Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 18, 2012   #46
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I am looking forward to it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2012   #47
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Chance, I need to remember to mail you the seeds for the Turkish tomato that I got from Mike at Victory Seeds. Sometime in the next couple of weeks should do b'c I've got to get thngs organized in that back room where all my seeds are and do some inventory.

And I'm trying to think about this but I think that Jennifer had send me some seeds of Turkish Ayla, but I'll find out soon enough.

have you heard anything from Jennifer recently? She hasn't posted in quite a while so last week I sent her a PM asking if she was Ok, and no response to date.
Old October 18, 2012   #48
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Actually, she hasn't responded my messages either. I hope she is OK.

Jennifer sent me Turkish Ayla seeds earlier. Right now, I have one Special Turkish Red and two Turkish Ayla plants (one in a 5 gal pot, one in raised bed) growing. Plants in the pots will flower, soon. Hopefully I will harvest some fruits and seeds from these varieties. I will make sure to send you seeds from each variety that successfully grow. Would 20 seeds for each be enough for you to send to folks who grow for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Chance, I need to remember to mail you the seeds for the Turkish tomato that I got from Mike at Victory Seeds. Sometime in the next couple of weeks should do b'c I've got to get thngs organized in that back room where all my seeds are and do some inventory.

And I'm trying to think about this but I think that Jennifer had send me some seeds of Turkish Ayla, but I'll find out soon enough.

have you heard anything from Jennifer recently? She hasn't posted in quite a while so last week I sent her a PM asking if she was Ok, and no response to date.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2012   #49
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Hi Chance,

Thanks for your offer.

I'd love to try here in Romania the following:
- Kirkagac Melon
- Diyarbakir watermelon
- Pala 49 eggplant
- 1-2 tomatoes

Please PM and I will send US stamps for mail

Last edited by Moshou; October 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Moshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2012   #50
sicily
Tomatovillian™

If you need any more growers I'd love to participate. I'll look through my many packets of veges from SSE to see if I can find any varieties that you might be interested in. Please keep me in mind and thanks for your efforts.
sicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2012   #51
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Naming a variety

I am having a difficult time with naming a cherry variety that I am currently growing for the project. Here's what's going on:

- I had some seeds for a variety which already has a name, Çorum Red (or Red from Çorum), which is a determinate heirloom with medium sized red fruits. I grew three plants of this variety. While two plants look like to be matching the description of Çorum Red, third plant is indeterminate and most probably it is a cherry variety (plant is fruiting now and I will be sure soon enough).
- My dilemma is I have other cherry varieties that came from the SAME source and none of the cherries have names. I only have a vague idea about plant habits and fruit colors.I don't want to mix the volunteer (or mysterious) cherry with the other cherry varieties that I will grow next year. Besides, the mystery cherry is most likely same as one of the cherry varieties I have since all these seeds came from the same source. My question is: What should I name the cherry variety growing right now? Mystery cherry?
Old October 23, 2012   #52
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
I am having a difficult time with naming a cherry variety that I am currently growing for the project. Here's what's going on:

- I had some seeds for a variety which already has a name, Çorum Red (or Red from Çorum), which is a determinate heirloom with medium sized red fruits. I grew three plants of this variety. While two plants look like to be matching the description of Çorum Red, third plant is indeterminate and most probably it is a cherry variety (plant is fruiting now and I will be sure soon enough).
- My dilemma is I have other cherry varieties that came from the SAME source and none of the cherries have names. I only have a vague idea about plant habits and fruit colors.I don't want to mix the volunteer (or mysterious) cherry with the other cherry varieties that I will grow next year. Besides, the mystery cherry is most likely same as one of the cherry varieties I have since all these seeds came from the same source. My question is: What should I name the cherry variety growing right now? Mystery cherry?
Assign the cherry that isn't what it's supposed to be a letter and number code for now as you investigate further, something like CR-I-red12. CR--from what was supposed to be Corum Red; I--it's an indeterminate; red---the color; and 12 for the year 2012.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2012   #53
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by delltraveller View Post
Assign the cherry that isn't what it's supposed to be a letter and number code for now as you investigate further, something like CR-I-red12. CR--from what was supposed to be Corum Red; I--it's an indeterminate; red---the color; and 12 for the year 2012.
delltraveller, thanks for the suggestion. I will share for seeds for this variety. So do you think I should wait for sharing seeds until I find out whether this is the same as any of the other cherries. It may be difficult to change the name later on to what it is supposed to be.
Old October 23, 2012   #54
frdlturner
Tomatovillian™

Chance
seeds got here today thanks..
and on the mystery cherry
you could send it out with a note that you will update info on it once it is IDed
frdlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2012   #55
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
delltraveller, thanks for the suggestion. I will share for seeds for this variety. So do you think I should wait for sharing seeds until I find out whether this is the same as any of the other cherries. It may be difficult to change the name later on to what it is supposed to be.
I would wait to share them or only share them with a couple people to help grow it out and see if it's possibly a cross or if it's stable and to compare it with some of the other indeterminate cherry tomatoes you've collected.

If you're lucky enough to be able to communicate with the person you received the seeds from, you can ask about seeds from another variety possibly getting mixed in, possibly which tomato seeds they were working with at the same time or just before the Corum Red.

Since you have seeds for cherries from the same source, it might be worthwhile to grow out the error variety side-by-side with those cherries to see if it matches up with one of those, before doing a wide distribution of the "mystery" cherry.

Last edited by delltraveller; October 23, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old October 23, 2012   #56
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I would wait to share them or only share them with a couple people to help grow it out and see if it's possibly a cross or if it's stable and to compare it with some of the other indeterminate cherry tomatoes you've collected.

If you're lucky enough to be able to communicate with the person you received the seeds from, you can ask about seeds from another variety possibly getting mixed in.
Unfortunately, communicating with the person is not very likely. So either he didn't isolate the seeds very well or he mixed up the seeds.
Old October 23, 2012   #57
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Unfortunately, communicating with the person is not very likely. So either he didn't isolate the seeds very well or he mixed up the seeds.
Then I would grow out the mystery alongside some of the others and compare them. I'm sure there are people here who would like to help with that.
Old October 23, 2012   #58
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Then I would grow out the mystery alongside some of the others and compare them. I'm sure there are people here who would like to help with that.
I think this would be a good approach.
Old October 23, 2012   #59
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

Got the seeds in the mail today. Thanks a bunch. Will probably start the peppers in mid-January. The melon a little later. I will definitely keep you updated with pictures, etc, as they become available.
Old October 23, 2012   #60
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks much for volunteering. I would appreciate any kind of pictures/feedback regarding these varieties. For the record:

- Kirkagac melon was grown close to Charentais but I send you guys the seeds from a fruit that got pollinated before Charentais started blooming.
- Mehmet's Sweet Turkish pepper and Corbaci were grown close to each other.
- Kandil bell pepper was close to a banana pepper.

I am hoping that no crossing happened; however, I have been a lot more careful now, both in terms of distances and bagging the flowers, it just took some time for me to redesign the garden for the project. Will send out tomato seeds, when they are ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadlouie View Post
Got the seeds in the mail today. Thanks a bunch. Will probably start the peppers in mid-January. The melon a little later. I will definitely keep you updated with pictures, etc, as they become available.