Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old March 9, 2011   #1
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

Default Djena Lee's Golden Girl

I was given a sample of the variety Djena Lee's Golden
Girl and was curious if anyone has tried it and if so
did you like it.
Any Input will be appreciated.
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2011   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Yep. Grew it a while back and really liked the nice tart bite
it had. Fairly prolific as well, if memory serves me correctly. A nice addition to any garden!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #3
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

I've been wanting to try it for years now-but only have it in a mixed pack of seeds. Since I don't have much room for experimentation, they still sit here...
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #4
shule1

I have D'jenna Lee, which is possibly the same variety. My seed source will hopefully tell me soon. The fruits are yellow on the package. I'm surprised Djena Lee's Golden Girl isn't more popular, since sustainableseedco says it won first place in the Chicago Fair 10 years in a row, presumably on account of its flavor (if context serves us here).

Since its been a few years, has anyone else grown it? Is it heat-tolerant?
Old March 5, 2016   #5
shule1

I guess a site has a review that says they produced all summer, and even set a fruit after a light frost (I believe in Kentucky). So, heat/cold tolerance seems probable enough that I just might grow it this year. It's supposed to be very productive and compact (although indeterminate), too.

Edit: I found the article on Tatianna's (it didn't show up when I searched for a few name variations): http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/D...;s_Golden_Girl

Last edited by shule1; March 5, 2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old March 5, 2016   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I guess a site has a review that says they produced all summer, and even set a fruit after a light frost (I believe in Kentucky). So, heat/cold tolerance seems probable enough that I just might grow it this year. It's supposed to be very productive and compact (although indeterminate), too.

Edit: I found the article on Tatianna's (it didn't show up when I searched for a few name variations): http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/D...;s_Golden_Girl
Shule, I grew it 2 years ago. It had a very nice taste, and set a lot of fruit, mid to late season. High acid tomato, but if you like not sweet, this is a very good one. Not your usual mild flavored yellow. Heat- well.... I'm in S.Fl.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #7
shule1

@ginger2778

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it.

It looks like it's more popular than my first search results showed (it's all in the spelling, it seems). Lots of vendors sell it, apparently.

I like acidic tomatoes. Well, I've found a couple kinds that I didn't prefer so much (like an extremely sour Lemon Boy F2 I grew last year, which although it tasted fine, it seemed to be chelating my teeth considerably, unlike the F1. And, a red cherry tomato that tasted like certain kinds of commercial canned tomatoes taste; my youngest sibling loved it on pizza, but I preferred it in small quantities, and not on pizza; the acid had kind of a burnt taste to it, I thought; the plant was productive, for sure—I don't know the variety).

Last edited by shule1; March 5, 2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old April 9, 2017   #8
Direct Sunlight
Tomatovillian™

Tried it the last 2 years. The first year, 2 of 3 didn't survive transplant to the garden, got only one tomato from the survivor. Last year they made it, but flavor was somewhat bland. In comparison, my best tasting tomato last year was black cherry.
Old April 11, 2017   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

This one was a failure for me and didn't produce a fruit - but it was one of the worst weather years on record, and I was just getting back into growing tomatoes so no special techniques for that either. I was sorry not to taste just one!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #10
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if it's the same, but I grew a Golden Girl last year and it produced fruit like the yellow ones Pictured above. I got probably 40 tomatoes off of it.
I personally wasn't crazy about them, but my son and DIL thought they were the best in my garden. It stayed healthy for a long time too. Worth a shot to see if you like it.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2019   #11
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I have seeds of this one. IIRC, it was a freebie from Totally Tomatoes some years back. It has been long enough that the seeds may no longer be viable. There are conflicting descriptions of what this one actually is. Part of the problem is that there also is/was an F1 determinate hybrid called Golden Girl, which may or may not be related. Then there is also a "Golden Queen," which is also an older variety. I grew that one some years back and really disliked it, but think that I did not let it get fully ripe. I have grown and like the F1 very much, except that it seems especially prone to Septoria. I probably should try it again, now that I spray my plants regularly. And I think I'll hunt for those freebie seeds and see if they are still any good.

Last edited by Greatgardens; November 25, 2019 at 07:43 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2020   #12
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Just in case anyone searches Djena Lee, I got seeds for this one about 20 years ago and it appears in my garden about every 3rd year. My original seeds yield a very slightly heart-shaped (taller than it's diameter) yellow-orange fruit, about 6-12 oz.
I ordered from Tomatofest this spring, and included one called Djena Lee Round, which supposedly differed in that the tomatoes are more perfectly globose.

I thought there was as much normal variation as there was difference between them, and this year, I couldn't have told them apart, flavor wise. A 10-12 ounce Djena is as wonderful sliced as any other kind.

My wife and I can our excess tomatoes and Djena is represented on the shelves; we don't use it for sauces that most expect to be red, but like them in soups.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk