Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 29, 2016   #1
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Something is eating my yacon leaves.

I can't find any caterpillar under the leaves. There could be millipedes in the container, but I can't imagine they have that level of appetites, besides they prefer dry organic matters. Could earwigs eat this much?

I've been spraying the leaves with my neem oil + peppermint soap and it seems to help a bit, not sure if it fully solved the problem.

I could put a tomato cage over it and use mesh netting, but I don't know if the pests come from outside or within the containers. I have three containers and it happened on all of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_20160329 (2).JPG (308.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg img_20160329 (3).JPG (244.4 KB, 40 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #2
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Gonna say a bug, since it ate it's way around the veins. Japanese beetles like to eat in the middle of leafs like the first picture.

Dunno how long you've been using neem oil + peppermint soap. The first doesn't have a knockdown effect, its systemic so its going to be awhile for that to kick in. I also dislike that it's primarily long chain hydrocarbons, which means you can fry your plant on a hot day. The latter... well I guess it depends on formulation and concentration. I'm guessing you're trying to stay organic, in which case I'd recommend Spinosad instead.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

You could go out at night with a flashlight and see if you can find the culprit. DE would also be a good choice on both the top and bottom of the leaves. It could be caterpillars, slugs, earwigs among a host of others.