Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old September 9, 2018   #286
imp
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, guess some coffee and some reading is in store for me, LOL!! I'll be using containers this next year for the first time and trying to get some decent yields to can up and share.
Old September 9, 2018   #287
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Thanks, guess some coffee and some reading is in store for me, LOL!! I'll be using containers this next year for the first time and trying to get some decent yields to can up and share.
I would look up Haifa's tomato guide. You should also consider Hydrogardens tomato growers manual. It is 10 dollars I think and is excellent. If you follow the directions you should be alright. However, it is really nice to own a PPM meter and a pH pen to make sure you are on track. Observation combined with knowledge of deficiency signs is very helpful too. You should polish up on that, and maybe element antagonism.

There is a learning curve, but it is not so bad. Put in a bit of effort to learn this and you will be canning tomatoes, and giving them to the neighbors too.

We have all winter to figure things out, I have a bunch of new stuff I am working on too.

Good luck

Last edited by AKmark; September 9, 2018 at 03:01 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2018   #288
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I would look up Haifa's tomato guide. You should also consider Hydrogardens tomato growers manual. It is 10 dollars I think and is excellent. If you follow the directions you should be alright. However, it is really nice to own a PPM meter and a pH pen to make sure you are on track. Observation combined with knowledge of deficiency signs is very helpful too. You should polish up on that, and maybe element antagonism.

There is a learning curve, but it is not so bad. Put in a bit of effort to learn this and you will be canning tomatoes, and giving them to the neighbors too.

We have all winter to figure things out, I have a bunch of new stuff I am working on too.

Good luck

Thanks, Mark, will spend some time looking stuff up and working it.
Old September 15, 2018   #289
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes

Another batch of nice heirlooms heading to town. The YBW's almost glow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY2104.jpg (325.1 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2105.jpg (266.0 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2107.jpg (269.1 KB, 309 views)
Old September 15, 2018   #290
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Mark,
I am very interested in the YBW. The Brandywine pink did well for me here. Now my cherokee purple are starting to pick up some steam.Hurricane surviviors times two.
Aloha,
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #291
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes

They just keep looking better as the season progresses. I sent quite a few of these to the market in the last 6 weeks or so.

I have to say that YBW is the best marketable yellowish- orange tomato I have found. The taste is exceptional, and they have real appeal when you look at them. Again, after growing them for 7 years, I have not found a more perfect selection for a yellow. They yield a lot, they withstand growing issues very well, and they throw some very large tomatoes.

I always hate them in Spring, they catface, and are irregular, but I love them by mid summer. LOL

KBX is good, Amana Orange is good, it goes downhill from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY2108.jpg (227.3 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2109.jpg (183.8 KB, 284 views)
Old October 11, 2018   #292
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default One more

The last new taste of the season.

I did Rebel Yell x Mat-Su Express F7.

Not quite as early as I expected, about 110 days from seed.

The flavor is exceptional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY2110.jpg (263.4 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2111.jpg (264.0 KB, 236 views)
Old October 11, 2018   #293
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
The last new taste of the season.

I did Rebel Yell x Mat-Su Express F7.

Not quite as early as I expected, about 110 days from seed.

The flavor is exceptional.
Mark, if you get this to F6 with that same beautiful meatiness, and the exceptional flavor, I would like to be first in line for seeds. Hopefully its production is like MSE, rather than RY. I am growing MSE again this season, it made the cut!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018   #294
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Good cross, Mark! I am salivating thinking about this one! Hope you can stabilize it successfully.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2021   #295
swordy
Tomatovillian™

Wow that is indeed a nice thread. So beautiful healthy plants and a big crop! Very informative in a greenhouse conditions and possible problems one could meet. Well done!
swordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2021   #296
dshreter
Tomatovillian™

Mark, I’m not sure if you’re still tracking this thread. I’m trying to emulate some of your approach with 4-18-38 in grow bags with ProMix. One key difference is I have 10 gallon grow bags.

My concern is on fertilizer concentration build up since it would take an abundance of water to get it to waste out the bottom each time. The ProMix can absorb a ton before it is draining through.

Do you have any experience working with bigger containers? And how did you manage it?
dshreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2021   #297
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordy View Post
Wow that is indeed a nice thread. So beautiful healthy plants and a big crop! Very informative in a greenhouse conditions and possible problems one could meet. Well done!
We pass information. I am in a good network from Guatemala to Alaska. We do a lot of traveling to expand our business as well as knowledge. Piece of cake.
Old April 16, 2021   #298
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshreter View Post
Mark, I’m not sure if you’re still tracking this thread. I’m trying to emulate some of your approach with 4-18-38 in grow bags with ProMix. One key difference is I have 10 gallon grow bags.

My concern is on fertilizer concentration build up since it would take an abundance of water to get it to waste out the bottom each time. The ProMix can absorb a ton before it is draining through.

Do you have any experience working with bigger containers? And how did you manage it?
Those fertilizers are really clean per say, we let just a bit drain out. What some may not know is we grow for 8 months. These fertilizers are developed by leaf samples, we double check their work with our own leaf samples.

I have grown ripe tomatoes in everything from a 4" container to a 20 gallon container, we have used many methods, fertilizers, programs, etc, over the course of 30 years. What we found is we can produce very well in four gallon, awesome in 5-6 gallon, under four gallon for me yield starts getting affected, taste remained great.

In large containers we enjoyed growing large plants with 3-4 vines. We got 50lbs from German Queen and over that from Delicious in 7-10 gallon containers.

I grow to get maximum yield from a square foot of space, so we are strict with pruning, gh layout, everything has to be well thought out.

It really is super simple and easy, but like anything, the more you do it the better you will get.
Old April 16, 2021   #299
dshreter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mark! I appreciate the reassurance
dshreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2021   #300
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Do overwatering not at every watering then, and dose the fertilizer according with the runoff EC when you do overwater. It's really the root zone EC that matters mostly, and runoff EC will be a good aproximation. More frequent flushing will give a more stable nutrient solution (especially in terms of nutrient balance), there's a reason they grow in rockwool in top greenhouses. Also, as long as aeration is high (coarse peat is especially important, not sure what promix has), you can have high water retention, the roots don't rot from water but from lack of oxygen.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote