Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 27, 2009   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default More Free Gardening Software

Okay, here's the latest programs to be offered for free. These are all Windows-Based programs and were developed in Windows XP using Visual Basic Ver 5.0, Microsoft Access Ver 2.0, and Crystal Reports Ver 4.6. MJC says he has the original version running in Linux. Still have not heard from a MAC user that has it running.

First is SEEDTRADING. This is very much like the first version, but has improved printing and the ability to display only the IN-PROCESS trades, COMPLETED trades, or ALL RECORDS. All printing goes to your default printer, whatever you have available or access to. Below is a picture of the MAIN SCREEN. If you print a copy of a record to send with a trade, put any comments you wish to send in the bottom area of the "WHAT RECEIVED" memo box. It will be printed at the bottom of the page. Both memo boxes have "wordwrap", so just keep typing. Set up lists and paragraphs by hitting the Enter Key at the end of a line.
NOTE: If you are using the first Seedtrade program, you can download this one and install it as well. They install into two different sub-directories.

AddrScreen.jpg

Sorry, but adding the new improvements (and future upgrades) meant a significant change to the structure of the database. So, moving your records from the old program to the new one will have to be done MANUALLY.

Running both programs at the same time, and moving back and forth between the two, you can copy and paste to the new program. Simply display a record on the old program, select ADD NEW on the new program, copy and paste, and then SAVE the record. Repeat until you are done. When finished, you can UNINSTALL the old program.

Second is SEEDBOX. Seed Inventory Screen - The database that comes with this program has 10 records in it to allow you to get a feel for how it works. As you add your records, simply overwrite these test records.

SeedScreen.jpg

1. When you first arrive at this screen, the first record in the database is displayed in the white text boxes. There are labels on each Text Box that let you know what data that Text Box will be displaying. Records are pulled from the database sorted into Alphabetic order according to the Variety Name.

2. In the top right area are eight colored command boxes that will allow movement through the records (PREV RECD, +50 RECDS, -10 RECDS, etc). Also in this area of the screen are the two boxes that display the total number of records in the database and the current record number being displayed.

3. At the bottom of the screen are several selections, The first one is "ADD VARIETY". Clicking on this one will cause the program to clear out all the Text Boxes and let you enter new data to create a new record. When you are done, select "SAVE" to store the record in the database. The screen will now display record number 1.

4. "DELETE" allows you to delete the current record being displayed on the screen. It will prompt you to confirm the action and then, the record is gone and is not retrievable. You can RE-ENTER the deleted data by selecting "ADD VARIETY" and manually entering a NEW record.

5. "ADD/EDIT PIX" is a function that lets you add your own pictures to the screen (one pix per record). When you click on this label, a hidden Text Box pops up in the center of the picture frame. A Delete selection also pops up. To add a new picture, or change to a different picture in the box, click on the white Text Box and then you can Browse for the file in any directory on your computer. When you find the picture, simply double click the filename and the path and filename are transferred to the Text Box in the picture frame. Selecting "Delete" will erase this path and filename from the Text Box. When you are done adding and deleting, select Save Pix and the screen returns to the record and your picture is displayed.

6. FIND - Clicking this will cause a white text box to pop up and moves the cursor to this box. As you start typing a variety name to look for, the program searches thru the records and displays the first record matching the character(s) you typed in. Clicking on any of the other white Text Boxes closes out the FIND function.

ListScreen.jpg

7. MAKE/PRINT FILES OR LISTS - This takes you to another screen where you can create a text file which contains either your Trade List, your Planting List, or your entire list ("List All Records"). These files can be attached to an email, or "Pasted" into Posts on forums, Private
messages, etc. You can also make hard copies on your default printer by selecting the printing option. When the file are created, they will placed into the same directory this software was installed into. The format for the Trade list and the Planting List files is standard text. Windows "Notepad" will open, edit, and save your changes to this file. You can also use any wordprocessor application so that you can change fonts, text colors, etc. Printing the Entire List ("List All Records") is printed using a Special Report Format.

8. EXIT - Closes the database and returns the program to the the opening screen.

Third is PEPPERBOX. Pepper Inventory Screen - The database that comes with this program has a few records in it to allow you to get a feel for how it works. As you add your records, simply overwrite these test records. Data Fields include Scoville Units and Capsicum Type. Looks and operates like SeedBox.

Fourth is SEEDSNTRADES - This is simply a single program that is a combination of the first two.

FirstScreen.jpg

Please let me know if you have any problems. Again, these are Windows Based programs. My hope is that you find them useful.

Ted
Attached Files
File Type: zip SeedTrading.zip (5.68 MB, 172 views)
File Type: zip SeedsNTrades.zip (5.92 MB, 181 views)
File Type: zip PepperBox.zip (5.87 MB, 151 views)
File Type: zip Seedbox.zip (5.87 MB, 422 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; November 16, 2009 at 09:56 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2009   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Oh dear, my new computer will have Windows 7, and I really wanted to give your program a try. Will that mess things up? I think it is so nice of you to take your time and offer us these programs.

Mind you, I'm not offering to give up my new computer, I only ordered it this weekend!
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2009   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Ted, downloaded and opened all three with no problem. Especially like SEEDBOX as this is the type of program I've been looking for to Catalog my collection. Been using SEEDTRADING for my trades and give aways and it works great. Cool Beans! Ami
Old October 27, 2009   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Ami, the "Find" function in both the Address and the Seeds sides are there because of your suggestion.

Now, as I am not in possession of Windows 7, I must let one of you out there tell me if they will work on the new platform.

Enjoy, Y'all.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old October 27, 2009   #5
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Does this work with Vista, or only XP. I tried installing today and the install got hung up.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2009   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
Does this work with Vista, or only XP. I tried installing today and the install got hung up.
The only problem I have found with Vista is if you are running "Windows Defender", it will not allow the install. Of course, Windows Defender will not allow most things. It is a known bug and I don't think Microsoft wants to fix it.

I have Vista on a laptop and it installs and runs perfectly there. Of course, I turned off Windows Defender and use McAfee on that machine. I also have a firewall set up on my router.

Mike, I AM disappointed that M$ doesn't recognize me. After all, I have been an absolutely painful thorn in the "behinder" of someone out there. It's been a question a day and two complaints every three hours for the last 5 weeks.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old October 27, 2009   #7
mjc
Tomatovillian™

I fired up Win7 (running in a virtual machine)...and installed. I got two errors during install in Win7...an access violation for VBAJet32.dll and a registration error for daoxxx.dll, both of which I ignored. (probably related to the fact that the included versions with the installer are older ones)

After ignoring them, I ran the program (SeedsnTrades)...works perfectly.

So, yes it should work...but it may need compatibility mode and you may need to ignore the errors. Also, don't forget to initially allow the install, as this is an unsigned program by an unknown publisher (sorry Ted, M$ doesn't recognize you...).
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2009   #8
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Yay! I don't get the new computer for another two weeks, but I'll certainly load the software once I get set up.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2009   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ted-I am running Vista, no defender. It tries to open up in ms word and is unintelligible. What can I do to fix this?
Old October 30, 2009   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Ted-I am running Vista, no defender. It tries to open up in ms word and is unintelligible. What can I do to fix this?
Your computer should have recognized the ZIP file and stopped on a screen that asks you about extracting all the files. You actually can install the program from this first point by arrowing or moving down the file list to the Setup program and double clicking on it.

However, you (or anyone) can Email me at >>>>TubMaters@aol.com<<<< and I'll reply with a copy of the file you want attached to the reply. Make sure you tell me which of the three Programs you want.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old October 30, 2009   #11
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Can you open any other zip files?
Old October 31, 2009   #12
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ted-I will email you now. Mjc-I open up zip files all the time. Ted's file keeps trying to open up in word for some reason.
Old October 31, 2009   #13
mjc
Tomatovillian™

The two common causes for that behavior...the file association in Windows is messed up and Word is the program that is assigned to open zip files or a corrupt download. If you can open other zip files, then it's probably a corrupt download.
Old November 1, 2009   #14
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I got it with winzip-it took a little tinkering, but it downloaded and works fine. Thanks for the help!
Old November 1, 2009   #15
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I can add seed records just fine to Seedbox, but have had no luck adding a picture. I get "runtime error '3426' action was cancelled by an associated object" when I ok that, the program gets closed down. The pictures are just test jpg's on my desktop, the location box seems to work fine but the error appears when I click on the add pix button. I never do get the picture itself appearing. When I reload the program (after it has shut itself down) the picture info is blank again. Ami and Michael, have you added pictures successfully?

I have not had time to mess with anything much like trying a new download or replacing it with the combined download. (Too busy working on ripping out old glued down carpet in the basement ... new flooring to be coming next week ...arggghhh ... )

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote