Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 10, 2021   #31
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

I've used the Jiffy Pods for a couple years to start anything I wanted to have a head start before going outside. Last year I couldn't have asked for better looking plants. This year has been a total disaster.

Peppers did great, both the bells and the jalapenos. They popped right up, almost as fast as the tomatoes.

Cauliflower and broccolli have been a mixed success. From a total of 38 plants that were up, I'm down to 25 I think.

Tomatoes have been mostly a disaster. I'm sitting here debating what to do for this year now. I've already replanted some once a couple weeks ago. And as things sit riht now, I've got 4 cherry baby's...wanted 5. 2 of these are replants. I do have 3 Super Beefsteak that look like they are doing really good, but 2 are replants from the original 3. I have 2 Porterhouse, but they look iffy. And out of 7 planted (too many by mistake) I have 1 Early Pick Hybrid VF that has made it this far.

They germinated in the peat really well, and then just stalled. Well, can't even say stalled is the right word. They grew up, 2-3" rapidly, and then stalled. Took forever for them to start putting on true leaves. Out of desperation, I repotted them into 3" pots which helped, but was too late for some of them I think.

I am going to try regular flats and starter soil next year I think. I can't help but think that for some reason the peat cells just weren't good for me this year.
D.J. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2021   #32
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I've tried these Jiffy Pellets quite a few times, and have never been successful with tomato plants. Plus, there is that darned netting and for me, they seldom expand properly.

Best success for my tomatoes is from Burpee's Coir Seed Starting Mix. BUT -- you must start fertilizing promptly, and asap, transplant to something like Miracle-Gro potting mix. The bags can also have mold on the top of the Coir, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. (I scoop it off.) I put the Jiffy Pellets in the category of "sounds like a good idea, but isn't."

I've also had good luck with Metro-Mix and sifted Miracle-Gro Potting Mix + added perlite. Sifting the MG is a bit of a chore, but overall, it may be the easiest way to success. I suspect that any good, sifted peat-based potting mix + perlite would give equally good results.

Last edited by Greatgardens; April 21, 2021 at 07:13 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2021   #33
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

I've used Magik-Moss seed starting mix for 10 or more yrs. with excellent results. Highly recommend it.

Last edited by Yak54; April 22, 2021 at 02:18 PM.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2021   #34
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I use Fox Farm Happy Frog for germination and pot up into Ocean Forest. Have used for years and never have had issues. Stuff smells sooo good when you open the bag! Last year I could not get Happy Frog so used something I picked up at Home Depot - I battled that germination, stuff stunk too, was just not up to what Fox Farms has in their bags. Lesson learned!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2021   #35
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutOrchids View Post
I use Fox Farm Happy Frog for germination and pot up into Ocean Forest. Have used for years and never have had issues. Stuff smells sooo good when you open the bag! Last year I could not get Happy Frog so used something I picked up at Home Depot - I battled that germination, stuff stunk too, was just not up to what Fox Farms has in their bags. Lesson learned!
Hi-
I might give these a try if I can find them locally. At their web site, I find "Happy Frog" potting soil (brown bag) and "Ocean Forest" (light blue bag) potting soil. These are the ones you use (for tomatoes)? Thanks.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2021   #36
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Hi-
I might give these a try if I can find them locally. At their web site, I find "Happy Frog" potting soil (brown bag) and "Ocean Forest" (light blue bag) potting soil. These are the ones you use (for tomatoes)? Thanks.

Yes, I use the Happy Frog for seed germination. Fox Farms has a seed germination formula which I tried one year, just felt it was lacking. For me, Happy Frog is a far better medium for germination. I seed into 1 x 1 x 2 trays - not a fan of jiffy pots - these I can reuse. I pot up into a small red solo cup (think they are about 8 oz) with Happy Frog, but I plant low in the cup. Once I get a set of true leaves, as the little plant grows, I add in Happy Frog. Once the plant is up and growing and a bit root bound in that cup, I pot up into a 3 x 3 using Ocean Forest. I do plant deep when I pot up. I watch the seedlings, you can tell when they are looking for more nutrients - I suppose I could pot up initially into Ocean Forest, but it is considered 'hot' due to the nutrients.

I grow in my basement under lights and run a fan on low and fertilize with Urban Farms Vegie fertilizer until I have fruit set outdoors. My plants are used to cooler than optimal conditions and 'wind'. I end up with plants that really don't suffer much during the hardening off process. I start early, as early as I can when temps start going above 50. Even a few hours outdoors is good for them. I do not have my seedlings outside during rain - ever. I think because of the coolness of the basement, they grow a bit slower, I have nice stocky stems on my plants. They are typically bursting when ready to plant out, flowering, early tomatoes started which I might or might not lose during plant out. I use tunnels when I plant out and always push my planting dates but do wait until evening temps are above 50. A few nights a degree or two under won't affect them, especially in the tunnels. I prefer to plant when I have a cloudy day or two in the forecast. I use a dip with Biota Max, Actinovate and Mycogrow Soluble when planting out with a tbsp of epsom salts in my planting hole.

More info than you asked for...
Old May 5, 2021   #37
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

What kind of tunnels do you use?
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2021   #38
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I use these from Gardeners.com...
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/bosmer...l/8608863.html

Looks like Amazon sells poly tunnels as well....
https://www.amazon.com/Tierra-Garden.../dp/B004ZQOZZ6

At the end of the season, they wash up nicely and store fairly easily.
Old May 6, 2021   #39
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote