Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old April 18, 2011   #16
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Tim, I've got you on my list for Black Krim and Green Giant. Bring on the eggs, woohoo!

Lurley, Thanks for trying with the Lescana. If you don't have enough, it's no big deal. I'll just buy seed for next year!

Hoping more folks check in soon!
Old April 18, 2011   #17
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Yes Barbee, got you covered for at least one lescana, no worries.
Old April 18, 2011   #18
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Sorry I've been slow to respond.

I've got an Aunt Gertie's Gold saved for Barbee

A Yellow Red Butt for Lurley

And an Aker's W.V., Aunt Gertie's Gold, Lucky Cross and Mortgage Lifter for Tim.

Turns out my Black Cherry came to life so I no longer need one of those but I'll still take the Carbon or 2 offered.

Thanks
Old April 18, 2011   #19
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

Well, as it turns out, I won't be able to make it afterall. I forgot about an out of town wedding I will be attending that day.
Old April 22, 2011   #20
yrb
Tomatovillian™

Jerry, that is the day we will be at the church plant sale. We get done at 1pm and may be able to get packed up and up to Paxton before everyone leaves at 3. We have our regualrs! Will post a link to our list asap.
We have several from Earl not on the list that we are growing for ourselves and to share with Choptag folks.
Hope to see you then,
Amy P
Old April 22, 2011   #21
yrb
Tomatovillian™

Earl or Jerry or anyone...
do you remember the medium-lg pleated pear shaped reddish pink tomato Mr. Darby brought several years ago to the tasting? It is one of my favs and I have it listed as Darby's Red Raspberry. Another plant I got 2 or three years ago was an Alfson? orange? from a lady who's name I can't remember. Help me remember!!!
Amy P
Old April 24, 2011   #22
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

YRB,

Here is my best guess on the Red Raspberry: Taste Fest 2008
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0311.jpg (77.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0338.jpg (164.3 KB, 21 views)
Old April 26, 2011   #23
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Default apfelsin orange

Hello I brought the Apfelsin orange to the CHOPTAG. I would love to come this year. But i can not get away on that weekend. If any one wants to do a trade in dayton this week.I hope to get to the tasting this year.I WILL BE LOOKING FOR PICTURES Susan aka skyblue52
Old May 2, 2011   #24
pete
Tomatovillian™

Sorry I can not make this years swap, had a blast last year. Kids have a soccer tournement.

Pete
Old May 3, 2011   #25
richardm
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking forward to this weekend....

Plants like most other things in my life right now are behind. I will be present for the SWAP but not sure how late I will be. Volunteering at my son's track meet and those can sometimes run long.

If anyone can bring a few extra Sungold I would be so appreciative as it will allow me to get out of the tomato doghouse as I forgot to order seeds for this year. Spoiled by OP varieties.....forgot to order the one hybrid I grow.

Also, if anyone has any plain old Jalapeno peppers that would be great. Mine came up and then failed. I'll take as many as you can throw my way since I grow them for smoking into chipotle powder.

I can trade some wonderful New Mexico (Sunrise) orange peppers that make the most wonderful roaster red pepper sauce.

I also have a number of tomatoes that will be extras but nothing as extravagant as I'm reading. At work so I don't have the list handy.

Looking forward to it!

Mark
Old May 3, 2011   #26
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I can cover you on the sungold and jalepeno. Chipotles....yum! Will four jalepenos be enough? edited to add: sungold was hit by frost the other night so can only bring you and another person one each..sorry
Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

Last edited by lurley; May 6, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old May 7, 2011   #27
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Well not too many people but a whole lot of quality.

Barbee (Susan) was the only one to carry out the plant swap philosophy – come with plenty, leave with few. We found out that last year she grew a 500 pound pumpkin and a 170 pound watermelon.

Tim and Amy (Pearl and Caleb in tow) brought few and left with many. He brought fresh eggs. Plus it was Tim’s birthday so Amy brought a box of tremendous cupcakes.

Lurley, our newest CHOPTAGer came from above Columbus. It took 34 seconds for her to jump right in. I hope she felt welcome. She is growing 40, that’s right, 40 bi-colors this year. She’s determined to find a good one. She too took home more than she came with. She also has 40 chickens. Must be something about the number 40. She also shared many of her gardening tips.

Long term member, Mark, arrived later in the day after attending and working at his son’s soccer game. He shared his knowledge of various varieties making the groups discussions especially enjoyable.

Tony and Amy came from Kentucky after their plant sale with their usual array of beautiful plants. More variety information and growing techniques. Great information.

For me this gathering was a bit different than past events. With the small number of people we had a chance to have more in depth conversations. We got to hear/learn about a large array of farming and growing topics. All and all a good day.

By the way, Barbee raises pigs.

Thanks folks.
Old May 7, 2011   #28
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Made it home safe. Thanks everyone for being such a warm and welcoming group, it was wonderful to meet you all and get to pick your brains and bring home some new varieties of tomatoes. This is the link to the photo gallery where I told about how I make sauce in case anyone wants it.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16688
If anyone wants the recipe for the cake send me a pm and I'll send that out.
Looking forward to seeing everyone again in August.Can't wait to get my yellow red butt in the ground! I love saying that!
Old May 7, 2011   #29
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Well as usual, I posted in the wrong thread LoL

Had a terrific time and I feel like I got to know everyone so much better than I did before! Except for Lurley, who I didn't know at all before today but what a fun person she is
It was so nice to commiserate with everyone on the crappy weather and I felt much better driving home knowing that I was not the only person not to have my plants in the ground.
Old May 7, 2011   #30
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Sorry I could not be with all of you

Greetings to all my CHOPTAG Friends!
I was uncertain if I could come that far from home early on. Both Katharine and I have health issues which some of you know about. We have good days and not so good days. I had a terrible season with gardening last summer and lost almost every thing and it was worse with the health problems I had at that time.
I debated as to whether I would germinate any seed this year and finally decided and seeded those late late. I did those at Thienemans so they could water them daily and they would be warm and cozy in the hoop house. I brought them home last week but have been unable to transplant anything due to the rains and weather. I am hoping for a few days of sunshine -- please send some my way!
This was my eleventh year as a volunteer at Thieneman's Nursery and helped with the selection of tomato/pepper varieties. I also helped with the "Mater Days" two weeks ago with the sale and assisted the growers with questions they might have. Sure juices me up to be able to talk tomato with interested folks.

I have the August date posted above my computer and plan to be there the good Lord willing!
Gary

Thieneman's Nursery 2011 and 2010 Tomato listings.

http://www.thienemans.com/