Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 20, 2008   #31
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Today is BEAUTIFUL! About 50 degrees with lots of sun. We are just recovering from heavy rains the past two days - I thought for sure I'd be planting by now, but the ground is saturated and it looks like more rain is coming. Oh, I HOPE the forecast is wrong! This is the lastest I will have ever planted in the 4 years we have been here.
Old March 22, 2008   #32
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I got my peas in last Sunday. Fortunately. We then had several inches of rain and again, fortunately, it was not a downpour but rather a steady rain, so the seed stayed put where I planted it rather than in a pile at the end of the row.

It certainly is wet here. We can see standing water on the Missouri River bottomland that lies at the foot of our "cliff." And just a few miles to the south the Meramec River is in full flood. I feel sorry for the folks affected by it.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2008   #33
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm really glad I started my lettuce inside this year. It's already full size and ready to eat. Started pulling radishes too. Cabbage looks good. Peas are about 15 inches tall. Potatoes have started to sprout out of the soil. Hardly any beets germinated and this was my last try at those. They never do well for me.

These aren't really spring veggies but I am happy I got my tomotoes, peppers, eggplant and herbs planted in the garden today. Next I'll move on to the stuff that needs warmer soil--cuke, snap and lima beans, squash, pumpkins, okra, sweet potatoes, melons.

I hope everything is growing well for everyone!
Old April 15, 2008   #34
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I was really lazy this year and didn't grow any snow peas or any other spring crops despite having such great success with snow peas last spring. The only thing I planted in January was potatoes (I've harvested a few and they're great!).

Perhaps this fall or next spring will be the 'great experiment' with cole crops here.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2008   #35
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

A sign of the late spring here--my asparagus is just now starting to come up. The Sugar Snap, Sugar Ann, and Caselode peas are up. I did reseed some that the birds got and they are just peaking out of the ground. I planted lettuce (Adriana and Anuenue) in large pots on the front porch. They're about an inch tall now. The thought is that they'll get some shade as spring moves along and the trees in the front yard leaf out.

The 10-day forecast looks pretty good. I'll get the remainder of my brassicas out in the garden tomorrow (I'm taking the day off from work) and get some more tilling done.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2008   #36
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

tomorrow night I will have my first cutting of asparagus. Had 3 spears last night mixed in with my spinach. Spinach is fall planted and covered now growing great. Rhubarb is about 4-5 inches w/ small leaves. Peas are SLOWLY emerging - planted March 15 but we have had a long slow spring. Lettuces just breaking ground and radishes up and just barely getting first leaves. Next two days are to be rainy and cool. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2008   #37
RosaDawn
Tomatovillian™

My cabbage and bok choi are doing great in the winter-sown containers and I'll need to transplant them into the garden soon.I just seeded spinach,arugula,bibb lettuce,looseleaf lettuce,radishes and carrots,I am lazy,should have planted long ago.I did get the snow peas in 3 weeks ago.
RosaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2008   #38
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

I have lots of tiny little pods on my Jumbo, Gold Mine, and Dragon Tongue bean plants. I harvested my first zucchini of the year last night and will cook it up today for Sunday brunch. Mm.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2008   #39
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Harvested my first straightneck squash yesterday and I have baby beans on my Dragon Tongue plants
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote