Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 20, 2006   #1
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Default Last years tip

I read on a forum for containers to use cut up diapers that hold water so that during the lean times the gel releases water. I used it on dwarf tomatoes and it worked well. The thing is you have to add the water to the diaper and soil first otherwise it swells up huge and the soil pops out of the pot. (it happened)
This stuff in diapers is the same as the expensive gels but you can buy cheap diapers! It should help in my hanging baskets this year. It is best to take the shell part of the diaper off and just use the inside.-Rena
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #2
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

I remember someone on That Other Site mentioning that the stuff in diapers is the same polymer sold as "Soil Moist" and other products.

I also remember people discussing whether it was safe to use them for growing edibles. They're probably not a good idea if you're going strictly organic; but are they toxic? The labels say they can be used for veggie gardening. (I've only used them in containers of ornamental plants.)

Does anybody care to comment? I'd love to grow a few more 'maters in (sterlized) old bird seed and cat litter buckets, and the absorbent crystals would certainly make that easier.
Cecilia_MD7a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Nope the roots pull it out. I noticed today at a high end nursery that those crystals were 32.00. The diapers contain the same gel stuff. I know I know we also have plenty of diapers :wink:
Old February 22, 2006   #4
boonies
Tomatovillian™

Any recommendation of size of diaper per size container?
boonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #5
Rena
Tomatovillian™

haahah you must have kids! If it had not worked so well I would not of shared. It is not something I would share with the neighbors!!