Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 17, 2020   #301
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Picked our first tomato of the season, a Yellow Pear. Have lost the plant of "Blueberries", something looked to have scraped away the outer stem layer at ground level.

Picked some Zucchinis yesterday from a plant of Goldrush x Jade Numbat, a cross made in Maffra by Mcsee's wife. These are turning out to be prolific fruiters with one or two fruit per leaf and very few male flowers on them. Yellow fruit overall with a yellow stripe on them, weigh roughly 250 grams for an 8 inch fruit. Had the main growth stem blown out of 2 of these by the wind several weeks back, left the plants in and they are shooting out 3 or 4 leaders from the base.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2020   #302
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

That sounds like a sturdy zuke, Whwoz

Sigh.... it'll be a while before there's any fresh squash around here!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2020   #303
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

The Garlic was a bit hit and miss this year, mainly because of the soil I planted it into. The local soil does not suit it so into the sand it goes next year. I left some clones in the ground hoping for bulbils to form and got bulbils plus flowers on 5 varieties without manipulation.
The varieties that flowered are
Marbled Blush
Music
Spanish Rojo
Rojo de Castro and the un-named
Mild 180-4
Old February 5, 2020   #304
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default The "Trout Cods"

I have seven of these growing at the moment, they are out of the Beauty Line from the Dwarf Project. Back in 2014 Patrina sent me a few F2 or F3 seeds to grow on and try and find my own line to follow. 4 or 5 plant were grown and these were they result of one of the plants. The plant that these fruit came off was a full indeterminate with no Dwarf characteristics obvious to me. They were the first that were anything near to a GWR that I had grown and I can recall being surprised at how ripe they were with some of the earlier fruit where they red blush was not so obvious. Indeed I recall the green being a deeper shade than the photos show. Taste on these was surprising, absolutely delicious and our kids, then aged 3 and 6 would clean them up, no matter how much was put in front of them. The appearance when cut was startling, the first time I had seen anything like that and it prompted me to "tag" the line "Goodoo" which is one of the Australian aboriginal names for our biggest fresh water fish, otherwise known as the Murray Cod, a big fish with a mottled green skin. I still have seed from Patrina and from these fruit.

I had a couple of years where seed raising did not happen for one reason or another, then last year I got a few going again, one of which was a dwarf! Unfortunately the fruit on it ripened while we were in Tasmania and I came back to a couple of part rotted fruit hanging on the plant. Seed was collected and grown out this year, with only seven plants surviving. All plants are doing well and have flowers, bagged of course, and some have good sized fruit on them.
Here are a couple of them, photos taken several weeks ago now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goodoo.jpg (1).JPG (128.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Goodoo.jpg (3).JPG (152.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Goodoo.jpg (6).JPG (146.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0883.jpg (89.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0886.jpg (78.8 KB, 89 views)
Old February 5, 2020   #305
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

thats very pretty! great looking plant as well.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020   #306
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Gold Rush F1 X Jade Numbat Zucchini

Picking a good number of these off 4 or 5 plants at the moment, not a lot of variation in the fruit, all the colour of Gold Rush although they appear to have some striping evident when looked at in the flesh, have not grown Gold Rush so cannot compare to that but from memory the Jade Numbats, which are striped, appear to have had some influence, but yellow on yellow may lead to wishful thinking. The stems are far more variable in colour, with some being light green, the one at the farm a dark green, some mixed with both light and dark and one being very long. The long stem one is of interest as it makes harvesting without damaging the top of the Zucc much easier if not using a knife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gold Rush F1 x Jade Numbat.jpg (95.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Long Nexk.jpg (52.3 KB, 64 views)
Old February 11, 2020   #307
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Starting to harvest a good selection of tomatoes, including a couple of the KARMAs, Dana's Dusky Rose, Jap Black Triffle and a selection of cherries
Old February 11, 2020   #308
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Garlic:

This was a strange season for the garlic, with the rain leading to earlier than expected leaf die off and stem rotting in some clones. I harvested what I could, and stupidly pulled tags from some of the first rather than writing fresh ones to keep with the cloves. Some of the Turban cloves that I missed harvesting have already shot and are around 4 inches high, will have to wait for them to mature to have any hope of id'ing them. Need to get them into sand, they do not like our local soil which has a tendency to lock up
Old February 27, 2020   #309
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Chang Li Cherry

These are not what Chang Li Cherry is supposed to be, recon that they have been crossed with yellow pear, knowing my source of the plant not sure what to make of the mix up, thought they might have a yellow pear to start, but they are better than that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chang Li Cherry (1).JPG (147.9 KB, 36 views)
Old February 27, 2020   #310
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Costuloto genovese Sal Valente

First of the season, bigger than last years efforts, plant does not look to be overly loaded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Costuloto genovese Sal Valente (1).JPG (115.0 KB, 36 views)
Old February 27, 2020   #311
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Dana's Dusky Rose

A beautiful fruit on a tasty variety, 553 grams when picked at blush
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dana's Dusky Rose (1).JPG (97.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Dana's Dusky Rose (3).JPG (96.5 KB, 35 views)
Old February 27, 2020   #312
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Garrote Bicolor

A Spanish beauty, thanks Nico, over 500 grams when first picked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garrote Bicolor (1).JPG (138.2 KB, 35 views)
Old February 27, 2020   #313
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Golden Roma

Every bit as good as the red version, probably even more productive for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golden Roma (2).JPG (120.2 KB, 35 views)
Old February 27, 2020   #314
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Ivory Pear

Perhaps not as truly pear shaped as Yellow Pear is, but definitely much better flavour with a little bit of acid bite to it. Not overly productive, would probably need two plants to match one yellow pear here, but much better in taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ivory Pear (1).JPG (120.7 KB, 35 views)
Old February 27, 2020   #315
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default June Bug

June Bug from Charley here on TV, two plants growing smaller fruited of the two turned up its toes early for some reason, about 33mm across, the other a red closer in size to Jaune Flamme.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June Bug F2 PL2 (1).JPG (128.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1068_resized.jpg (94.0 KB, 35 views)