Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old January 2, 2010   #1
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Default Sauces Recipes

White Sauces
Thin White Sauce (for cream soups)

1 tablespoon butter or other fat
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Medium White Sauce (for graves, sauces, creamed and scalloped dishes)

2 tablespoons butter or other fat
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Thick White Sauce (for cutlets, croquettes and souffles)

4 tablespoons butter or other fat
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

(Zana's note: I prefer to use a "half and half cream" rather than milk since there is less lactose and it gives more body to the sauce. You could also substitute a heavy cream too.)

Method 1 - Melt butter, blend in flour until smooth. Add milk gradually, stirring constantly until boiling point is reached. Reduce heat and cook for 3 minutes longer; add seasonsings and blend. Place over hot water to keep hot and cover tightly to prevent film from forming.

Method 2 - Heat milk. Blend butter or other fat and flour together and add to hot milk, stirring contantly until mixture thickens. Cook for 3 minutes longer, add seasonings and blend.

Variations on White Sauce

Use 1 cup medium white sauce as the basis for each sauce.

Caper Sauce - Add 2 to 4 tablespoons chopped capers.

Celery Sauce - Add 1/2 cup chopped cooked celery.

Cheese Sauce - Add 2 to 4 ounces grated cheese. Set over hot water and stir until cheese is blended with sauce. Season to taste with mustard and paprika.

Cream Gravy - Use 2 tablespoons meat drippings for butter in white sauce recipe.

Cream Sauce - Use cream instead of milk in white sauce.

Egg Sauce, No. 1 - Add 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped.

Egg Sauce, No. 2 - Beat an uncooked egg, dilute with 1 tablespoon of hot thin white sauce, then beat this into the remainder of a cup of sauce. If the egg white is beaten separately, the sauce will be foamy.

Lobster Sauce - Add 1/2 cup finely flaked cooked lobster.

Mock Hollandaise Sauce - Pour sauce over 2 slightly beaten egg yolks, 2 tablespoons each of butter and lemon juice, beat thoroughly and serve immediately.

Olive Sauce - Add 1/4 cup chopped ripe or stuffed olives.

Oyster Sauce - Heat 1 pint small oysters in their own liquor to boiling point. Remove from heat after they have cooked 1/2 minute and combine with sauce. Season to taste.

Parsley Sauce - Add 2 to 4 tablespoons chopped parsley.

Pimiento Sauce - Add 2 tablespoons minced onion and 6 tablespoons minced pimiento. Onion may be browned in fat when making white sauce, if desired.

Shrimp Sauce - Add 1/2 cup chopped cooked shrimp.

Soubise Sauce - Rub 4 boiled onions and 2 sprigs parsley through a coarse sieve. Combine with sauce.

Tomato Cream Sauce - Cook 1 cup fresh or canned tomatoes (Zana's Note: I have found that I now prefer to use black tomatoes for this, as they give a deep, smokey flavour to the sauce.), 1 stalk celery, 1 slice onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grains cayenne together for 20 minutes. Rub through a sieve. Add gradually, stirring constantly, to white sauce.

Veloute Sauce - Use 1 cup well-seasoned white stock for milk in thin or medium white sauce.

Yellow Sauce - Add hot sauce to 1 to 2 slightly beaten egg yolks and beat thoroughly.

All the above from The American Women's Cook Book, edited and revised by Ruth Berolzheimer. Published by The Culinary Arts Institute, Chicago, 1956.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2010   #2
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Basic Cocktail Sauce:
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tb horseradish sauce
a little lemon juice

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2010   #3
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Sauces and gravies can bridge the difference between a mediocre dish and a phenomenal one.

I've been surprised many times over the years whenever I've met someone that can cook but doesn't know what a roux is, never mind how to prepare one.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2010   #4
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Brokenbar’s Marinara Sauce

5 gallons processed tomatoes (no skins, no seeds.)
6 Cloves Garlic Minced
4 Smallest Cans Tomato Paste
2 Pounds Sweet Italian Sausage
2 Pounds Ground Beef
½ Cup Red wine Vinegar
2 Pound Sliced Mushrooms (fresh or canned)
4 Large Carrots Peeled & Grated
6 Large Bell Peppers, Any Color, Seeds Removed, Diced
6 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning (or 2 Tablespoons each of fresh Basel, Oregano, Parsley)
2 Cups Sugar
¼ Cup Olive Oil
4 Tablespoons Salt
¾ Cup Lime Juice
1 cup red wine vinegar

Bring tomato sauce to boil. Lower heat and simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
Add tomato paste, stir well.

Saute sausage, ground beef. Drain off grease thoroughly. Saute onion, peppers mushrooms (if fresh mushrooms) garlic and carrots in olive oil until translucent.
Add meats and vegetables to sauce mixture. Add all spices, salt, sugar, vinegar and lime juice to tomato mixture. Simmer 20 minutes on VERY LOW HEAT (be careful…this is thick and will scorch easily.) Fill appropriate number of “2-quart volume” freezer containers or process, 90 minutes at 15 pounds in pressure canner for quarts (the time and lbs is for my area, above 4,000 feet.) THIS MUST BE PRESSURE CANNED if using jars. The meats in it make it unsafe to just hot water bath can.

The lime juice and vinegar are what keep this sauce tasting very fresh after freezing and canning. They keep the ingredients from breaking down. The carrots neutralize the acidity.

This is a robust and flavorful sauce. It is my own recipe that I have used for more than 20 years.
Old January 18, 2010   #5
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Broken
That is a full blown spagetti or Italian pasta sauce - and yours reminds me of my recipe - both of which are better than plain old marinara
Dennis

PS
Marinara derives from the Italian word for sailor, marinaro. Due to these origins I have seen many people say that marinara sauce must contain something from the sea, usually anchovies. Actually this is not the case, the origins of marinara sauce are that it is the sauce that they made in Naples for the sailors when they returned from the sea.
It is usually meatless.

Last edited by mtbigfish; January 18, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2010   #6
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

My family won't eat anyone else's sauce...I also use only Costoluto Genovese for the sauce. It comes through the tomato mill practically as finished sauce. Mt neighbors LOVE IT when I am processing because they each get a 5 gallon bucket of sauce and my recipe.
Old January 26, 2010   #7
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

mine doesn't eat it - they drink it almost - my veggie niece will stray only for my spagetti sauce - we must both have winners- they look close to me except you have me beat on you use real fresh maters - i use italian stewed and lots of onions - rest is same
Old January 26, 2010   #8
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

My husband and son got me an electric tomato mill for xmas...I would like to think they bought it because they love me, appreciate all I do and knew I would like it but... in the back of my mind is a nagging little thought... "If we buy this, she can make more sauce faster!"

I usually bring in about 2,000 green tomatoes at the end of the season and ripen them and then make sauce also. I have a guest room we don't heat (don't want to encourage them to stay....) I have had several people do a "taste test" between the vine-ripened sauce and the indoor-ripened sauce and they all say there is absolutely no difference. My recipe really freezes great...no degradation in flavor (funny...frozen stuff seems to degrade faster than canned stuff...I have no idea why! Gradual air getting in? I use really good freezer containers.)
Old January 27, 2010   #9
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Broken
I think I am jealous - I have been eyeing one in a couple of magazines like Williams Sonoma etc but not electric
do you have any info on name brand and where to buy?
Thanks
Dennis
Old January 28, 2010   #10
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Dennis, I got this one: OMAZ TOMATO MACHINE .50 HP SPREMIPOMODORO no. 3 (300.00) I will ask my husband where they bought it.

• ELECTRIC TOMATO MACHINE
  • MADE IN ITALY
  • HOME USE
  • POWERFUL 1/2 HORSEPOWER MOTOR
  • MILL'S UP TO 330 LBS OF TOMATOES PER HOUR
  • 115 RPM, 110V, 3 AMPS
  • BAKED ENAMEL FINISH
  • FUNNEL AND TRAY STAINLESS STEEL
  • SELF LUBRICATING
  • No. 3 SIZE FUNNEL
  • 1 YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL PARTS / EXCEPT SCREEN

SEE MEAT GRINDER ATTACHMENT BELOW #12
ADDITIONAL SCREENS SOLD SEE BELOW

But...I have a friend who bought
This one below and she says it works like a dream. It is 1/4 horsepower whereas the one I got is 1/2 horsepower. I process 2 to 3 thousand tomatoes is why I wanted the higher horsepower. The one below is a bargan in my opinion.
Electric #5 Deluxe Meat Grinder with Tomato Strainer
Today: $74.99

Brief Description

Item#: 12135582
  • Meat grinder is a must-have for the well appointed kitchen
  • #5 meat grinder includes a tomato strainer
  • Specialty appliance runs on a powerful 200-watt Motor (120V)

Last edited by brokenbar; January 28, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2010   #11
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Here is a sauce I like on steaks and pizza.

Chimichurri Sauce

Ingredients
large bunch of fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, thick stems trimmed
handful of fresh cilantro leaves and stems
leaves from 2 to 3 stems of fresh oregano
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 to 1-1/2 cups (237 to 355 mil) extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup (119 mil) red wine vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preparation

1. Put the parsley, oregano, garlic, and about 1/4 cup (59 mil) of the olive oil into the food processor and pulse until the leaves are coarsely ground.
2. Add the red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper and pulse. Continue to pulse while drizzling in the olive oil. The sauce should have a fair amount of liquid, though some people prefer it to be a little more dry, so check for consistency to meet your preference.
3. Serve immediately. Store in a lidded jar for up to one month in the refrigerator. If the olive oil thickens up, just allow the chimichurri to come to room temperature before using.

Dean
Old January 28, 2010   #12
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Anyone have a good pesto recipe without pine or walnuts?

thanks,

Dean
Old January 28, 2010   #13
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Broken
Thanks for the info
Dennis