Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old April 9, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Pressure cooker recipes

Any of you folks use a pressure cooker? If so, please post your favorite recipes using your pressure cooker
Old April 9, 2009   #2
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Good idea Duane...I use a pressure cooker but only for a few basic items like rice and beans. I would like to have a few good recipes also.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2009   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I bought mine a couple of weeks ago primarily to make chicken stock with leftover chicken, but have used it to make beef stew as well
Old April 13, 2009   #4
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I wish someone had told me about this years ago! I knew they existed--I saw how Ricky Ricardo blew up the arroz con pollo. Scary! They're not scary anymore, they don't blow up.

What is great is the time factor. Instead of thinking about dinner at 1 pm and getting ready, you can think about it around dinner time. You can make stew in 15 min. Rice instead of boiling endlessly is 5 min. Steamed carrots 5 min. Mashed potatoes 5 min. Soup 10 min.

I don't have any recipes to share, to me this is just a method. But if I have a question of how to do something or an estimation as to time, I go to www.missvickie.com The woman knows everything about PCs and has more recipes than you could use up in a lifetime.

Barb

Last edited by lumierefrere; April 13, 2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: editing
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2009   #5
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I use mine at least once a week. You can buy the toughest cuts of beef and they come out tender if you pressure cook them.

I cook eye round roasts in mine. Since this cut of beef is essentially fat-free, the traditional oven roasting method almost always converts it into something you can use to re-sole your shoes. Not so with the pressure cooker. Comes out flavorful and most importantly, chewable LOL!

I enjoyed that link to Miss Vickie's site, too.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2009   #6
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I had a small one that I used right after getting married. I probably used it at least once a week. I believe I lost the top (bell) and never replaced it.

Here some two decades later I am asking myself why I don't go get one. Some of my best memories are of my mother's pressure cooker making that memorable noise on the stove.

Believe I will be stopping by the store to day to look one over. I believe they now have some fancy ones that no longer use the bell on top.
Old April 14, 2009   #7
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
I use mine at least once a week. You can buy the toughest cuts of beef and they come out tender if you pressure cook them.

I cook eye round roasts in mine. Since this cut of beef is essentially fat-free, the traditional oven roasting method almost always converts it into something you can use to re-sole your shoes. Not so with the pressure cooker. Comes out flavorful and most importantly, chewable LOL!

I enjoyed that link to Miss Vickie's site, too.
You forgot the recipe for that eye round roast!
Old April 15, 2009   #8
Mischka

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
You forgot the recipe for that eye round roast!

1 eye of the round (often called eye round) roast
4 teaspoons fine kosher salt or 2 teaspoons table salt
2 teaspoons grapeseed or peanut oil, plus 2 tablespoons. (I specify these types because they have a high smoke point)
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour

1. Salt the roast evenly. For a smaller 2 ½ to 3 pound roast, reduce the amount of kosher salt to 3 teaspoons (1 ½ teaspoons table salt). Wrap it with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator and allow it to rest for 18 to 24 hours. Salt helps break down proteins to improve texture.

2. Remove the roast from the refrigerator and pat it dry with paper towels. Rub it with 2 teaspoons of oil and sprinkle it liberally with your favorite seasoning salt mix. I use Lawry's or Goya Adobo.

3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat until it starts to smoke. Get it hot! Sear the roast until it is browned on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. While this won't affect tenderness, it will boost flavor.

4. Add 2 cans of beef broth OR 3 beef bouillon cubes and 2 cups of water, sprinkle meat with more seasoning and put the lid on. Cook at 15 PSI for 40 minutes for a 3+ pound roast or 35 minutes for 2 - 2½ pounds.

5. When the cooking time is up, remove pressure cooker from the fire, let the steam escape and allow the pressure to come down. DO NOT immerse the pressure cooker under cold running water, as this will create a reverse vacuum inside and will instantly cool the meat down to too cold to serve. Open the cooker after all pressure is released, remove the roast and set it aside on a plate to rest for about 10 minutes.

6. Pour out the meat broth from the pressure cooker and make your gravy or use it as-is, like the French do, au jus.

Lump-free gravy made easily. Melt 3 tbsp. of butter in a large skillet. Add 3 tbsp. flour to the melted butter and work it over medium heat until flour starts to turn light brown. The trick is not to scorch the flour. Use a metal spatula and make sure you keep moving it around in the pan.

As soon as the flour turns light brown and foamy looking, whisk in your broth, slowly until mixed well. Continue to heat and whisk the gravy until it starts to bubble and thicken. Remove from fire immediately. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (There will be some salt in it already)

7. Now slice your roast crosswise (not WITH the grain) as thinly as possible. I use an electric knife. Serve with your gravy and enjoy!

MMMmmm MMMmmmm - now I want to run to the market and buy one to pressure cook!

can keep my spirit

Old April 16, 2009   #9
duajones
Tomatovillian™

thank you sir! Have to give it a try sometime
Old April 17, 2009   #10
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I found eye of round on sale at Price Chopper this morning for $1.99 a lb. I got one just because of your rave. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Barb
Old April 25, 2009   #11
Mischka

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumierefrere View Post
I found eye of round on sale at Price Chopper this morning for $1.99 a lb. I got one just because of your rave. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Barb
Still waiting to find out...

can keep my spirit

Old May 1, 2009   #12
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Oops. So I got the thing home and put it in the fridge. And I waited like 3 days. Oh boy I better make this but then I really read the recipe and you have to let it sit in the salt for a day or more. I wasn't sure if I was too late so I got out my kitchen aid grinder attachment and turned it into hamburger. It was $1.99 a lb don't look at me like I am crazy! It's good hamburger and oddly enough I used some tonight in a quick spaghetti sauce.
Old May 3, 2009   #13
Mischka

Good save on the meat, LOL!

Hopefully, you'll try it with the next eye round roast you buy.

can keep my spirit

Old February 14, 2010   #14
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Great Northern Beans

2 cups beans
6 cups water
1 T. oil [to curtail frothing]

cook for 25 minutes, let pot sit to cool and de-pressurize

add salt/pepper to taste

I use a 6 qt. Mirro pressure cooker

For me 25 minutes gives a very soft bean and should be eaten or added to other ingredients without further cooking. If you want beans a bit al dente you may need to lesson the cooking time.

I cooked some a couple days ago and put them in a great White Chili recipe from CHOPTAG President JerryL which he served at a function sometime back.
Old February 14, 2010   #15
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Earl,
I am going to cook these this week. Would you post the white chili recipe? I would like to try it.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote