Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 6, 2011   #31
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

There is a great new variety of black tomato that is generating a lot of buzz in Europe this upcoming spring - it does not even have a name yet.

http://www.seeds-grainesvoltz.com/to...56369ng-a.aspx

It is already a sellout. Not sure who will be carrying the seed in North America - I've tried Black 5785 and Black Prince - the only ones that don't seem to crack too much. Maybe be able to get this new hybrid next year.
gourmetgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #32
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Just bumping this thread on black tomatoes.

I wonder what the "new" black variety that was so popular in Europe turned out to be. Does anyone know?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #33
Cinnamon
Tomatovillian™

Nope. The link is dead now. Everyone here in the UK is excited about OSU's Indigo Rose that I believe only came on the market this year. I've got it but it's just a tomato with black skin. Apparently one seller was sent a tomato from a mutant of another Indigo variety that was jet black inside, but that's not commercially available here. I don't think there are any of the flavourful black tomatoes making waves here at the moment. I've had a quick look at the rest of their website (it's in french) but there's nothing exciting about their small collection of tomato varieties.
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #34
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for checking it out Cinnamon. I wondered about Indigo Rose, but it was developed here in NA (I grew it last year), so I doubted that Europe would have got it first!

Oh well.

Linda
Old July 4, 2014   #35
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

There was one called 'Chocmande' that is being grown and imported from Spain. looks similar to 'Kumato', and it has a great self life - it even tastes like a proper black tomato. Don't know if that's the one.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #36
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Although Carbon is not my favorite black tomato it has better taste than most of the other blacks when the weather is cooler in the fall. As far north as you are it might be a good one to try. I found Dana's Dusky Rose also did really well in the fall. Berkley Tye Dye Pink is another one that does well cooler conditions and has a bit more of a tangy flavor.

To me the blacks are at their best when the heat is really up there. That is when tomatoes like Indian Stripe, Spudakee, Black Krim and JD's Special C Tex really show their stuff. I always grow a variety of black tomatoes because they each vary in flavor depending upon the season. If you have room I would try to have at least three different varieties each year. Don't think because one year a variety is great that it will be that good the next year. I have fallen prey to that tomato trick too many times only to be very disappointed.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #37
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
. . . Don't think because one year a variety is great that it will be that good the next year. . . Bill
And perhaps, with so many around who are new to growing tomatoes, it's worth pointing out that the reverse is also true? i.e. don't give up on a new tomato after just trying it once?

I've appreciated your comments on black tomatoes being so much better when it is really hot -- makes sense to me -- I've been trying to come up with ways to nudge the hot up in their micro-environment to see if I can convince them that it is hotter, longer, than it ever is, here. I'm sure I can't convince them that they've moved south for the summer, but perhaps I can encourage them somewhat.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #38
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
There was one called 'Chocmande' that is being grown and imported from Spain. looks similar to 'Kumato', and it has a great self life - it even tastes like a proper black tomato. Don't know if that's the one.
Maybe that's the one! Nothing much comes up on a Google search though.

Thanks,
Linda
Old July 4, 2014   #39
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Linda: I am experimenting with a seedling grown from a Chocmande seed, we'll see, if it produces anything even closely resembling it - or any fruit at all... so far, the process looks very slow. We have been promised a warmer weather soon, so hopefully sleeping beauties will catch up ..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #40
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Linda: I am experimenting with a seedling grown from a Chocmande seed, we'll see, if it produces anything even closely resembling it - or any fruit at all... so far, the process looks very slow. We have been promised a warmer weather soon, so hopefully sleeping beauties will catch up ..
Please let us know how it turns out, especially if it is really tasty!

Linda
Old July 4, 2014   #41
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Realizing that good taste is very subjective...I do really enjoy others sharing their expertise on taste and productivity. I am pretty new (2 years serious) to growing tomatoes in earnest. Of course, I have learned that blacks are picked despite having green shoulders. This was new to me...haha. I see the opinions continue to rage...does dead-ripe harvest really make a difference???
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #42
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
Realizing that good taste is very subjective...I do really enjoy others sharing their expertise on taste and productivity. I am pretty new (2 years serious) to growing tomatoes in earnest. Of course, I have learned that blacks are picked despite having green shoulders. This was new to me...haha. I see the opinions continue to rage...does dead-ripe harvest really make a difference???
If you wait to pick some varieties of black tomatoes until they have no green on their shoulders you will likely be picking up mush off the ground.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014   #43
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Also, I'm interested in what will be this tomato( Chocmande). I got last week from Baikal these seeds: Kumato, Mini Kumato, Zebra Pera Sol, Chocmande and Cherry Pera Kumato. He wrote to me:“Vladimir, hybrid seed tomatoes may all have been extractes from tomatoes bought in the market Bert regards“
If someone are interested in I can to share about seeds.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014   #44
Hermitian
BANNED

"Black From Tula" performs very well in many climates - although you wouldn't plant it outdoors midsummer in Albuquerque or midwinter in Edmonton. Under the best of practices I'd give it a 9 out of 10 for flavor. For 10 out of 10 the Cherokee Purple and Paul Robeson are very hard to beat when grown by an experienced gardener or in just the right climate.

Last edited by Hermitian; July 6, 2014 at 01:40 AM.
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #45
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Try Sacher F1, Espresso F1, Bombonera F1, or Kahlua F1. All are at least as good, if not better than Kumato. You can order from Paramount seeds.
gourmetgardener is offline   Reply With Quote