Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old June 2, 2014   #31
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

My seedlings were a bit leggy this year and now they're doing well, so I'm not as bummed! I only had problem with the severe winds this spring, the frail stems were shredded and lost a lot of seedlings. I'm glad I had 85+ of them!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014   #32
Davezone5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post
I do see what you mean. When I transplanted one just a couple of days ago, I'm already seeing an amazing growth spurt ahead of the others. It's like the plant detects an absence of barriers and starts sending out more roots that allow it to grow faster. We have had excellent weather in our location, and I could have taken earlier advantage of it. At least I'm not repeating mistakes I made last year.
Exactly, I started all mine in peat pots this year, some a little earlier than others. The ones I started first, I transplanted those into solo cups and they shot up after transplanting them. The ones that stayed in the peat pots stayed pretty small but have since taken off after putting them in the ground.

Also they started getting stockier after moving the seedlings from indoors under a light and fan to outside in a mini hoop house (with the ends open for air flow on warmer days) when it was warm enough.

They're all starting to even out since they've been in the ground and we've had a few good rains.
Davezone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #33
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodak View Post
what is "growth inhibitor?"
It must be short term.
Growth inhibitors are a chemical application to keep plants compact. Plants have a natural growth regulator in them called cytokinins. Here is an explanation of them. Some are used as a drench in the soil others are sprayed on the foliage and yes, there is only a specific amount of time they actually keep a plant compact.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/life-sci...lePage=9435376

I don't use them here in my greenhouse at all. I think it is very deceptive to sell something that in two or three weeks when the chemical is no longer effective and looks like it exploded and the customer wonders what did they do wrong, because their flowers look messy???!!!???... Now they are great for poinsettia crops, but that is the only thing I can honestly say I think the product is great for since few people expect to keep their poinsettia past the holidays.

As for being so dark of green they also spray on the foliage a 20-20-20 spray to get the dark green that they are. I do spray a foliar feed when they are looking a little peaked when we miss the fertilizer application in the water. (my DH doesn't put enough in the bucket)... or they turn purple form the cold weather and can't get enough phos. in them. Within a few days the difference is quite noticeable and I can see where some where missed then it takes a while for those to catch back up. But once they are in the garden is when the best growth occurs. I planted 50 peppers on Wed? of last week and on Monday of this week another 50 in the next row. The difference between the two rows was stunning. No amount of fertilizer makes up for more root growth in the garden.
Old June 7, 2014   #34
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Growth inhibitors are a chemical application to keep plants compact. Plants have a natural growth regulator in them called cytokinins. Here is an explanation of them. Some are used as a drench in the soil others are sprayed on the foliage and yes, there is only a specific amount of time they actually keep a plant compact.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/life-sci...lePage=9435376

I don't use them here in my greenhouse at all. I think it is very deceptive to sell something that in two or three weeks when the chemical is no longer effective and looks like it exploded and the customer wonders what did they do wrong, because their flowers look messy???!!!???... Now they are great for poinsettia crops, but that is the only thing I can honestly say I think the product is great for since few people expect to keep their poinsettia past the holidays.

As for being so dark of green they also spray on the foliage a 20-20-20 spray to get the dark green that they are. I do spray a foliar feed when they are looking a little peaked when we miss the fertilizer application in the water. (my DH doesn't put enough in the bucket)... or they turn purple form the cold weather and can't get enough phos. in them. Within a few days the difference is quite noticeable and I can see where some where missed then it takes a while for those to catch back up. But once they are in the garden is when the best growth occurs. I planted 50 peppers on Wed? of last week and on Monday of this week another 50 in the next row. The difference between the two rows was stunning. No amount of fertilizer makes up for more root growth in the garden.
thank you!
Old June 21, 2014   #35
TerpGal
Tomatovillian™

Mine looked wonderful this year. Not very stocky but very green. I put a little osmocote in the nursery pots when I potted up from the peat pellets. My peppers looked awesome too (no osmocote on those though). I gave my mom a bunch of my extras and she exclaimed they looked just as good as anything in a nursery and that I should go into business LOL. I've been doing this 6 years now. Learn something new every year.
TerpGal is offline   Reply With Quote