Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2019   #16
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

I thought they had not grown due to transplant shock and total cloud cover 24/7 but comparing pic from 5 days ago and now they have grown for sure

001.jpg
001 (3).jpg
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019   #17
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting Out

I have set 24 yesterday and today and feel wore out. My 81 yr old neighbor who is rawhide and a seasoned gardener set 350 plants some Mon and the rest Tues. He is unbelievable. Took radiation for a spot on his lung couple months back but you would never know it. Nice weather here along the Ohio River. Have 60 plants to go. Waiting for my son to get up so I can use the tiller. Its all good.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019   #18
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
Cant be worse than my first year growing Toms.

I had 85 Lbs ripe, 38 Lbs unripe and 2 Lbs rotters,

Trouble was they were all moneymaker variety and nobody liked the taste, including me.
Ha ha! I always grew Moneymaker because it was the variety that my mother always bought (as seedlings) from Woolworths. She would send me seed packets from England and I didn't even know at the time that it was an OP variety. One season, I discovered that there were other varieties out there and when I grew some of them, I learned that I really didn't like the acidic taste of Moneymaker .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #19
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting Out

Put three more rowes of 8 each in today and ran the tiller in the just right damp earth. At one point I got a perfect sniff of damp earth and it reminded me of days gone by. I had not smelled that in a long time. Its what its all about. Dig dirt. Make hole. Insert little plant. Then watch.
Old May 2, 2019   #20
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
Put three more rowes of 8 each in today and ran the tiller in the just right damp earth. At one point I got a perfect sniff of damp earth and it reminded me of days gone by. I had not smelled that in a long time. Its what its all about. Dig dirt. Make hole. Insert little plant. Then watch.
Good luck, sounds like you have a very good amount of them so should be huge harvest
Old May 2, 2019   #21
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Ha ha! I always grew Moneymaker because it was the variety that my mother always bought (as seedlings) from Woolworths. She would send me seed packets from England and I didn't even know at the time that it was an OP variety. One season, I discovered that there were other varieties out there and when I grew some of them, I learned that I really didn't like the acidic taste of Moneymaker .

Linda
They are bad, the 2nd and 3rd years I grew tigerella, Shirley F1, Gardeners Delight and Orkado F1.

Now my 4th year 5 Gardeners Delight, 9 Sungold and 3 Red Alert.

I really rate Gardeners Delight and will always grow them.

Moneymaker, never again in my life.
Old May 7, 2019   #22
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Another update to compare at day 1 planted out, 5 days later and todays photo, 6 days later again.
Have several open flowers on the sungold now and pollinated some with electric toothbrush.
No open flowers on Gardeners Delight at all yet so they are lagging behind in production interestingly.
But the 5 Gardeners Delight on the left look to have denser growth and the Sungold more open and elongated growth pattern.

001.jpg

001 (3).jpg

001 (4).jpg

Last edited by xellos99; May 7, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old May 8, 2019   #23
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting Out

Those are beautiful young tomato makers.
Old May 18, 2019   #24
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

April 25th VS May 18th. 23 days growth

T1 25th April.jpg

T6 18th May 2019.jpg