Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 24, 2020   #16
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
One of their bonus packs is now a favorite pepper. Ajvarski
I've been growing Ajvarski for years now. A great pepper for sure!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2020   #17
Savllen
Tomatovillian™

All my seeds from BC have been amazing. I have had over 95% germination, will continue to use them for along time to come.
Savllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2021   #18
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Just a heads up that Baker Creek invited Cliven Bundy to speak at their Spring Planting Festival a few years back, and when people understandably got upset, they doubled down, tried to claim they didn't understand that he was problematic, and then canceled his appearance while blaming the people who objected to him for making the atmosphere potentially unsafe.

In case you don't remember, Bundy not only engaged in illegal occupation of government land, but he's on record saying that Black people were better off as slaves and is actively engaged in anti-Indigenous activism in the name of "land rights".

I know everyone is different when it comes to taking politics into account in consumer decisions, but I thought I'd put this out there so you can make your own decision.

Personally, I was already hesitant about Baker Creek because of their insistence on perpetuating certain fake variety information (Carolyn had a lot to say about this when she was with us) although I like the convenience of ordering from their site when it comes to varieties I knew were legit, but the Cliven Bundy incident was the final straw for me. I haven't ordered from them since and have yet to encounter a variety of veg I want to grow that can't be sourced from someone else.

https://www.rootsimple.com/2019/05/b...undy-to-speak/
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2021   #19
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Even though I live within a 90 minute drive of Bakers Creek, I have never made the trip, though I will make the trip and check it out.

As far as the above controversy, I don't believe everything I hear or read in today's cancel culture and everyone who doesn't believe the same as others must be a racist. I plan on buying some stuff at Bakers Creek when I visit.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2021   #20
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

3 varieties of eggplants from BC refused to germinate this year, and now I see that they were darned slow last year too. Those seeds were from 2018 though, so I guess I really do need some new ones.

Apart from that, I love shopping at BC, their free shipping and bonus seed packets .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2021   #21
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

It has been many years since I vowed to stop purchasing from BC. It was a combination of wrong varieties problems, poor germination, sour taste from iDig and objectionable politics. Last I knew the catalog was nice to look at but have not seen one for quite a while. Good there are choices for everyone.
Old April 17, 2021   #22
lj in ny
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog View Post
I love BC for the interesting varieties they've brought us and will continue to buy things from them I can't find other places, but as they've grown I have seen a little loss of quality control in terms of germination and a few seeds that didn't grow true. From what I understand they have many smaller growers providing seed, so some may just not be doing as good a job on proper seed storage or keeping their seed straight. A friend of mine grew 4 kinds of peppers from BC last year and 2 of them were not true. For instance, the poblano turned out to be a rather poorly growing small bell pepper.
This pretty much lines up with my experience too. Great variety but roll of the dice as to true to type and germination rates. I prefer to use other vendors that have better track record.
Old April 18, 2021   #23
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I never bought there because I'm from europe, but they introduced a ton of quality OP eggplant varieties, and still are, they are pretty much the only ones that are still struggling to make this great vegetable popular outside of Asia/East Europe. Not sure about other species, but for sure many other vendors just copy what they introduced and becomes popular there.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2021   #24
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Some points about seed quality may legitimately describe how it was.

But my experience is that Baker Creek's seed quality/seed correctness and customer service has caught up with it's growth.

I really think "I stopped ordering X years ago because of seed quality" comments are out of date and not particularly relevant.
Old April 18, 2021   #25
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

However, because they use smaller growers for some of their varieties, particularly more unique ones, issues of seed quality will always be there to a small extent. I think it is the price you pay for variety.

And FYI, I get no royalties from Baker Creek, nor do I sell seed to them.
Old April 18, 2021   #26
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

One thing I think is really great about Baker Creek is that they have very large numbers of people reviewing the varieties they sell. And the reviewers, in general, seem to take their reviews quite seriously.

I know of no other place to read such extensive and helpful reviews of the varieties that they sell. It is really my go-to place if I want to see reviews of OP vegetables.
Old April 18, 2021   #27
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I've only ordered peppers from BC. Great seed count, excellent germination & fair postage. All good for me.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote