Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 15, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Ferns in the Shade

I built two raised beds in nearly complete shade. To call these beds "dappled shade" is sort of stretching it. My wife has chosen 3 fern varieties to grow in these beds. But before I get to those varieties, I should explain more about these beds.

I've made it well known that we live in a trailer house. There are no gutters, so the rain that we get goes directly into these raised beds. In years past, we tried a few plants without any success in this area. So I raised the beds by around 4" and there is at least 8" of amended sandy loam in these beds now. (Amended with oak leaves and washed up soil/sticks.) The soil there smells like something you would imagine earthworms loving to live in. One bed is 3 x 14' and the other is 3' x 21'

My wife bought these ferns to grow in those beds:

Tennessee Ostrich Ferns
Christmas Ferns
Cinnamon Ferns
And I have two Asparagus ferns that are two years old - they overwintered here and I want to offer her.

I really don't know much about ferns other than they grow well in shade, and by what my
wife has read to me - they like wet soil.

Ferns should love those two new raised beds. What are some varieties of ferns you would plant there too?

I'm in Zone 8A in Texas - it gets very hot here. The lakes and rivers are overflowing - so watering isn't a problem.

I have always liked ferns. Seeing a "menagerie of ferns" growing in front of our house would be breathtaking in my way of looking at this. I know, "menagerie" is about animals but - you know what I mean.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; March 15, 2016 at 12:53 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #2
JoParrott

The ferns should all do well in the shade, but rain beating down on them would not be good. Asparagus fern will also grow happily in full sun
Old March 15, 2016   #3
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I had some trouble growing shade ferns in 8a. They have to be in the complete shade 100% of the time, especially in the afternoon. I have live oaks in the front yard that provide dense shade, but the July/August setting sun + heat was enough to fry any shade plants under them once the sun set and it dipped below the branches illuminating the ground underneath for about 3 hours. That's all it took, burned to a crisp.

If you have dense, uninterrupted shade no matter what time of day it is, that should be ideal for shade ferns.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The only fern I can get to grow here is the Japanese Holly Fern.
The Fox tail struggles and the other two types croaked.
Autumn and something else I don't recall.
Water hogs for sure.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #5
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

The previous home owners planted ferns(I have no idea what type) and every year I fight them off! They grow like weeds in shade and sun. I'll try and get some pictures this spring!
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote