Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 7, 2014   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Chadwick Cherry not

Since when was Chadwick Cherry orange?????

The plant that I thought was CC now has two large (for a cherry) orange fruits. I hope it is Jaune Flammee, as that is a variety that I'm keen to try. I have another JF in the jungle that has become my veggie garden, in case I want to save some seed.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Since when was Chadwick Cherry orange?????

The plant that I thought was CC now has two large (for a cherry) orange fruits. I hope it is Jaune Flammee, as that is a variety that I'm keen to try. I have another JF in the jungle that has become my veggie garden, in case I want to save some seed.

Linda
Linda, I know Chadwick's Cherry, aka Camp Joy, and not it's not orange, as you know, it's red. Or are they orange on the way to red as the link below shows?

Where did you get the seeds?

And you say you hope it's Jaune Flammee, so did you also have plants that were JF, b'c if your Chadwicks, is not what it''s supposed to be you don't know what it is.

Right?

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Chadwick%27s_Cherry

Carolyn
Old July 8, 2014   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Linda, I know Chadwick's Cherry, aka Camp Joy, and not it's not orange, as you know, it's red. Or are they orange on the way to red as the link below shows?

Where did you get the seeds?

And you say you hope it's Jaune Flammee, so did you also have plants that were JF, b'c if your Chadwicks, is not what it''s supposed to be you don't know what it is.

Right?

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Chadwick%27s_Cherry

Carolyn
Thanks Carolyn. You are quite right that if it's not Chadwick, I really don't know what it is! I did grow two Jaune Flammee plants, but as I am trialing so many different varieties this year, I only kept one of each variety. My JF fruit look very similar in size and shape, but they are still green. I suppose it is possible that I somehow kept two JF seedlings and gave away the two Chadwicks .

I emailed my friend to ask her the colour of the Chadwick that I gave her, but hers are still green......

I wondered to myself how I knew that it would stay orange, rather than turn red and I think it's because it's the colour of Sungold! A two-inch Sungold-type tomato!

I'm waiting, impatiently, for it to ripen so that I can taste it!

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; July 8, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old July 15, 2014   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Maybe I ate that first one too early, so I waited longer for the next one and it was slightly soft when squeezed. It had no sign of red inside AND they are all more oval than round. Taste was ok, but nothing special.

I'm happy that I didn't mix up my J. Flammee and Chadwick seedlings, and am still waiting for the REAL JF to ripen. Chadwick will just have to wait for another year!

Linda