Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 1, 2021   #16
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
When I began using grow bags I also had issues with BER for the first two years. After that I switched to a 4-18-38 fertilizer with Cal. Ni. & Mag. Sul. liquid feed applied 1 or 2 times per day. Also started checking moisture twice daily in the soil less mix of the grow bags and BER went away almost totally. Now I'm a happy camper even though this is labor intensive but the productivity is worth it.
That is a great formula that is well tested. To be exact, we add equal parts of 4-18-38 and CaNO3, and about two thirds of those ratios is Epsom Salt/ MgSO4. For 100 gallons, 8oz, 8 oz ,5 oz- every time you water if the media is similar to Pro Mix. If watering is good, a grower should rarely if ever del with BER . pH should be around a 6.2 with an EC of 2.0- 2.2.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2021   #17
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Yes Sir !
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2021   #18
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
That is a great formula that is well tested. To be exact, we add equal parts of 4-18-38 and CaNO3, and about two thirds of those ratios is Epsom Salt/ MgSO4. For 100 gallons, 8oz, 8 oz ,5 oz- every time you water if the media is similar to Pro Mix. If watering is good, a grower should rarely if ever del with BER . pH should be around a 6.2 with an EC of 2.0- 2.2.
AKmark question---So you are saying more than 4 oz of MgSO4. (two thirds instead of one half ratio). Are you talking "Heirloom" varieties or Dutch greenhouse type varieties ?

Dan
Old April 2, 2021   #19
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
AKmark question---So you are saying more than 4 oz of MgSO4. (two thirds instead of one half ratio). Are you talking "Heirloom" varieties or Dutch greenhouse type varieties ?

Dan
I do believe HG raised it to 5, Masterblend is 5. I use even more in AK with our long Summer days. A leaf sample sure helps dial in the product for your area, other than that if you see no signs on the lower leaves of deficiency don't mess with it. We grow many varieties every year, I grow our own crosses of heirlooms, we grow hybrids and no Dutch varieties currently. Ive grown them in the past, just not my thing

Last edited by AKmark; April 2, 2021 at 01:13 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2021   #20
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

OK thanks for the heads up. I was not aware that HG raised it. I will try increasing it for my upcoming growing season.

Dan
Old April 2, 2021   #21
NmRuss
Tomatovillian™

Default ber

For ber i use milk. 2 cups per plant along with epsom salts. Works wonders and is quite cheep.
NmRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021   #22
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Age OLD issue, BER
Other than what has been mentioned (container growing, uneven watering Ca deficiency )
another factor is that some varieties are more prone to BER than most other.

I have mainly experienced it on ROMA.

HINT. you can make your own Cal supplement right in your kitchen.
simply save your eggshells. Wash them,crush them and add good old vinegar to it..
Wat you will get is Calcium Acetate (plus the water in the vinegar already).
Add like a cup of it per gallon of water.

You can use also fast acting lime (instead of egg shells)to make a big batch.
Wood ash also has lots of calcium.

Since the Ca is in ionic form Ca++, it wiill be readily available to plants.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote