Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 17, 2006   #16
vegomatic
Tomatovillian™

There's a waterpipe heating cable that goes by the name of Frostex. It works by capacitive induction rather than resistive heating. What this means is there is no direct connection between the two conductors. They heat inductively by the distance between the conductors, along their whole length. The advantage is they can be run in wet conditions and don't need a thermostat to keep from overheating the wires. They just emit a gentle heat along the entire length. Any custom length over 10 feet can be made, up to 100 feet per cable. You seal one end, install a plug on the other and install.

For indoor flats that I wanted to apply bottom heat to, I ran a string of Christmas lights underneath the shelf.

You can use simple lamp dimmers to control the heat from Christmas lights or low-power heat cables, although the solid-state dimmers do emit some rf noise that may interfere with AM radio reception.

-Ed
vegomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006   #17
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Quote:
And no, turning on one light fixture for under two weeks to germinate something is not going to make the cost higher than buying a heating mat, b/c I know how cost concious some of you are.
LOL - Bully and I often talk about the thriftiness (ok, cheapness of tomato growers on all forums). If somebody spends a nickel on a pot for instance, there will be somebody who says...'waste all that money!'...I found it at so-and-so for a penny...only to have another cost-conscious person respond with 'a penny! My God man!!! What a waste of cash, dude!...go to Starbucks and they will pay you to TAKE them!' ....

Anyway, of course Carolyn is right about not needing a heat mat for tomatoes. I have one, but I use it mainly for my peppers. Before that the top of the boiler and water heater also worked...and it was free! This is my main hobby, so aside from an occastional book purchase I sometimes want to spend money. Don't even get started on the Texas Tomato Cages, Greenhouse, Tiller, etc.

Duane
Dukerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006   #18
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Vegomatic- that info is real interesting, you dont happen to have the web addres for frostex do you as I would quite like some.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote