Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 13, 2016   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default Weird tomato disease?

My 18" tall Rosella Purple has a very stunted/unusual growth, and some strange looking undersides of leaves. The underside of many of the leaves have tan colored/glossy looking scale. I have never had scale on my tomatoes (that I know of). I can't do pics....sorry. What is this do you think?
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2016   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Can you post some pictures, Ed ?

It might be physiological, not a disease.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2016   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

G...I am sorry I do not know how to do that. The light brown patches are only on the bottom of the leaves...and have a glossy sheen to the area. It certainly has affected the vigor and has distorted the growth.
Old May 13, 2016   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Ed, posting pictures easy from your computer, directly.

!- Open you comment by clicking on " Go Advanced" a liitle further down under the comment box. ( I just did that)
2- on the top tool bar , next to the smilies icon, click on "attachments"
3- it will open a window (manage attachments)
4- click on first top "Browse"

This will take you to your computer ( probably pictures folder).
While in your computer, locate the file that contains the picture you want to attach.
5- Right click on it , then click on "open" at the bottom
Now you should be back to "Manage attachments" window.
You can attach more than one picture.
6- Click on "Upload" ( when you have fished all the pictures from your computer (one at a time)
7- Close the window.
Now you will be back at your comment.

8- To make sure that your picture(s) is there, click on "Review Post ( Not necessary )
9. once done writing your comments, click on "Submit Reply"

You are done

This might sound involved with few steps but once you do it couple of times, it is a piece of cake.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2016   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Probably asking about your problem in the Pest and Disease Forum might work well. I'm not in CA but can offer at least two possibilities.

One is Russet Mites

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783400111.html

From the U of CA, and slanted towards IPM,integrated pest management

and then scale disease

https://www.google.com/search?q=scal..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

But again,I think the Pest and Disease Forum might work best.

Carolyn
Old May 13, 2016   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

If you have an old phone like mine, you can take a pic on the phone and then send that pic to your email. I just enter my own email instead of a number. Then I open the email on my desktop computer.

imgur.com is a free pic hosting site if you have trouble with attachments. You can upload the pic to imgur, get the link to it, hit the image button (looks like a mountain), paste the link there, and the pic will show up in your post.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2016   #7
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

And if you have an old phone like mine, Ed, to get a pic you make sure the phone is closed, hold a pen or pencil in your teeth while you tear off a bit of paper small enough to balance on the phone, peer intently at your pic object and attempt to sketch it with the pen or pencil.

That sort of pic doesn't upload well at all, though

(And, unless your sketching skills are better than mine, it may be impossible for an unskilled observer to tell whether it is a diseased tomato leaf, a palm tree in a hurricane, or an infuriated duck.)

I inferred that you were saying that you didn't take digital pictures in any form, but if you do, and follow gardeneer's excellent instructions, one other thing that's important is to note the file size and image dimension limits at the bottom of the "manage attachments" page, and, if necessary, crop or resize your image appropriately.

Best help of all, I think, is Carolyn's type, with online link that has a lot of info. (Carolyn doesn't do digital pics, either.)
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2016   #8
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Firstly, I sure appreciate the technical help.I actually keep my old flip phone because it makes people laugh at me! I am not very funny...so it is the only way I can get a laugh! Secondly, I have a feeling those are mites (and their brown/shiny webs?). Maybe I should just toss that plant? I think mites are hard to kill...huh?
Old May 14, 2016   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
Firstly, I sure appreciate the technical help.I actually keep my old flip phone because it makes people laugh at me! I am not very funny...so it is the only way I can get a laugh! Secondly, I have a feeling those are mites (and their brown/shiny webs?). Maybe I should just toss that plant? I think mites are hard to kill...huh?
Until last week, my cell phone (that belonged to my late father) was older than a flip phone! My grandsons were amazed by it. After a visit from my son, we're attempting to learn how to use smart phones and haven't attempted to use the camera yet.

Not sure you should toss the plant yet- if you have any of the items listed in the link below, you might want to isolate it from your other plants and try spraying a few times first.

http://www.planetnatural.com/pest-pr...-mite-control/

There are sure to be threads here about success in controlling mites.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Best help of all, I think, is Carolyn's type, with online link that has a lot of info. (Carolyn doesn't do digital pics, either.)

######

Absolutely not since where Carolyn lives seldom can anyone here at my home get enough bars to do anything,and yes,they have smart phones. The problem is the terrain, and blocked from the towers.

I once had a wonderful Minolta, many years ago,but it was stloen from a locked file cabinet in my then office, a crowbar wasused.That Minolta went all thru Europe with me and took great pictures and I still have those slides. After that I never bought anything expensive,but did buy a Kodak brownie one to take tomato pictures when several of us had a contest to see what our tomato plants looked like on the 4th of July.

I got out some Xmas ornaments and hung them on my plants, so no,I didn't win.

Carolyn