Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 16, 2017   #1
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Default Fleur de Reagir Reviews?

Anyone grow Fleur de Reagir tomato this year?

I'm hoping for word on how it tastes, size, growth habit, anything you can think of sharing. My prospective grow list is getting heavy and I've got some serious list thinning to do.

How did you like this one? Worth growing?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share!
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
Anyone grow Fleur de Reagir tomato this year?

I'm hoping for word on how it tastes, size, growth habit, anything you can think of sharing. My prospective grow list is getting heavy and I've got some serious list thinning to do.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share!
Doing some searches, a couple in Europe I didn't check and I can't find it anywhere.It might help if you were to share here with foliks where you first read about it and where you got your seeds from.

And it's entirely possible that someone will come along and post and know all about it.

Carolyn
Old January 17, 2017   #3
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Doing some searches, a couple in Europe I didn't check and I can't find it anywhere.It might help if you were to share here with foliks where you first read about it and where you got your seeds from.

And it's entirely possible that someone will come along and post and know all about it.

Carolyn
I got my seeds from Secret Seed Cartel a couple of months ago.
Her website is the only place I've been able to find any reference to it.
Unfortunately, Terry is having problems with the website at the moment so I wasn't able to provide a link to that page, but it's listed under 'black tomatoes.'
Sadly, I guess I bought it on looks and should have asked questions first..

Thanks in advance for any help or info you might provide.
Old January 17, 2017   #4
natural
Tomatovillian™

Hey,

I grew this last year from Terry. We liked it a lot. It grew true to the picture. The flavor was very good. Large plants and fairly productive for a large tomato.
I was worried that there would be a large core but there was not.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #5
k3vin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm hoping for word on how it tastes, size, growth habit, anything you can think of sharing.

I grew it last year. Its a ribbed black tomato, moderately productive. It looks kind of like a black Costoluto Genovese. I was not impressed. It was about as close to a spitter for me as it gets. Pretty tomato, but insipid taste. It may have just been the year, but it will not be returning to my garden.
k3vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #6
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Yikes! So far I have one (+) and one (-).
I really appreciate your opinions.

I hope a few more chime in so I can come to a consensus.
Running out of space in my planning garden.

Thanks!
Old January 17, 2017   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yikes! So far I have one (+) and one (-).
I really appreciate your opinions.

I hope a few more chime in so I can come to a consensus.
Running out of space in my planning garden.

Thanks!
I told you someone would probably/hopefully come along with help.

Carolyn
Old January 18, 2017   #8
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Well TC you anticipated me with this thread. I’m also planning on growing this tomato, that is if I get the seeds. I put it on my Wish List at the very last second so I hope I get it. I fell in love with it from the very first time I saw a picture of it. The color is really unique. It’s like as if the tomato had been smoked. It’s true though that you don’t find many reviews/information about it on the web. One description on a French site says (I think) that it produces pretty big, flattened and ribbed tomatoes that are quite meaty and have many cavities which makes it ideal for being stuffed. It’s indeterminate and RL. It was obtained by an accidental cross in a garden located in Northern France (I’m therefore guessing that it could like not so hot weather). After being stabilized it was introduced in 2009 so it’s pretty new to the market.
I’ve decided that I will grow this variety no matter what it taste. If it’s a spitter I will have still have a wonderful ornamental plant!
I know that there are some French Tomatovillians that could probably correct my quick translation and tell us more about this beauty.
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2017   #9
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Let me chime in after a lenghty period of inactivity. You will find a short description of that tomato in Vent Marin, letter F, then alphabetical order http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tom...ion_tomate.htm. French tomato fans discovered it in 2010 when they visited the annual tomato fair of Haverskerque in the North of France. It was shown on a stand displayed by "Reagir" (React) an organization that brings new qualifications to unemployed people, mostly in the fields of gardening, work in public parks etc. A very short description : Red tomato, flat shaped. Regular deep ribs on the whole surface.

The growers explained it came from a spontaneous mutation that happened in a greenhouse (from what variety ?) and it was stable. It must have made a good impression as it was shown on television.
At the end of the fair some members of Tomodori – a little brother of tomatoville- picked up the tomatoes and shared the seeds. It was quite successful the following years ( high production, taste, aspect) but seems to be forgotten now.
I think it's worth a try. If you decide to have a go, please keep us informed about the results !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fleur-de-reagir.jpg (51.4 KB, 158 views)
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2017   #10
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

For French/Spanish/German varieties, I've found it useful to do a Google search of the variety name, adding "tomate" (rather than "tomato"). For Italian names, add "pomodoro." Words like "Indéterminée" and "mi-saison" are often quite close to English, and the pictures help a lot.

I received Fleur de Réagir seeds in the MMMM swap, and found info on the variety on a French Website called "tomatofifou": http://www.tomatofifou.fr/recherche-...-reagir-detail

I found a few other varieties received in the swap on the "tomatofifou" Website, too. Thankfully, it has a "Select language" feature that, once enabled, offers mechanical translation (i.e., rough) to several languages, including English -- there's a pull-down menu of languages located just under the flags of various nations. One can search by typing in the "Recherche" field.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018   #11
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a Gazanhte on the left and a Zapotec on the right.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018   #12
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I grew Fleur de Réagir in 2017 too. It is a very beautiful tomato - just as described - but the taste does not match the look. Not bad, but in my garden it could not compete with slices of Red Barn, Atkinson, Arkansas Traveler . . . (Oh, now I really miss my fresh tomatoes!!!)

It won't be back this year with so many other varieties to try.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #13
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
I grew Fleur de Réagir in 2017 too. It is a very beautiful tomato - just as described - but the taste does not match the look. Not bad, but in my garden it could not compete with slices of Red Barn, Atkinson, Arkansas Traveler . . . (Oh, now I really miss my fresh tomatoes!!!)

Jeff
Same here -- very beautiful, but the taste didn't compare to others. It was also softer when ripe than I prefer. I'm glad I grew it, though!

Missing fresh tomatoes here, too. 61 days left of winter, I've been told.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post

Jeff
how was Red Barn? I'm considering growing it this season.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #15
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Red Barn is now one of my favorites. Big, hardy vines with very good production and good disease resistance (though mine was grafted). Pretty, large tomatoes with a great taste. I will regrow it again this year.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote