Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 18, 2007   #1
greggf
Tomatovillian™

Default what are your sparse-foliaged favs?

I'm thinking of a theme planting next season: varieties that have sparse foliage.

Got any favorites?

I enjoy seeing the fruit when it's ripening, but loathe pruning, which is why I like the idea of these (sort of) naturally-pruned varieties.

It also seems, from my limited experience with them already, that they tend to have better-than-average flavor, which seems odd, since I've always thought that heavy foliage=more photosynthesis=more flavor.
greggf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2007   #2
MikeH
Tomatovillian™

Do you mean the types that look like they are starving for water all season because the plants look wilted?If so,my vote would go to Speckled Roman and Uncle Steve's Italian Plum.

Both are good flavored,IMO,and produce well despite the lack of folage cover on the plants.

Last edited by MikeH; September 18, 2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: spelling
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2007   #3
greggf
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I think so, and thank you!

But not just the heart-shaped wilted ones, but those that have less leaf coverage in general.

I'm also thinking of ones like the few that in Carolyn's book she mentions have having sparse foliage, such as Orange Strawberry, German Red Strawberry, Reif Red Heart, and those that just have less than average leaf-cover such as Golden Queen USDA, Kellogg's Breakfast, and so on. But beyond what she lists.
Old September 19, 2007   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Gregg -- honestly, most of the sparse/wilty ones start out that way, but eventually manage to fill in quite well as the season progresses. At least that is my experience in my longish season. YMMV.

However, Tony's Italian is the most sickly / sparse looking varieties I have ever grown, bar none.

I had it in a 24 inch wide cage and the poor thing never even came close to filling it out, width-wise. Next year, it gets a stake, and not a cage.

Outstanding flavor, one of the very best on taste alone out of ~115 varieties I grew this year, in a much cooler than normal, rainy season.

Monomakh's Hat was another "wispy" elongated or oxheart type that is very good. Seems to be a compact indet, and not too awfully uncontrollable as to plant habit. Five foot tops in a garden/climate where most indets easily reach anywhere from 8-15 feet.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2007   #5
greggf
Tomatovillian™

What does the fruit of Tony's Italian look like? Is it early/mid/late? Etc.
Old September 19, 2007   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggf View Post
What does the fruit of Tony's Italian look like? Is it early/mid/late? Etc.
It's about a 4-6 oz red ovalish plum with a pointed end, indet, RL and I'd say late midseason here where I grew it, maybe 75 to 85 days depending on the weather in any one season.

I know Suze said that her wispy sparse foliaged ones fill in, but mine seldom do. Right now I'm thinking of Anna Russian in particular but will have to think a bit more about others.

Gregg, aren't you worried at all about sunscald? Unless a variety is earlier rather than later re maturity time I can have sunscald problems with the sparse foliaged types.
Old September 19, 2007   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Tony's Italian

For me, Kimberly also had sparse foliage.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2007   #8
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I guess sparse foliage depends if the tomatoes sprawl or are staked/caged.

The only truly sparse-foliaged plant I've grown was Sioux, this year. Kimberly was very full foliaged, and the 5 hearts I've grown, were somewhat sparse early on. I do have sun-related problems here with all the heart varieties, but they fill out later on like Suze said, and are comparable to the size/leaf coverage of black tomatoes.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2007   #9
greggf
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I'm concerned about sunscald. This year we had some for the first time in many years - the weather was that good.

But with Tony's Italian, I'm more concerned with BER. In my experience, the pointier the tip of the fruit, the more likely is blossom end rot.
Old September 19, 2007   #10
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Gregg, do you have very sandy soil, or extended dry spells?

A flatlander summer resident, who seems to know more about this area's statistics than anyone, says we get more summer rainfall than anywhere in the U.S., even more than Seattle where her son lives. That may explain why I never see BER on anything.

But, sunscald, and especially sublethal sunscald can do serious damage to certain varieties here. Every heart variety, Sophies Choice, and other early determinates are susceptible most years. It seems to do its worse damage with sunny, 90 degree weather right after planting time.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2007   #11
greggf
Tomatovillian™

I've read that Syracuse has more summer rainfall than anywhere else in the US, and one of our three media markets is Syracuse. And no sand, either, but still BER on some, some years.
Old September 20, 2007   #12
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Hillbilly PL and Hungarian Heart both had sparse foliage,
particularly HB. I farmed out seedlings of HB and all
reported the same thing - very spindly plant but fair amount
of tomatoes - mine finally has two. Loads of flowers. The
farmed out HB went to all different types of soil but the
same high heat, humidity, and drought. HH was sorta spindly
with low production but wonderful taste so she will come
back next year in a different location. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2007   #13
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grow a whole bunch of sparse or sparser leaf varieties. I kind of like the look too now that i think about it. Definently go w/ German Red Strawberry, I'm partial towards it and cannot say enough good things about it....so I'll just make it easy and stop LOL. I also have a thing for the Japanese Trifele Black. It's a PL and the plants I've grown the last few seasons, this year as well, definently were not overflowing w/foliage so to speak but have always produced and tasted excellently. I'm also a fan of Speckled Roman but ran into some probs with them this year. Just a one year abberation me thinks, so I'll give them another go next season. There are others....just can't think of them right now of the top of my head. See ya
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote