Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 12, 2006   #1
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Time Line...Pic Included

Started Seeds March 10th, Transplanted in Ground May 4th, Noticed 4 tomato plants with first blossoms on today, 3 of which are Surprise Tomato plants.

I transplanted a nursery bought Cherokee Purple (The dogs killed mine) The 7th and it also has blossoms beginning on it.

Other than the beginning wind damage they seem to be doing great!

Black Prince, Korney's Cross "A", Viva Italia, Delicious, Sweet 100 Cherry, Earl's Faux, Cherokee Purple, Super Marzano, Dick's Tomato, German Johnson, Yoder's German Yellow, Sasha's Altai Pride.
Then The 10 Surprise Toms.

I'm can barely wait for that first ripe tomato
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006   #2
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

First open blossom today the 18th.

I'm a bit concerned that things are growing a bit to fast up top considering how recently they were transplanted in the ground.

Hopefully it is reaching down with its roots, the water level is about 2 inches below the soil line for the tomato plants.

This is Surprise Tomato #1 it seems to be a Potato Leafed Variety.
Old May 18, 2006   #3
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I love that close-up photo showing the blossom & the sun radiating off the hairs on the stem & leaves ... great shot!
Old May 18, 2006   #4
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Nice pics, JB. What are the PL Surprise tomatoes? If you mentioned it somewhere else, I missed it.
Old May 19, 2006   #5
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

If I posted it before was in photo gallery awhile back, They are an "Indeterminate Tomato Assortment" pack that I recieved I believe as one of the very generous extra packs.
I started the seeds, I don't recall how many I started but I ended up with 10 Tomato plants, so I have planted them in my garden and named them ST-1 through ST-10. (ST, Surprise Toms)

For me they are the 10 Leafiest Mysteries of the season, and I attempt to read them daily

Nothing better than a really good Mystery.

And thank you for the compliments on the pics, My lil Olympus D-425 does a pretty good job.
Old May 19, 2006   #6
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

I was very Surprised indeed, to notice that the first plant of mine to form flowers on this year is ( Paul Robeson ) it is streets ahead of the others regarding flower formation, I never took this variety to be an early flowerer before- this is the first time I have grown it.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote