Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 30, 2014   #1
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Default Peas are in!

Last weekend we had snow again and temps in the upper 20's. I began to think I wouldn't try any peas this year Then we got these warm rains yesterday and a more seasonable outlook for the next ten days.

If it weren't for the raised beds I wouldn't try this year. They would rot before I could get them up. And... waiting much longer would mean they would likely fail in the heat. So, while I am wet from the rain, the snap-peas are in!.

(now to dry off a bit an go back out with the onions and spinach)

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #2
joseph
Tomatovillian™

RebelRidin: Congratulation on planting the peas (in the rain). People often say things to me like: "Your crops always do so well, mine never do nothing. What are you doing different?" I always reply with "Meh. Dunno". [I don't have a clue how they are gardening.] But I know that I am planting during snowstorms, and weeding in the rain, and getting windblown and sunburnt. I'm going home covered with mud. I'm definitely not a fair-weather gardener.

joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Nice Joseph! Mud is a good color for you.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My peas are just starting to come up! Looking forward to some spring-like weather this coming week so they get a chance to grow! Like you, hoping it doesn't get too hot too soon. Fingers crossed.
Old March 30, 2014   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

mine just popped up yesterday, in the container, on the kitchen table.

last year they were killed by 24 degrees the night i planted them out, 1st time that ever happened. this year i hope to not repeat that.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #6
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
...I'm going home covered with mud. I'm definitely not a fair-weather gardener.
Good looking harvest there Ginger is right mud does look good on you!

The peas gave me courage so when I thought the rain let up a bit I headed back out with spinach seed and then I went ahead with my leeks and onions. Of course, as soon as I did, it started to rain in earnest. I'm pretty well bushed tonight but I got some gardening in!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old March 31, 2014   #7
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I wish I dared get into the garden in the rain, but it's near muck with a lot of clay and the soil just doesn't tolerate any kind of activity on it.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014   #8
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I learned how to plant peas effectively from reading experienced gardeners' online blogs.
It is very reliable and easy, I get close to 100% germination.

1. Sow 8-12 seeds per seed trays (the standard rectangular blacks ones, 1"x3"x6"?). The seedlings should emerge within a few days, when they are about 2-3" tall, dump the whole tray out and plant directly into the garden beds as one whole block, do not try to divide them. You can space the blocks however far you see appropriate.

2. Instead of using seed trays, you can also use lengths of rain gutter. Plant seeds in two rolls, 1-2"inch apart.

U only harden them off briefly (1-2 days) before planting them out under plastics, as I have no extra space to keep them inside.

I find option 1 works better, cleaner when you try to take the blocks out. You can start carrots the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
Last weekend we had snow again and temps in the upper 20's. I began to think I wouldn't try any peas this year Then we got these warm rains yesterday and a more seasonable outlook for the next ten days.

If it weren't for the raised beds I wouldn't try this year. They would rot before I could get them up. And... waiting much longer would mean they would likely fail in the heat. So, while I am wet from the rain, the snap-peas are in!.

(now to dry off a bit an go back out with the onions and spinach)

Last edited by NewWestGardener; March 31, 2014 at 09:26 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #9
snippits
Tomatovillian™

I planted two rows of peas March 4th, and the temperatures were a lot cooler than normal.

One row was Ferry Morse Melting Sugar snow peas, and I had about 75 percent germination rate. Probably would have been better germination, but some seeds were eaten by birds and field mice. The peas popped out of the ground round about three weeks. Ground temps were around 40 to 45 degrees.

The other row was Wyatt Quarles Super Sugar Snaps. Lost some seed to birds and field mice too, but the germination was horrible. Probably about 15 percent came up. These were planted at the same time as the Melting Sugar. It's too late now to replant, so I am just going to dig up what little is there, and plant some Blue Lake green beans in about a week or two.
snippits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #10
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Default Got a nice stand going

Going out to plant in the rain paid off. The timing was just right. I got a nice stand of peas out of it. I would guess about 95%. That's good for peas in my experience.

George

Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old April 12, 2014   #11
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

The birds around here thought pea sprouts were delicious, so I have none. I didn't have that problem last year, my only other experience with peas. Ah well, live and learn.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2014   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Prepping the pea rows in the fall helps me get an early start but this year is my latest first planting ever because of the snow- March 21st. That row has plants a couple inches tall now and today the March 31st planting is emerging. Yesterday I planted some more- I LOVE peas!

Riceloft- the pea rows get covered with tunnels of old chicken wire for just that reason- corn, too.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2014   #13
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Do you put a trellis in later then? I've read that peas don't like their root zone disturbed, so I put the trellis in, then plant the peas. I'm not sure how I'd get them covered with that in the way.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2014   #14
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I'm fortunate in that I have near zero problems with warm blooded pests. Our cats are the worst offenders of those. When they see me dig in the beds they think they should too! So far this year they're behaving themselves. As they get older I think that helps too....

I did have something peculiar with the tops of peppers getting nipped last spring. I thought it might be birds but I never found out for sure....

George

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Last edited by RebelRidin; April 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old April 12, 2014   #15
snippits
Tomatovillian™

Well I found out what's destroying my peas. Voles! Never seen them before ever. I have numerous holes all around the edges of the garden, and holes right down the two rows of peas.

Got some Ortho Home Defense Max Press 'N Set Mouse Traps because they have super reviews. They are reusable too. I baited one with peanut butter, put the trap with bait right at the hole entrance, covered it with a clay pot with the drainage ducts taped, and within three hours I caught one. I got six set now all with clay pots set over the top of them.

One package has two traps, and Home Depot stocks them for $3.97 a pack. I read that apple was the best bait, but peanut butter works too. These voles have to go because they eat every thing.
snippits is offline   Reply With Quote