Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 9, 2013   #1
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Question about growing shallots and onions

I purchased onion and shallot bulbs this past spring. Planted them in soil in the spring in containers. They did very well, but since they were already bulbs (or whatever you call them), I don't know how long they need until they are ready to be dug up. Am I too late? The green stalks grew fine most of the summer, then turned brown. My shallots, which were very small, are now growing green shoots again, but are not much larger than they were in the spring. The onions were labled "Candy" and somewhere I read that "proper curing ensures a good three months of storage." What does that mean? Do I dig them up now, wash them, and put them in the basement? The onions are almost the size of a baseball now. The shallots are called "Yellow Moon" and had no instructions. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Donna

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2013   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'd dig up one shallot to see what's going on.

If you didn't yet dig up the spring planted ones, my guess is that each bulb planted in spring has multiplied into several shallot bulbs, and one or more are sprouting. Some of the bulb cluster could be rotted if they've been in the ground all this time. Be gentle with roots and replant, seperating the cluster if that's what you have.

Many people plant shallots in the fall, about the 1st of October in your area. You'll get green growth before a hard freeze and snowcover. Some cover with mulch after a hard freeze, but before the snow. I don't, but I may try it this fall. Next spring, they'll start growing again. Next summer, when the tops turn brown, they are then dug up. Some eaten, some stored for planting in the fall.

I'll let someone else handle the onions.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2013   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

Donna, the shallots would have been ready to harvest when the tops first dried up- probably near the end of July. Tormato's ideas for what to do now in your case are what I'd have suggested, too.

The Candy onions also were ready to dig up when the green tops began to yellow to brown and fall over- usually late July-August. Leaving them in the ground until the tops are completely brown is usually risky in climates that have regular rainfall because you want them to dry down completely as quickly as possible to avoid rot. Curing them involves leaving them in a warm, dry place with good airflow until they are nice and dry. If I were you, I'd try to rescue them before all this rain arrives even if it involved a flashlight!DON'T WASH THEM! Once they're dry, keep them in a dry spot that's not too hot, not too cold. Mine are always pretty good in the basement which goes from about 65 down to about 55 through the winter.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2013   #4
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

So, that means I've ruined them? <sigh>

The shallots - they are still grape sized or slightly larger. It doesn't look like they got much bigger. I assumed they would get as large as the ones in the store. What should I do with them? Should I just leave them in the pot in the (unheated) garage until next spring? Their shoots are nice and green (after turning brown in late summer).

Thanks.

Old October 9, 2013   #5
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I went out and pulled up the onions. They feel firm, hopefully they are sweet. Did I risk them becoming hot by leaving them in the dirt so long?

My shallots look like a daisy! I guess they multiplied! However, they are still very small (grape sized). Since they are in a pot, I will do what you say and dig them up and gently break them apart and replant them and leave them be. I'll have to put them in the garage because otherwise they'll be subjected to a hard freeze and the container will crack as well. They'll be OK w/o water the entire winter in the garage?

Thanks for the info! It is very much appreciated

It is my first year growing onions and eggplant. I'm spreading my wings!

Old October 9, 2013   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

Donna, if the onions feel firm they're probably fine. I've not grown Candy but don't think they could become hot by harvesting this late.

I only planted shallots in spring and they should sort of "look like a daisy" after they've multiplied, but I'm not familiar with planting them in the fall, which is when I plant garlic. Garlic overwinters fine outside even though the ground freezes hard- mulch placed over them when that happens to help avoid lots of repeated freeze/thaw cycles which might damage the root system which develops in the fall after they're planted. I don't have any experience growing any of the alliums in containers, though.

kath
Old October 10, 2013   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

One other thing about shallots... generally, planting a large bulb will produce many smaller bulbs, and planting a smaller bulb will produce one to a few large bulbs. Not always the case, though.

Storing in a heated garage?

Gary

Last edited by Tormato; October 10, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old October 10, 2013   #8
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

No, the garage is unheated. Shall I bring them in the basement instead?

Since we're on the subject, I planted SEEDS for onions in the spring (Onion, (Scallion) Evergreen Long White Bunching). The bulbs are now pea sized. Shall I do the same? Dig up, separate, replant and put in basement? They certainly do not look like the picture on the packet.

I never knew that shallots and onions took over a year to grow (either from seed or from bulb). Yet my Candy onion was ready in one season. I also never knew that one shallot bulb made more shallot bulbs.

Oh, the things you learn!

But, seriously, since this is my first year growing shallots and onions, I'll take any advice you can give me.

Thanks!

Old October 10, 2013   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
Since we're on the subject, I planted SEEDS for onions in the spring (Onion, (Scallion) Evergreen Long White Bunching). The bulbs are now pea sized. Shall I do the same? Dig up, separate, replant and put in basement? They certainly do not look like the picture on the packet.

I never knew that shallots and onions took over a year to grow (either from seed or from bulb). Yet my Candy onion was ready in one season. I also never knew that one shallot bulb made more shallot bulbs.
Thanks!
I think that in our area, shallots are most often planted from bulbs in the spring; yes, they split (multiply) and are harvested in the summer after the tops die back. Shallot seeds planted in the early spring will produce one bulb sometime in the summer. Bulbing onions grown from seed are sown indoors in the late winter, transplanted to the garden in early spring and harvested in mid to late summer when the tops are falling over. Scallions seeded directly in the garden in early spring are harvested throughout the summer to be eaten fresh.

In climates milder than ours, bulbing onions like Walla Walla can be sown in the fall, overwintered and continue to grow in the spring and will produce larger, sweeter bulbs than we can get from spring planted onions in our zone.

I'm confused as to how you have pea-sized bulbs...of what...Evergreen Bunching Onions?

kath
Old October 10, 2013   #10
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Bunching onions are bred to not have bulbs or very small bulbs. Short day onions will also start to bulb up too early in the north before the plants have gotten big enough to produce big bulbs.

Last edited by Doug9345; October 10, 2013 at 09:33 PM.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2013   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I plant garlic and shallots in late fall and let them overwinter in the garden. I start onion seeds in mid-to-late January and transplant the seedling out to the garden in about mid-April. This was my first year growing shallots and they did great. Next year's shallot and garlic crop is probably going in the ground this weekend.

I have no experience with growing them in containers, so I can't help there!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2013   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Leave the containers in the garage. You want the shallots to be dormant over the winter. The best thing is to have them in frozen ground, like outdoors in a garden. If the soil stays thawed in your pots, it likely will dry out. I don't know what that will do to the roots, but I could guess. Potted shallots is just not my specialty. Maybe the allium forum at Gardenweb?

Gary
Old October 12, 2013   #13
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Thank you everyone for your help!

Since most of these plants are a hit and very easy to grow, I'll be growing them yearly. When I pulled up the onions the other day, one was huge, and I ran around to the neighbors shoving it in their faces, saying look! Look! Gave one away, and kept the rest for myself (I only had 4). My neighbors are excited as well and will be growing their own next season.

Kath - the Burpee packet states "Onion Evergreen Long White Bunching." I purchased the packet in 2011 and grew them both in 2011 and 2012. They didn't even remotely look like the scallion-type onions pictured on the packet, and, if I remember correctly. I went back to the Burpee website in 2011 and saw several complaints that the onions weren't true. Those complaints are no longer on the burpee site. So, I have no idea what I have. But, right now they are about pea sized and I started the seeds in March (indoors) of this year. I have no idea what I am doing and figured I'd give it a try. They grew very slowly and only about a month ago I took them out of the plastic Solo cup, and potted them up into a very small container which still gives them plenty of room. They are improving, but now I gather I have to put them, too, in the garage. Can I put both the shallots and the onions in a very large conatiner and leave that out in the elements all winter? Would that be better?

So much to learn!

Donna