Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2016   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks OzoneNY, You got a nice gift
I think that 300w LED did a good job. Do they come wit "k" rating ? Like my fluorescent bulbs are 6500k, which is the best for seedlings, me thinks.
OK folks here is another success story . If I had to buy a grow light system, I would go wit LED. But I already have 3 twin T-8 , costing me about $75.00

Ow'wite ! Let us see you seedling and hear your brag.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2016   #17
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

These are mine started at three separate times. Larger ones in top picture sprouted up between Christmas and New Years. Smaller ones in top picture sprouted up second to third week of January. Second picture seeds sprouted about 10 days ago ish.

Have to wait a couple more weeks to plant out due to the rain every few days. In these containers i can still bring them inside when the weather is bad and also every night.

The older plants have some cold damage to the older leaves but are recovering.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; February 5, 2016 at 07:18 AM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2016   #18
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Thanks OzoneNY, You got a nice gift
I think that 300w LED did a good job. Do they come wit "k" rating ? Like my fluorescent bulbs are 6500k, which is the best for seedlings, me thinks.
OK folks here is another success story . If I had to buy a grow light system, I would go wit LED. But I already have 3 twin T-8 , costing me about $75.00

Ow'wite ! Let us see you seedling and hear your brag.
As far as I can tell, the LED grow lights dont come with a K rating because they dont produce white light or at least a single wavelength of light. Instead the LEDs emit wavelengths corresponding to chlorophyll’s production. So in effect they make multiple color temperatures. There is a good Wiki out there on grow lights that explains it better than I can. However, compared to last year, all else being about the same, my seedling growth is SIGNIFICANTLY improved in terms of rate of growth and the overall healthy appearance. How this translates to tomato production in a few months is still unknown. Look good so far
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2016   #19
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

For some reason, my Charles Herring porter seeds are not germinating. Anyone have any experiences to back this up or suggestions/thoughts/ideas?
Old February 4, 2016   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneNY View Post
As far as I can tell, the LED grow lights dont come with a K rating because they dont produce white light or at least a single wavelength of light. Instead the LEDs emit wavelengths corresponding to chlorophyll’s production. So in effect they make multiple color temperatures. There is a good Wiki out there on grow lights that explains it better than I can. However, compared to last year, all else being about the same, my seedling growth is SIGNIFICANTLY improved in terms of rate of growth and the overall healthy appearance. How this translates to tomato production in a few months is still unknown. Look good so far
Here is an easy way to explain what you are talking about.
For home use LED lights that are bright daylight they use three different LED lights.
Red Blue and Green all packed into the little light source.
With these three they emit white light.
If you take out the green LED you get that crazy purple color because blue and red make purple but they dont seem bright but they are.
You do NOT want to look directly at these lights because they can damage your eyes even though you dont see them as being bright.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2016   #21
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default First batch

My first batch is almost ready for transplanting, I only had 4 out of 230 that did not sprout, so we are happy with that.
These were sprouted in pro mix HP under a HPS light
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0112.JPG (379.1 KB, 322 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2016   #22
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Here is an easy way to explain what you are talking about.
For home use LED lights that are bright daylight they use three different LED lights.
Red Blue and Green all packed into the little light source.
With these three they emit white light.
If you take out the green LED you get that crazy purple color because blue and red make purple but they dont seem bright but they are.
You do NOT want to look directly at these lights because they can damage your eyes even though you dont see them as being bright.
Worth
Oh yes. They are quite bright. The intensity of the red/blue light comes out from under the door like a poltergeist. Open the door to that spare room is like taking a trip to the red planet. I put a cover over it to contain the light and I still go in there with UV sunglasses on. Its like a tanning bed on Mars in there until I shut it down.
Old February 5, 2016   #23
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Fishergurl, & AKmark. You guys came with a bang. Those seedlings look real healthy and robust , to me. Keep on keeping on ! Whatever the system you have, you are getting good results. That is all it counts. Glad nobody is having problems.

Gardeneer
Old February 5, 2016   #24
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Started these on Jan. 10. Hope to pot them up by next Wed. Just waiting on a exhaust fan for the little HFGH, it has been getting over 100 F with just the door and window open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160205_053608430small.jpg (625.4 KB, 313 views)
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2016   #25
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wow, Fishergurl, & AKmark. You guys came with a bang. Those seedlings look real healthy and robust , to me. Keep on keeping on ! Whatever the system you have, you are getting good results. That is all it counts. Glad nobody is having problems.

Gardeneer
Thank you Gardeneer... :-) I don't use grow lights (tempted to get some) so mine just get whatever sun they can get on good weather days in between cold fronts and rain storms. I carry them outside in the morning and inside in the evening every day except bad days and then they are stuck inside and I can see them straining to get some sun. Seeing how well Worth's plants grew in the lights makes me want lights!

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; February 5, 2016 at 05:19 PM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #26
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Baby Guajillo, Korean gucho, White Naga, White bullet, Carolina cayenne, and Tabasco peppers in DE. All were started on 1/28/2016. Not sure why its sideways when I upload it but you get the idea Thanks to everyone who traded with me. I will be starting tomatoes soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160208_170506.jpg (310.3 KB, 264 views)
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #27
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

First two troopers make it to the garden today. It maybe a little early, but with all this warm weather they were willing to go early.
Abe Lincoln and Dona
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dona-Abe.jpg (420.8 KB, 236 views)
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #28
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

That Abe Lincoln is so lonely.
But it looks confident. I like him a lot, especially when it is named after a great president.

Ok folks , show your seedings and bring some life to the board. Winters are too long.

Gardeneer
Old February 10, 2016   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That Abe Lincoln is so lonely.
But it looks confident. I like him a lot, especially when it is named after a great president.

Ok folks , show your seedings and bring some life to the board. Winters are too long.

Gardeneer
I dont have seedlings I have plants.
Worth
Old February 10, 2016   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here I sowed these late.
Worth
IMG_20160210_34734.jpg