Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 4, 2016   #1
marc108
Tomatovillian™

Default No small fibrous roots on my citrus. Rooting hormone?

I recently transplanted a 5 year old Meyer lemon from a pot to the ground and when I pulled it out the root ball, it wasn't really a ball... the larger root structure was there but there were none of the small fibrous roots that make up the 'webbing' of the root ball. The tree was poorly taken care of for about a year... it has about 2 dozen leaves and the wood is still alive. I've been giving it ground and foliar applications of foliage pro but it isn't looking too good.

Is there anything else I can do? I've seen rooting hormone tonics at the garden store, would that be a good option? Thanks.
marc108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2016   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I have a three Meyers in terra cotta (large) in a enclosed pool area that are 9 years old now and do give me fruit.Three times now I have trimmed dead branches plus ugly leaves.At the nursery where I got them the staff said not to "amend"soil at transplant/rootball cleaning.They are accustomed to their original medium.When I pull them out I hose the roots real good,I soak them in a light fertilizer bath for about 1-2 hours,then replant to newly cleaned larger container to prevent girdling of roots.I have never witnessed smaller spiderweb type roots just larger stronger onesThe nurserys here container seedlings to about 3-4 foot then you should copy the nursery medium to ensure new root development in its new location.The Meyers has such pretty foilage when really healthy.They do not like wet feet,and they are heavy feeders untill they establish thier root systems inground,full sun is recommended also.
Old February 5, 2016   #3
marc108
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I have a three Meyers in terra cotta (large) in a enclosed pool area that are 9 years old now and do give me fruit.Three times now I have trimmed dead branches plus ugly leaves.At the nursery where I got them the staff said not to "amend"soil at transplant/rootball cleaning.They are accustomed to their original medium.When I pull them out I hose the roots real good,I soak them in a light fertilizer bath for about 1-2 hours,then replant to newly cleaned larger container to prevent girdling of roots.I have never witnessed smaller spiderweb type roots just larger stronger onesThe nurserys here container seedlings to about 3-4 foot then you should copy the nursery medium to ensure new root development in its new location.The Meyers has such pretty foilage when really healthy.They do not like wet feet,and they are heavy feeders untill they establish thier root systems inground,full sun is recommended also.

Hey Kurt, thanks for the tips. What I mean is that the roots did not look like this or even this but rather like this (minus all the tiny hair like roots).
marc108 is offline   Reply With Quote