Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 6, 2006   #16
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Michael
I have already ordered,for the first time, plants from Laurel because they were friendly and helpful. Locally I purchase plants from Pacific Potager. They specialize in tomatos that do better in our Pacific Northwest envoirnment.
Old February 6, 2006   #17
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Craig -- Do you mind naming the pelleted fertilizer you get at Home Depot, or would it be obvious to me if I go there?

(Hi, Sue!)

Sherry
Sherry_AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2006   #18
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Sherry-I dont know what Craig is using, but espoma tomato tone is very good for containers-dont know if they sell at home depot, since espoma doesnt distribute to Texas-I get mine from eithe Totally Tomatoes or Yardiac.com
Old February 8, 2006   #19
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Default pots....

I have some sections of white plastic drainage pipe that is about twice as big around as a 5 gal bucket. I cut it into 24" sections and bury the bottom, and dig out the soil under it. I effectively have about a 3 foot deep rased bed / bottomless pot.
I grew a Neves azorean red, and a MASSIVE sungold in a few of these last year....
In fact the tomato on my Avatar was my first Neves of the year in 2005.
Old February 9, 2006   #20
travis
Tomatovillian™

Check out this link:
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-...roperties.html

Read about Perched Water Table (PWT) in containers down in the section called "Air vs. Water."

Last summer, the tomatoes and peppers growing in pots into which I inserted a wick trailing out the bottom of the container set up on bricks did a whole lot better than the plants in pots without wicks.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #21
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

A lot of my containers are sitting on soil so I put large holes in the bottoms or even cut the bottom clean off the pot. This would do the same as wicking and better as the roots can get past the pot and into the soil below.
That being said , i did have a half wine barrel sitting on concrete that was getting waterlogged, so I put a couple of wicks in it through holes drilled in the sides near the bottom of the pot. This helped a lot.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2006   #22
travis
Tomatovillian™

Mantis,

You make a good point. The tomatoes that rooted into soil under my pots setting right on the ground (they sent roots out the drainage holes) didn't blow over like some of the ones that had wicks and were setting up on bricks.

I was experimenting a lot last summer and should fine tune it more this year.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2006   #23
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Craig, amazing that you bleached containers and used fresh potting mix and still got what you thought may be fusarium. I have never read of a possible insect vector--beside the soil itself all the articles mention seeds, transplants,tools, tomato stakes, contaminated water, etc.

Wonder if it could be something else--for $20 you can have a plant analyzed in Raleigh at the U of NC. That seems so cheap to confirm what you may suspect.
I was pretty sure I had TSWV but still paid $20 to know for sure.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/clinic/

(Under How to Submit Samples there is also an interesting link to Clinic Summaries of all the diseases of tomatoes (and other plants) that were ID'd at U of NC lab. Southern Bacterial Wilt seems to be tops year after year.) Good luck this year with all your plants. Farkee
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2006   #24
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Forgot to mention that Pro-mix has a new formulation that includes a bio-fungicide. Mentions that is protects against fusarium.

http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/H...rticulture.htm
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2006   #25
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Michael. I'll check out Tomato Tone.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2006   #26
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Sherry-I think you will like it-if you cant find it, let me know and I will help you find it.