Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 1, 2016   #151
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

For any Virginia folks who're interested -- we'll be having a couple open houses/tomato tastings here on Southern Exposure Seed Exchange's farm this month. This year we're doing two different days, since we had so many people show up last year when we only did one day. This year's days are Saturday, Aug. 20th, 2-4 PM, and Saturday, Aug 27th, 2-4 PM. We should have ~40-50 tomato varieties ripe for tasting by then, plus some peppers and herbs and maybe a few melons. PM me for directions if interested!

We're in central Virginia, in Mineral (near Louisa), halfway between Charlottesville and Richmond.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2016   #152
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
For any Virginia folks who're interested -- we'll be having a couple open houses/tomato tastings here on Southern Exposure Seed Exchange's farm this month. This year we're doing two different days, since we had so many people show up last year when we only did one day. This year's days are Saturday, Aug. 20th, 2-4 PM, and Saturday, Aug 27th, 2-4 PM. We should have ~40-50 tomato varieties ripe for tasting by then, plus some peppers and herbs and maybe a few melons. PM me for directions if interested!

We're in central Virginia, in Mineral (near Louisa), halfway between Charlottesville and Richmond.
One of the few weeks of the year I will be out of town. Hope you post the results here. Thanks, Gary
Old August 18, 2016   #153
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Update on tomato tasting: we've decided to just do one tasting -- too much to do, not enough time/people to put on two tastings -- so the one tasting will be this Sat (Aug 20th), 1-4 PM
Old September 2, 2016   #154
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

SESE:

I'm fairly new to Tomatoville, so excuse me if you've answered this before. Do you all have a store in Mineral? (I occasionally have court cases in Louisa and would love to stop in - because I'd rather be gardening!)
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #155
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hermine has put an abrupt end to any kind of summer garden I had left. After this, I'll have to pull everything out and do a lot of clean up. I hope my cages aren't too badly bent and banged up. All my fall veggies were just tiny seedlings. They've probably drowned. I think I'll just start over with a few greens to get through the fall--some lettuce, collards and kale. What a mess.
Old September 3, 2016   #156
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

So sorry to hear that Shelley. I'm in Williamsburg and we got less that an inch of rain.

I have some Kale seedlings started along with some other fall plants. Let me know if you would like some.
Old September 4, 2016   #157
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. I still have more seed. Once I get this mess cleaned out, I'll plant again.
Old September 8, 2016   #158
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
SESE:

I'm fairly new to Tomatoville, so excuse me if you've answered this before. Do you all have a store in Mineral? (I occasionally have court cases in Louisa and would love to stop in - because I'd rather be gardening!)
Southern States in Louisa carries some of our packets, though this late in the year they probably don't have much. Unfortunately, we're not really set up for folks dropping by here randomly -- since our office is on the farm, and we're often busy outside, it makes more work for us to stop what we're in the middle of and get together seeds and get distracted by conversations... best time for stopping in is during our summer open houses. (Or come to the Heritage Harvest Festival at Monticello this Saturday -- http://www.heritageharvestfestival.com/ -- we'll have almost half our varieties there!)

(Colonial Williamsburg also carries some of our packets, offhand I don't know how many varieties.)
Old September 8, 2016   #159
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Ken B

Certainly understood. I'll be watching for your other events.
Old September 8, 2016   #160
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

+1 for the Heritage Harvest Festival at Monticello. Wish it were closer to me!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017   #161
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

This past Sunday it reached 81 degrees here! I wore shorts... in February... to clean out the rest of my garden. I wish that weather had lasted but it's still been a pretty mild winter and it seems we may be in for an early spring. Once I get some compost worked into my raised beds, I'll be ready to plant cool weather stuff at the beginning of March. I have lettuce and kale seedlings under lights now. Outside, I'll be planting sugar snap peas, some golden beets, radishes and spring onions. Looking ahead to April planting, I've thinned my herb and pepper seedlings and I'll thin the tomatoes soon, and all those will be moved out to the garden around the second week of April. Anybody else started?
Old February 15, 2017   #162
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

It has been a good growing winter! I have 4 or 5 types of kale that overwintered well - its actively growing now in the garden. Much of my garlic is also sending up shoots - hopefully we won't get nailed with really low temps.

I have Candy onion seedlings that look great; and my first wave of tomato seedlings are starting to poke their heads up. This weekend I'll start another group of tomato seedlings along with pepper and eggplant.

I think you are frost free a couple weeks earlier than me.

Jeff
Old February 15, 2017   #163
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

You are probably right, Jeff. Our last frost is usually the last week or two of March, but some years, especially lately, I've had to wait to put tomatoes out the third week of April, just to be safe. I sometimes work the Williamsburg farmer's market with my sister and I'm amazed at how much difference there can be in temperature between there and Virginia Beach.
Old February 15, 2017   #164
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Shelley:

It is amazing. I travel down to the VB court quite a bit - I usually watch the temperature climb the closer I get to the water.

If you are looking for any organic potting soil, the Walmart on Princess Anne has it for half off in their outdoor area. I've been picking up a few bags each time I'm down there.

Jeff
Old February 15, 2017   #165
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

I started all of my peppers this past weekend and a few tomato's
since I had the room. I have a more dedicated spot in mind this year
for my lights and seedlings but I need to install some shelves first.
Surprisingly I have lettuce and kale as well. Pulled up the last of the
carrots last week. We had a very late frost last year that effected my
potato production. I remembered to cover the strawberrys but not the
potatoes so I will be very cautious setting out this year.
Best of luck to everyone. Hope your season goes well!
Gary