Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old March 6, 2016   #1
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic patch

700 or so garlic (95% made it thru our easy winter) and around 200 onion plants in the ground today, lettuce,spinach,beets,radishes and snow peas... It's going to be a good year to grow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (299.8 KB, 100 views)
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #2
timbucktwo
Tomatovillian™

That looks great! I've never grown but small amounts of garlic before, and am impressed with your garlic patch for sure, inspirational and makes me want to reach beyond what I've done up until now.

Tim
timbucktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #3
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Look at them all peeking up! Nice work. Many tomato people have woods by their house, I'd like that, the city feels so tight sometimes.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #4
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Look at them all peeking up! Nice work. Many tomato people have woods by their house, I'd like that, the city feels so tight sometimes.
My best patch to grow in is about an acre and a half, where this pic was taken. Got lucky and picked a couple other patches, one is about an acre , other is about 10 miles away and can be as big as I want... (Up to 2 acres), hundred year old barns, full of 20 year old cow manure. All they want are a few tomatoes!
Old March 6, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks great I love growing garlic and onions all things allium.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #6
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

As I was planting the last wide row of Pablo lettuce today, I saw my first robin, picking worms out of my garden... Now that's a good sign of early spring.
Old March 6, 2016   #7
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Looks great I love growing garlic and onions all things allium.

Worth
Remind me to send some of my Music and Purple Italian garlic to try out... Not sure when you plant it in Texas. Have another strain I call Benld (a town next to the one where I live, full of Dago's...Italian/Americans) it's been grown there for years, small purple striped garlic that is hot like a hot pepper.
Old March 6, 2016   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Remind me to send some of my Music and Purple Italian garlic to try out... Not sure when you plant it in Texas. Have another strain I call Benld (a town next to the one where I live, full of Dago's...Italian/Americans) it's been grown there for years, small purple striped garlic that is hot like a hot pepper.

Garlic looks great! Mine is still hiding under a frozen mulch layer, but it will probably thaw this coming week.

And FYI, Dago is an ethnic slur that many of us Italian Americans wish would go away...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #9
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Garlic looks great! Mine is still hiding under a frozen mulch layer, but it will probably thaw this coming week.

And FYI, Dago is an ethnic slur that many of us Italian Americans wish would go away...
I'm sorry, didn't know it was offensive, I apologize . We use the term around here and there is no offense taken. It's like, hey Dago what's happening?
(Dago) not much, wheelbarrow...
(Me) wheelbarrow?
(Dago) yeah if it wasn't for wheelbarrows, Irishmen would still be walking on all fours!

And then we go into the tavern and buy each other drinks.

Last edited by pmcgrady; March 6, 2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old March 6, 2016   #10
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Your garlic beds look amazing. It makes me miss mine that I had years ago.

I'm surprised that you have just had your first robin. They have been here all year... Anyway, Happy Spring!
Old March 6, 2016   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm sorry, didn't know it was offensive, I apologize . We use the term around here and there is no offense taken. It's like, hey Dago what's happening?
(Dago) not much, wheelbarrow...
(Me) wheelbarrow?
(Dago) yeah if it wasn't for wheelbarrows, Irishmen would still be walking on all fours!

And then we go into the tavern and buy each other drinks.

Apology accepted. Thank you. And, in your defense, here's what Wiktionary has to say about its usage --

"The sense is still extremely offensive in the United States. It has become less pejorative among certain groups reclaiming the term in recent years, with people of Italian, Spanish, or Portuguese origin themselves adopting the term. In the Upper Midwest region of the United States, the term is used for several Italian-inspired food items with no apparent pejorative connotation."

It seems you are from the part of the country where it is not as offensive as in other areas. But I will tell you that if you were to call an Italian American by that name in the northeast and you yourself were not of Italian descent, or the person's near and dear friend, there is a greater chance you would be going to the hospital instead of the tavern.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I plant garlic in the fall around October.
I dont know if the hard neck will do well down here it isn't cold enough.
I have heard the creole does well.

Worth
Old March 7, 2016   #13
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I plant garlic in the fall around October.
I dont know if the hard neck will do well down here it isn't cold enough.
I have heard the creole does well.

Worth
I'll send ya 5 or so different kinds, try it, or eat it!
Old March 7, 2016   #14
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Apology accepted. Thank you. And, in your defense, here's what Wiktionary has to say about its usage --

"The sense is still extremely offensive in the United States. It has become less pejorative among certain groups reclaiming the term in recent years, with people of Italian, Spanish, or Portuguese origin themselves adopting the term. In the Upper Midwest region of the United States, the term is used for several Italian-inspired food items with no apparent pejorative connotation."

It seems you are from the part of the country where it is not as offensive as in other areas. But I will tell you that if you were to call an Italian American by that name in the northeast and you yourself were not of Italian descent, or the person's near and dear friend, there is a greater chance you would be going to the hospital instead of the tavern.
The best bread I have ever eaten, was made in Benld, Illinois in wood fired ovens that had water misters in them, which caused the crust to crack, but the inside was like angel food cake. In fact my dad would eat it with strawberries on top when in season.
Someone bought the recipe when the bakers died, but they could never re create the recipe, it was the ovens... It was Italian loafs, with a sign over it called "Dago Bread" when I was a kid. And it was Italians selling it. Never has been a derogatory comment around here, again I apologize.
Old March 7, 2016   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The best bread I have ever eaten, was made in Benld, Illinois in wood fired ovens that had water misters in them, which caused the crust to crack, but the inside was like angel food cake. In fact my dad would eat it with strawberries on top when in season.
Someone bought the recipe when the bakers died, but they could never re create the recipe, it was the ovens... It was Italian loafs, with a sign over it called "Dago Bread" when I was a kid. And it was Italians selling it. Never has been a derogatory comment around here, again I apologize.

I am going to step into this crack so bare with me.
I have a very good friend that was born in Sicily.
Him and his mother came to New York when he was small.
His father had to come in through Canada due to things I wont say here.
Nothing bad mind you it had to do with his pranks and military record.

My friend and I get along great and sometimes he calls me a Kraut.
Not very often and I never do it but he is called a WOP and he soent care.
His father will beat the tar out of you.
This means without papers in other words illegal alien or what ever the correct word is these days.
I give up trying to keep up.
There was another guy that worked with us that had a polish last name.
One day my friend saw the good luck horn around his neck and said you sob you are a Guinea.
You have a Guinea horn.
And he was Italian also on his mothers side.
This is yet another derogatory term you will have to look up yourself.
Well one day My Sicilian friend brought me some very good dried Soppressata and left it for me and went home.
The other guy told me to not eat it and leave it for later to go on and work.
I came back and the greedy devil was eating my sausage.
So I took a box and put a string and pencil on it propping it up with eht string tied to the Soppressata.
I then took a pictuer of it sent it to Joe told him what the other one did and called it a Guinea trap.
Both guys are named Joe.
The Joe that I set the trap for said oh hell no I should put a head of cabbage in it for you.
All in good fun.
Worth
Here is the necklace I was referring to.
They come in many styles and colors.
It gets rid of the evil eye.

As for the bread I can make a very good semolina bread by way of instructions from Joe's Sicilian mother over the phone no recipe with Joe translating.
Worth