Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old September 13, 2020   #1
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing winter vegetables - my new project

I have prepared three flower beds for growing winter vegetables.
Flower bed 1
The plants on the left half of the bed will be covered with a standard 19 g / m2 non-woven fabric in winter. On the right half I will use a fabric of 50 g / m2, which is intended, among other things, to protect plants from frost. Winter onions (Augusta, Hiberna and Senshyu) will be planted in the rows on the side. Brasicas will be planted on the two middle rows, always in pairs, so that the skin can be compared to which textile protects the plants.
Flower bed 2
Today I planted cauliflowers in this bed from the sowing on August 7, 2020- Walcheren Winter 5 (5 ks), Aalsmeer (5), Galeon (5), Celebrity (5) a Winter Roscoff (5). Next week I'll put Nine Star Perennial Broccoli (4) here. Due to the pests (Cabbage White and Cabbage Moth), I temporarily covered the planted cauliflowers with a curtain, which will be there for about a month. Then I cover the flowerbed with one of the tunnels (I have them now in the autumn brasicas) and the one above them will remain until spring. As soon as it starts to freeze, I will insulate the tunnel with a non-woven fabric 50 g / m2. I probably won't open the tunnel during the winter. I have watered with a pipe placed in the middle of the flower bed.
Flower bed 3
Here I will gradually plant the remaining Brassicas - Arkta cabbage, Pylon F1 cabbage, Limba and Steel broccoli and also some winter salads - Humil, Apollo, Ledano and King of May. I move the second tunnel to the flower bed. I won't sow salads until tomorrow - there's plenty of time yet.
Flower bed 4
I have not prepared this bed yet, there will only be salads covered with non-woven fabric 19 g / m2.
I would just like to add that the temperature and humidity in the tunnel (even outside) will be measured throughout the winter at a height of about 20 cm above the ground. Surely these will be important data for deciding how to grow Brassicas in the coming years.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2611.jpg (266.7 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2613.jpg (239.4 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2530.jpg (207.6 KB, 403 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2020   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

That is my new project too. Nicely done.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2020   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
That is my new project too. Nicely done.

Bill

Bill, what is going in your winter garden?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2020   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Bill, what is going in your winter garden?
Not much yet. I just got two beds worked up after around 10 inches of rain from Sally. I was surprised the beds could be worked just two days after the storm. I will be planting mustard and turnips this week. I already have a few Sweet Success cucumbers and a small fence for them as well as about 20 feet of Maxibel beans set out a couple of days before the storm. They look a bit ragged after getting pounded by the rain and wind but if the whiteflies will slack off I think they will be fine. I also have all the usual suspects started in my tiny greenhouse but they are not even large enough to pot up so I don't know when they will go out; but it will be earlier than I have been able to start fall crops in years. Lately I have just had a winter garden. I am loving this cooler weather and hope it hangs in there for a while. It has been a very long time since I had a good fall because summer has just lasted too long the last couple of years.

Are you going for a fall/winter garden?

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2020   #5
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Just a small point. Give your 9 star perennial spot in a corner as it should be good for several years and it takes up a lot of space. Great set up. I do a winter garden in my greenhouse and I love it.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2020   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Vladimír, you have a good spot going!

Bill,

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I just got two beds worked up after around 10 inches of rain from Sally. I was surprised the beds could be worked just two days after the storm.
Bill
Boy, you're right about that! We got 7.5" here and and the second day after the storm all standing water in the garden had been sopped up and the ground was walkable!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2020   #7
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Just a small point. Give your 9 star perennial spot in a corner as it should be good for several years and it takes up a lot of space. Great set up. I do a winter garden in my greenhouse and I love it.
Hi Anne,
With that 9 star it should stay in place even a few years in advance. That's why I salted it four seedlings until the end of the flower bed. The problem will be how to protect these plants against cabbage whitefish and cabbage moth. They'll probably still have to be in some thick cage. For now, they will be in a tunnel covered with curtains along with cauliflowers.
Vladimír
PS.:We have an extremely wet autumn, it rains every day. Cauliflowers are doing well, photo from yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2618.jpg (119.7 KB, 276 views)
Old October 6, 2020   #8
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday I planted winter onion seedlings. They are not big at all, but I hope that they will still grow and overwinter well.
Vladimír
PS.:I am currently harvesting cauliflower and broccoli from summer sowing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2623.jpg (149.3 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2622.jpg (186.0 KB, 245 views)
Old October 15, 2020   #9
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
PS.:We have an extremely wet autumn, it rains every day. Cauliflowers are doing well, photo from yesterday.
They're looking really good! Nice growth since the last photo.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2020   #10
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

It is a mistake. These are not cauliflowers or broccoli from the flowerbed in the photo in this thread. These are brasicas from sowing on June 18, 2020 intended for harvest even in the autumn. The ones in the picture will overwinter and if they last our winter they should be harvested in early spring,
Vladimír
Old October 15, 2020   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Looks great, extending the season into winter should be very rewarding !
I’ll be interested in your progress

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2020   #12
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This is what my beds of brassicas look like now. I already covered them.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2641.jpg (100.2 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2636.jpg (107.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2637.jpg (100.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2643.jpg (195.0 KB, 172 views)
Old October 31, 2020   #13
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hey Vladimir, things look very nice. Good job building out all of that infrastructure, and thank you for posting the pictures of your efforts. Which Brassicas are you growing? Is there cabbage in that mix?
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2020   #14
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

In those flowerbeds I have:
Cauliflowers Celebrity, Galeon, Walcheren Winter 5, Winter Roscoff and Aalsmeer.
Cabbage Pylon F1.
Kale Arkta.
Brroccoli Limba, Steel and Nine Star Perennial.
Vladimír
Old November 5, 2020   #15
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
In those flowerbeds I have:
Cauliflowers Celebrity, Galeon, Walcheren Winter 5, Winter Roscoff and Aalsmeer.
Cabbage Pylon F1.
Kale Arkta.
Brroccoli Limba, Steel and Nine Star Perennial.
Vladimír
Thank you. Sorry I missed your very precise description of things from Sep 13. I just saw it tonight.

rg
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote