Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 22, 2013   #196
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Doug! I think there will be some interesting things from both farms in the next few years, and some of them will be the result of the cross-pollination that occurred.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2013   #197
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

2014 Artisan Seeds Plans:

1. The Artisan Seeds website -- www.growartisan.com -- will become less a site for the purchase of seeds, and more an informational site. We will no longer sell our widely released varieties at www.growartisan.com

2. Johnny's Selected Seeds will sell seeds for Blush, Pink Bumble Bee, Purple Bumble Bee, Green Tiger and Pink Tiger. Johnny's will also be the exclusive source for Lucky Tiger and Sunrise Bumble Bee (PVPs in the works).

3. Garden Life and Log House Plants will sell most, if not all, of the varieties listed above as seedlings and/or grafted plants (wholesale and retail).

4. AP Whaley Seed will be the best source for wholesale seed, for all of the generally available varieties

The new Johnny's catalog, containing Artisan Seeds varieties, is due out in mid-November. AP Whaley has the 5 generally available varieties listed now (Blush is listed as "Blush Tiger").

Last edited by Fred Hempel; October 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old October 28, 2013   #198
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

More info...

While we are discontinuing sales of generally available "Artisan" tomato varieties on our website, the website is now selling the following:

1. Maglia Rosa cherry tomato, because it is not available from our main partners. It is a great container variety. Good flavor and very productive.

2. Seeds of land-races that have been particularly valuable to our farm. These are genetically diverse packets of seed, which tend towards a "type" but still contain genetic diversity. We find the diversity very valuable for creating some diversity of color that is valued by our farmers' market customers.

Flavor for the land-races is consistently very good, but slightly variable as well.

True-breeding lines (new varieties) can be selected from any of our land-races, and any seed purchaser is absolutely free to do so. We have so many tomato projects going, that it seems that this is a good time to release our land-races. I think they are particularly valuable to farmers who want to grow the land-race for market (like our farm does), or for anyone interested in developing new varieties.

The land-races ARE NOT identified as "Artisan" varieties. They are instead identified as Baia Nicchia Farm land-races. This is to avoid confusion. The "Artisan" name will only apply to tomato lines that breed true.

You can see the new products at www.growartisan.com
Old November 4, 2013   #199
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Fred,

My number one tomato this year, that I want to try is sunrise BumbleBee. Where can I find seeds for it?

Lindsey
Old November 4, 2013   #200
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Lindsey,

It is a Johnny's Selected Seeds exclusive -- available only from them around mid to late November.
Old November 12, 2013   #201
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

One week until the Johnny's Selected Seeds 2014 catalog goes live online (November 19th). This will be a momentous occasion for us, as the catalog will include 7 Artisan Seeds varieties. Two of the varieties (Sunrise Bumble Bee and Lucky Tiger) will be sold exclusively through Johnny's. Blush, the tomato that really got it all started for us, will also be also available this year from Johnny's!

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/04/luck...ers-get-lucky/

Note: Sunrise Bumble Bee is visible in Avatar
Old November 13, 2013   #202
Scope
Tomatovillian™

Hi Fred,
Congratulations!
I'm looking forward to seeing JSS 2014 catalog and your forthcoming varieties.
Scope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2013   #203
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Johnny's Selected Seeds announces R & D research partnership with Artisan Seeds:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-Seed_Va...12013#artisans

As well as the seven varieties to be released at Johnny's starting November 19th.
Old November 14, 2013   #204
natural
Tomatovillian™

Fred,

Congrats on the launch. I grew Blush, Pink Bumblebee and Purple Bumblebee this past year. They were all exceptional. I will definitely grow the other released varieties this year.

How would you compare the production of pink tiger, lucky tiger to Blush? (Blush was VERY productive)

Similarly, how would you compare the production of Sunrise Bumblebee to say, Pink Bumblebee. I think that I had a stray seed in the Pink Bumblebee package and the resulting fruit looked very similar to Sunrise Bumblebee. It was not as productive as Pink Bumblebees.

I am just trying to set expectations to determine how many plants of each variety to plant that will result in fairly even production across varieties.

Thanks,
Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2013   #205
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Bill,

Lucky Tiger produces pretty much similarly to Blush. Pink Tiger may be the Tiger type that is a bit less productive, but it really looked pretty productive at the site where the seed was grown this year.

You are not the only one that got a "sunrise" type in the your pink bumble bee packet. I think that has been selected out, but you never really know. There was no mention of a yellow marbled segregation from the seed producers this summer.

Sunrise bumble bee should be as productive as the other two bumble bee lines, at least based on what I saw at the production site this past summer.

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural View Post
Fred,

Congrats on the launch. I grew Blush, Pink Bumblebee and Purple Bumblebee this past year. They were all exceptional. I will definitely grow the other released varieties this year.

How would you compare the production of pink tiger, lucky tiger to Blush? (Blush was VERY productive)

Similarly, how would you compare the production of Sunrise Bumblebee to say, Pink Bumblebee. I think that I had a stray seed in the Pink Bumblebee package and the resulting fruit looked very similar to Sunrise Bumblebee. It was not as productive as Pink Bumblebees.

I am just trying to set expectations to determine how many plants of each variety to plant that will result in fairly even production across varieties.

Thanks,
Bill
Old November 14, 2013   #206
natural
Tomatovillian™

great! Thanks for the information. I'm all in
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2013   #207
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Buying our varieties in Europe this year:

Suttons Seeds (UK) will be distributing our striped cherry tomatoes in Europe for the coming season, and will most likely have them available very early in 2014. They will first be available online, though they are not available yet. Later they will be in the Suttons catalog (published in July). The names may be slightly different at Suttons, as there are already other "tiger" tomatoes listed in Europe.
Old November 15, 2013   #208
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations Fred! It is great to see your efforts rewarded. Johnny's is smart to offer your select varieties. And, a couple of PVP's in the works? Impressive!

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2013   #209
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Updates:

Highland Kale is back on our website. It is also available in smaller packet size at Tania's site.

All striped Artisan Cherry tomatoes will be available starting tomorrow at Johnny's
Old November 19, 2013   #210
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Millard Murdock's Captain Lucky is also now available at Johnny's. Here's hoping his royalties are significant.