Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old September 20, 2016   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Time for this years cover crop

Well I pulled my garden today.Had a good year with my tomatoes even though we had a very dry summer.I turned everything over as I had straw mulch over the old part of my garden.I expanded my garden 6 feet out and 12 feet across.Now I have around 200sq.ft.I went to my local feed store and bought my cover crop.75% winter rye and 25% hariy vetch.I just need to get a friends tiller and make a few passes so I can can rake the seed in.Glad I have this done as I'm getting my other knee replacement 2 weeks from tomorrow.I had my right knee done Mach 18th of this year.Now I can get back to normal with my cycling and gardening next spring.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2016   #2
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Carl,

No cottonseed meal this year? I pulled out a lot of my tomatoes due to a variety of reasons and got a couple of my garden boxes already planted in hairy vetch and started a third one Sunday. And the compost gets added to it weekly and I will have a large amount of water hyacinth from my pond biofilters to add to it as well. Always good to prepare for next year.

George

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2016   #3
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
Well I pulled my garden today.Had a good year with my tomatoes even though we had a very dry summer.I turned everything over as I had straw mulch over the old part of my garden.I expanded my garden 6 feet out and 12 feet across.Now I have around 200sq.ft.I went to my local feed store and bought my cover crop.75% winter rye and 25% hariy vetch.I just need to get a friends tiller and make a few passes so I can can rake the seed in.Glad I have this done as I'm getting my other knee replacement 2 weeks from tomorrow.I had my right knee done Mach 18th of this year.Now I can get back to normal with my cycling and gardening next spring.
Good luck to you CJP! I'll be praying for you. I had my right hip done 2 Decembers ago and I am fully back in the garden. Amazing procedures!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2016   #4
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I used up the cotton seed meal this spring.I'll have to get more come spring.I have been also using Garden Tone a couple times during the growing season.Only issue I had this year was my tomatoes all had cracked skins.I think that was due to the very dry weather we had.I heard many growers had that problem around this part of the state this summer.Thanks for the very kind thoughts,I also had a hip replaced in 2012.My knee was bone on bone,much more rehab with knee.But I'm pain free in the hip and right knee now.Modern surgery is truly amazing!
Old September 21, 2016   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thumbs up

George,I'm sorry but I forgot to add that I had very good luck with your Orange 117 seeds you sent.Great flavor.I'll add a few plants again next year.Thank you again.
Old September 21, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Great news and good luck on the surgery.
I cant imagine the pain it must be.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2016   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth,I'll be glad when this is over.
Old September 21, 2016   #8
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Good timing with the gardening season! May the second operation go as smoothly!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2016   #9
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thank you.
Old September 23, 2016   #10
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Well my friend's son was going to come over and make a pass with his tiller but never called.So I turned it over with my garden fork.It did not come out perfectly smooth but it will do.I hand tossed the seed as I always have done in the past.Should see the rye come up in as little as 48 hrs.Hairy Vetch comes up a little later.Watered well,so another season done.Glad it's over but I do enjoy hand turning it.My back will let me know that I'm 63 later tonight,lol.
Old September 25, 2016   #11
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Checking the seeds today that I just tossed on the ground,and I see the little tails sprouting out of the rye seeds.Gave them a good watering today.Rye up in less than 48 hours!Amazing!
Old October 5, 2016   #12
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
....So I turned it over with my garden fork....
Is that the S&J fork? How is it holding up? I just pretzeled a new Craftsman, and am looking for an upgrade
Old October 5, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
Is that the S&J fork? How is it holding up? I just pretzeled a new Craftsman, and am looking for an upgrade
Probably said made in China on it too.
I would take the thing back and complain maybe they well take the hint or go broke.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2016   #14
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Yes it is.I really like it,very strong.I keep it clean and rub it down with WD40 when I'm finished.I keep it in my basement.I bought it from Park Seeds.I had good service from that purchase.I know some others were not as happy with them.
Old September 25, 2016   #15
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

How tall will the rye/hv get? Die out over winter? How much time between turning it under in spring and planting your tomatoes?

I don't know how well it will work, but our local ACE had 1/2 lb Southern States bean and pea seeds on clearance last winter. When I bought them for planting they were on clearance - then they dropped them to 10 cents. I bought more, gave some away to family and friends, and thought I would try them as a cover crop since they fix nitrogen, etc.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote