Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 31, 2006   #46
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default still working on it

I m finally getting to it. I have most of my maters in the ground , i did run out of room and am now planting in the front yard LOl
Weahter is humid and some storms , so i am putting them in as the weather permits me.
So far only one has been mortaly wounded a mortgage lifter, either wind or a cut worm? don't know, "fortunatly i keep my feathers numbered for such an emergecy"
I have
3 Mrt liftters
3 Dr,carolyn
3 Purple cherokee
1 sioux
1 yellow brandywine
1 Aunt gertie
1 choc cherokee
4 italian giant
2 speckeled roma
1 roma
1 Drazuba ( did i spell that right) means friendship
and some uknowns that mixed up an i forgot to tag them
1 kentucky britches
1kellog breakfast
and some others that i can't think of off hand
blackmountain watermelon
peas and beans
squash and other stuff too
oh yeah and some Blondkepfkens white cherries and green grape
i think that is it? hmm i better go look :wink:
sue
matermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006   #47
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Deer Park,

Good Lord. I didn't know such a harvest was possible so close to Houston. I'm looking back at your posts here to try to glean any knowledge I can and try to incorporate it into my cultivation. There is quite a bit to growing around here that is different from other parts of the country. I'm really astounded that you're harvesting big beefsteaks already.

Yes, this rain is definitely creating a mess. I've just now got a golf ball-sized Brandywine, 2 similarly sized Cherokee Purples, and 5 pea-sized CPs. Wonder if they have any hope of being ripe before the heat cooks em. I am south of Spring, so I guess about 50 mi North of you. I started nearly a month late on varieties that need the longest amount of time to mature.

I guess based on all the Russian and Ukranian names that you are a member of Seed Savers Exchange and/or trade a lot with Carolyn or have simply acquired a lot of varieties over the years? Most of those varieties I've never heard of. Do they do particularly well in SE Texas compared to the more well-known varieties like Arkansas Traveler, etc.? I don't suppose you have any seed to spare on some varieties? I intend to save seeds (already got Matt's Wild Cherry fermenting) so really just need a few to get going.

The only 2 on your Best of Class list I have heard of are the Texas-specific JD's Special Tex which is reportedly similar to Cherokee Purple but better suited to Texas. I've also heard of Russian Bogatyr from Carolyn.

I know, I should be patient and willing to experiment and learn what works best here, but I'd love to have a few "slam dunk" varieties to hold me over while I'm learning the ropes.

P.S. Don't have any extra tomatoes you don't know what to do with, do you? I've been dying to try a homegrown heirloom tomato to see what the difference REALLY is. I saw your address in another post but would never just "show up" uninvited!!

Maybe I can take some photos of your setup and post them here for ya?

It's raining right now, but I'm going to drive into Houston to see what's going on at the UrbanHarvest farmer's market. If nobody's there, I can always swing by Whole Foods Market and grab a few things.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006   #48
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

Hey Feldon27,

Really nothing to it here in Pasadena. Key is to start seeds at Christmas time and you will have 18" transplants to put out March 1st. I plant in 12 to 15" raised beds so transplant is setting on natural grade and only a few inches ends up above ground. Began harvesting in about 45 days and haven't stopped. First big fruit 1# and over start showing up in 65 days around first of May. If May rains hold off then May will provide a bumper crop. Unless the rains stops soon June may be a bust. June is also a good month if temperatures don't get crazy. Start seeds late June for fall garden. If you are in the neighborhood just give me a shout. My number is in the SSE yearbook. I will be listing all the new ones in next years yearbook so look for them.

Good Luck
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006   #49
tylenol
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,

Glad you found DP...was just gonna PM you about his post and this thread. Mike was kind enough to trade seeds with me this last Fall and sent extras to boot.
I sprained my tounge trying to pronounce the names of them. He must have relisted his list of seeds over at GW and thats why their crashing over there, lol, it's quite impressive...he's a guru in my book. Thanks again Michael ! Hope you guys get a chance to get together.

Rob
tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006   #50
MikeT_PDX
Tomatovillian™

My plants have been in the ground for 3 weeks, which is a little early for the Portland area. Usual last freezing date here is March 30, but things don't usualy warm up well until late May. We had frost on the ground May 9 this year. We've also had a couple weeks of very nice weather in May (temps in the 70's and 80's) so things are off to a decent start. I've got fruit set on a few and the rest have blossoms.

My 2006 list:
Pik Red, Arkansas Traveler, Eva Purple Ball, Goliath, Cherokee Purple, Black Plum, Black Krim, Black From Tula, Anna Russian, Brandy Boy, Pruden's Purple, Pineapple, Striped German, Paul Robeson, Polish Linguisa, Green Grape, Black Prince, German Red Strawberry, and Evergreen.
Most of these are new to me, but I'm still looking for a few more keepers to add to the short list of regulars.

I built 5 containers following the instructions posted by timcunningham, using 5-gallon buckets instead of the tote boxes. Those plants are doing very nicely, and it will be interesting to see how they produce compared to the ones in the garden. Thanks for the lesson, Tim. My cost per container, excluding soil and plant, was about $2.50.

I just found this site a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed the discussions, and learned a few things along the way.
Mike
MikeT_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2006   #51
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

tylenol, deer park,

Thanks for the info. tylenol, thanks for the mail!! DP, I may have to take you up on that offer especially if those tomatoes are just going to the birds.

I went to the UrbanHarvest Farmer's Market today. It's Wed afternoon and Saturday morning. Even though it was substantially raining (as it has been for the past 3 days), there were several little booths set up INCLUDING *drum roll please*, a woman selling:

* Cherokee Purple
* Black Krim
* Druzba
* Andrew Rehart yellow/green (presumably an unintentional cross?)

Suffice it to say I bought one of each.

There was much interest in me growing and offering heirloom tomato transplants there at the ideal time for fall harvest (July 15th or so). The person in charge told me that last year someone said they were going to do so and then backed out and there were a LOT of people showing up wanting the plants.
Old June 1, 2006   #52
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

That "Andrew Rehart yellow/green" looks EXACTLY like every picture of Aunt Ruby's German Green I've ever seen. Green and yellow, no hint of red inside or out (I took a picture). The taste is very hard to describe. Too strong for my palette but my friend found it to be delicious.

The texture of the Druzba was greatly affected by stinkbug bites but the flavor was very good. I would grow this popular tomato if it turned out like this in my garden.

Still waiting for the CP and BK to ripen. I am going by touch (very firm) and sight (purple is about halfway up the sides on each).

Of course I saved seed. I am going to have to reserve a table for seeds I'm saving.
Old June 2, 2006   #53
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

I planted 24 tomatoes. They've been in the ground about 3 weeks. Everthing's looking healthy. I have Arkansas Traveler, Box Car Willie, Cuostralee, German Red Strawberry, Mortgage Lifter, Green Zebra, Grape, Opalka, Earl's Faux, and one that that was supposed to be Cuostralee (purchased seeds from Heirloom Seeds), but is a potato leaf variety. Not sure what it is yet. In addition to those, I have Costada Romanesco and Golden zucchini. Jimmy Nardellos, Keystone Giant, and Purple Beauty peppers. Old Homestead pole beans, Homemade Pickle cucumbers. Ichiban, Whopper, and Listada de Gandia eggplant.
Old June 2, 2006   #54
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Sorry if I am sabotaging by posting each time I taste a tomato but this is my first time on "good" tomato varieties.

Had the Black Krim au naturel (no mayo, no bread, just a plate and knife). The first words out of my mouth were "Oh my God!" It was very flavorful and simply marvelous. It didn't have the "sharp" flavor of the green tomato that kind of put me off a bit. I can see why this is a much beloved variety. I can't imagine how much better that Noir de Crimee could be. Ok, I'm hooked.

UPDATE: Cherokee Purple -- OMG no wonder everyone loves it. I invited fliptx over here from GardenWeb. She was EXTREMELY generous and gave me 2 Brandywine tomatoes which should be ready to eat in a day or two. Was great to meet her and chit-chat about growing techniques.
Old June 6, 2006   #55
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

My plants are really taking hold. Jubilee, Rose, German Queen & Bucks County are the nicest so far. I see blossoms on German Queen & Rose. My 15 plants that survived the freeze are starting to show growth. They have doubled in size over the past week and have got a really nice green color going on.
My worst grower is Black Pearl, which is just sitting.

CECIL
Old June 6, 2006   #56
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

I now have 60 plants in. Received the last 6 today and will put them out along with moving some volunteers in two days. I am going to let some of the last ones just sprawl. Haven't done that in a few years but have the space and out of cages. Have 33 varieties I think. Most of the heirlooms are what I started myself. They are all looking great and growing. All my different Goliaths have set along with Fourth of July and a few others. No heirlooms yet. Hopefully before long. So far they are surviving the heat and drought fine. Surprised to see so many setting. The rest of my garden looks great. Will try to get some pictures and upload within the next few weeks. Best of luck to everyone with theirs in 06. JD
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote