Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old October 12, 2016   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default CITRUS Crisis: My Yuzu Looks Lemony This Year!!!

This will be my precious Yuzu tree's 4th year; until now, the fruits looked like Yuzus, rather squat and smallish. Well, this year all the fruit so far (they are still green and unripe so I can't tell about taste yet) are elongated with the classic lemon pointy tip at the end ! It is in my front yard, there is only 1 small Tango tangerine near it that has small round tangerine-ish fruit. Why is this happening? I read that it is a myth that citrus can cross, and for the life of me I cannot imagine why they all appear like that this year. There are only 2 main stems and the fruits have all been from them so far.
Any ideas?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2016   #2
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

A picture or two would be great to see. Interesting!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2016   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Ok I will try and get one in the next couple of days, but try to imagine a large green lemon as that is exactly what the fruit looks like. Yuzu is supposed to be pebbly, round, small and squatish. Really strange to have a tree suddenly grow a completely different variety.
Old November 2, 2016   #4
peebee
Tomatovillian™

When I was taking pics of the strange elongated yuzus, I noticed that their leaves were much lighter in color than the ones of branches with the "real" yuzus. My eyes went downward and I noticed that yup, sure enough, all these wrong ones were from a main branch that was close to the ground--NOT the main stem!
Somewhere along the way, I missed pruning out this sucker and I think it is from the root stock. So of course in my excitement I forgot to take pics of this stem, so I will hopefully remember and do so this week.
But doesn't this explain why I am getting different fruit?
I plan to wait till they ripen, just out of curiosity.
Question: is there a time of year I should prune? I usually do this in the spring or later.
Old November 3, 2016   #5
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

I was going to ask--sucker? It seems you found it. Bummer! Hope next season brings you yuzus!

Prune suckers as soon as you see them. That's why you're getting different fruit, the different fruit part of your plant has overpowered and stolen the energy from the yuzu part. Hack that sucker off!
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote