Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 17, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Elephant Garlic ?

October will be here before we know it. I bought a head/clove/whatever of Elephant Garlic from Wally-World back in January. I planted 4 bulbs that grew through the monsoon spring and ripened in June. As the picture shows, I have both bulbs and seeds. Which one should I plant in October?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0097.JPG (68.8 KB, 102 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #2
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Salt - here's a good article about planting garlic in Texas. Since you're in the South, your weather suggests you'll plant at different times than us in the colder climates. They mention only planting softneck garlic, but I agree that you should try what you find in your area.

Who knows? Your elephant garlic may explode!

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/re...ons-gardening/

Why not plant both cloves and seeds? Seeds do take about 3 years to mature though.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I was surfing all over last night and happened to run across a recipe on youtube, some Russian lady making a pickled mix. She put in some Elephant garlic and said that it wasn't really a garlic, but a leek. I looked it up further and found it to be true.

There has got to be some sort of garlic club in your area where you can get planting information for your climate. Spring and Fall is all I know, but in some places that is all one long season.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We plant onion seed in early October, so I just figured that's when to plant garlic seed. Transplants are January and February here.
Old August 17, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I thought everyone knew elephant garlic was really a leek I dont see how but it is.
Salt I think this is the right link.
Everything you wanted to know about garlic in Texas.
The guy lives in Bangs.
Worth
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...99804247,d.eXY
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2015   #6
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Robert, I planted elephant garlic in September and it did great. You can also leave some in ground and it will multiply. I have some that I planted 2 years ago that still comes up. It came from my neighbor's yard that has been there around twenty years in the same spot.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #7
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone grown Elephant garlic from seeds? I got some seeds, but can not find any information, if the seeds need vernalization.

I could sow some seeds already this fall like ornamental alliums and some early spring like leek seeds.

I know that getting edible bulbs from true seeds may take couple or more seasons, but I am willing to try this. The seeds came from plants grown in Finland from fall planted cloves, so Elephant garlic should be hardy enough to survive our winter.

Sari
Old August 26, 2015   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We have an area just outside our garden that is in mostly shade while there are leaves on the trees. In winter, this area gets plenty of sun. That is where I am thinking of planting the Elephant Garlic. I planted second year onions there last fall and they grew well.
Old August 26, 2015   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I would try some of both.
The flowers of elephant garlic and leeks are really attractive to bees and hummingbirds,too.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote