Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 7, 2010   #1
Red Dirt Farmer
Tomatovillian™

Default CORN DISCOLORATION

I am starting to harvest my sweet corn. Most have worms so I cut off the ends. I have noticed about 25% of the ears have some discolored (brown) kernels. Even down near the good end. When I cook these ears, the underling cob is also discolored red. Is this caused by the worms or something else?
Ken
Red Dirt Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2010   #2
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dirt Farmer View Post
Is this caused by the worms or something else?
Ken
Probably...the borers, when small will cause lots of damage, at other locations, other than the most evident location when you harvest the ears.

A good trick to help prevent the borers is to add a couple of drops to the silks, where they emerge from the husk, as soon as you spot them. Bt, spray, will also help, but may take a while...
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2010   #3
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Brown kernels are rotten...don't eat 'em. You may have harvested your corn a little late. Next time poke your thumbnail into a couple of kernels...if they squirt a milky fluid, they're ready. Some varieties of corn have a red cob.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2010   #4
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Is it posable that your corn has cross polinated with other corn such as field corn? YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #5
Red Dirt Farmer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your replies. As far as I know, there isn’t any corn growing within miles.
The brown kernels seem to be related to the corn worm damage but in some cases they are isolated further down the cob. I attempted to thwart the worms with spray Pam, but I think I was too late.

As far as ripeness, the brown kernels have been there from when the corn was still mostly white, it’s yellow and white when ripe.
Has anyone tried Parasitoid wasps to control the corn worms?
Ken
Red Dirt Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote