it.

I also remember quite clearly that Linda and Vince produced the first Black Cherry seeds that they listed, and many of us were having terrible problems with germination, but once you got it going and saved seeds all was fine.

Linda told me that she thought that there were too many immature seeds they sent out. It was the first and last time that they ever produced their own seeds.

Carolyn
Thank you for the information, Carolyn. That is quite interesting. I will note that on my website.

I've grown Chocolate Cherry for a number of years and find it to be quite good too. Are you aware of any other black/dark cherry varieties? I have some friends in Russia digging around to see if they can locate any.

Regards,
Mike