Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 27, 2018   #1921
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

cole... that looks just like my weather report.
Old March 28, 2018   #1922
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
cole... that looks just like my weather report.
It was so rainy and cloudy today, it was almost as dark as night. Greenhouses exist on the premise that the sun will shine, which hopefully will happen one of these days.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #1923
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Getting much needed rain today.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #1924
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
It was so rainy and cloudy today, it was almost as dark as night. Greenhouses exist on the premise that the sun will shine, which hopefully will happen one of these days.
uh, yah. I am wondering what my gas bill is going to look like for this past month.
Old March 28, 2018   #1925
bower
Tomatovillian™

It was over 90 F in my greenhouse yesterday, and a bit of a stress for the greens that are out there, 45 F by morning today and pouring rain which no doubt they like better.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #1926
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

More and more rain here. 15 landslides around Pittsburgh from all the rain.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #1927
imp
Tomatovillian™

Today is cold ( in the 40's, LOL, but after being in the high 80's last week, it FEELS cold) and damp from all the rain we got in the last couple days. But, a sign of spring, for me, the old iris' I have around the base of my "baby" pecan tree out front, are starting to bloom.

They were here when I bought the place and should have been divided many times, but...a very dark solid purple and a soft clear yellow, unknown varieties. Some one told me that the old ones should not have 2 bloom periods, but both of mine varieties do most years, spring and fall. Oddly, the purples, always first to bloom, have a pure white "beard", the little sticky up things??? this year, that was always a solid dark purple before.

Any one know why?

The iris' blooming to always signal spring to me, bringing a pretty spot of color.

Last edited by imp; March 28, 2018 at 09:15 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #1928
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

three inches of snow monday night, 53 degrees today, back down to 30 tomorrow, colder after that with high temps in the 20s with more snow this weekend. snow is melting slowly, too slow for my liking. we need some warmer weather that sticks around awhile.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #1929
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

For the first time this year the night low stayed anove 50F. As we speak, at 4 am, it is 59F outside, per my remote thermometer. The frequency of lows staying above 50F increasing while mid to low 40s decreasing. With this kind of temperatures, you can direct sow just about anything.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #1930
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Well, what a dang bummer. Tornadic activity in the last few hours around here. I am so bummed for those affected. Rockport, Aransas Pass, Woodsboro, Holiday Beach. Oh, my gosh a house that was almost completed from being rebuilt from hurricane harvey is now without a roof. shaking my head. There are numerous roofs missing from homes in Woodsboro, also devastated by hurricane harvey. All these areas have been devasted by hurricane harvey and now they deal with a new weather event on their homes and businesses.

The rain came in fast and hard around 2 o'clock am with the thunder so strong I decided to turn off the television, the air conditioner, and the computer, just knowing we were going to have a power outage and it happened not 1 minute after I turned off the last thing, the computer. There are now many without power, ours came right back on, just a surge, but many are without power and they are working hard to get it back for everyone. Sheesh, can people get a break around here?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #1931
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Rockporter, that just plain stinks. When I first started reading, I mistakenly thought it was your roof missing, but I reread it. Still, it's bad that kind of weather is hitting an already devastated area.

That area is still in years of rebuilding from ground up.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #1932
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

The constant rain let up for an hour or more and I planted out most of my cold weather veggies.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #1933
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Rockporter, that just plain stinks. When I first started reading, I mistakenly thought it was your roof missing, but I reread it. Still, it's bad that kind of weather is hitting an already devastated area.

That area is still in years of rebuilding from ground up.
I had five tornado warnings in my email this morning. They were all around us. It is so sad, and I hope these people have some ability to recover once again.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2018   #1934
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Rock, I am glad you and your husband are safe and unharmed. Tornadoes are scary and I don't look forward to that part of spring/summer.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2018   #1935
imp
Tomatovillian™

Tomorrow is supposed to be dry, was dry today; maybe get my potatoes in tomorrow unless it is still muck. Even if my helper doesn't show, I'm going to try to get something done at the CG.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote