Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 1 Week Ago   #7906
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Salt,

I sympathize with you. I can't say it has happened with me other than when we were raising our kids. Since I have always been the primary cook in our family, I have always had rules.
1 I always attempt to cook nutritious, good tasting food.
2.Anyone who chooses to dine with us as a family can also choose to eat or not eat.
3. If you choose to not eat, no substitute will be offered or allowed for that meal or until the next meal.

We feed our dog at 7:45 a.m. and 5:45 p.m. If she doesn't eat within forty five minutes, she doesn't get a second chance until the next meal time.

My rules kept everyone well fed and peaceful at meal time.

Oven baked irish potato and oven baked country ribs in bbq sauce this evening with buttered, steamed yellow squash. Everything is ready to cook. All I need to do is turn the oven on and start the squash steaming thirty minutes later. Cheap and easy.

Last edited by DonDuck; 1 Week Ago at 04:46 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7907
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Those who complain have just volunteered to help cook.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7908
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post

That is also a good rule. I've always been a "get out of my kitchen" kind of person when I'm cooking. I know what I want to do and I know where everything is at when I'm cooking. I like to move around without bumping into other people when I am cooking. When I serve a meal, all the preparation equipment is already washed and put away. My wife usually washes the serving dishes and plates and cutlery.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7909
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Well darn Salt I dont know what to say speechless to say the least.
Hang in there.

Worth

I am hanging in there. The ladies from the tax office confirmed what I already knew was obvious. Even the tax office doesn't want to charge us. In-a-way, you have laugh about it but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Salt,

I sympathize with you. I can't say it has happened with me other than when we were raising our kids. Since I have always been the primary cook in our family, I have always had rules.
1 I always attempt to cook nutritious, good tasting food.
2.Anyone who chooses to dine with us as a family can also choose to eat or not eat.
3. If you choose to not eat, no substitute will be offered or allowed for that meal or until the next meal.

We feed our dog at 7:45 a.m. and 5:45 p.m. If she doesn't eat within forty five minutes, she doesn't get a second chance until the next meal time.

My rules kept everyone well fed and peaceful at meal time.

Oven baked irish potato and oven baked country ribs in bbq sauce this evening with buttered, steamed yellow squash. Everything is ready to cook. All I need to do is turn the oven on and start the squash steaming thirty minutes later. Cheap and easy.
Don, the rules when I was a child were simple. Eat whatever was cooked even if you don't like it and you had better clean your plate! My mother and stepmother had no clue how to cook, but my father's rules meant you better eat whatever they cooked.

As an early adult and eventually a father. My wife and I chose a different path. As soon as the children were ready, we let them help cook with us. We are doing the same thing with our grandchildren. There are some meals that I/we overprotectively do not let them help with. Fried foods where the oil splashes out onto our adult sized arms could splash out onto their face or eyes. I am overly protective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Nan, you got that right.

What I wrote in post #7904 was from my depression. It's not an excuse. This morning, I realized that it's time to move on. Depression eats away at us. I planned three meals for tonight's and tomorrow night's meals. One meal was spaghetti using the raw hamburger meat leftover from the hamburgers I made the night before. (I took too much hamburger meat out of the freezer). The other meal was to cook pinto beans with the hamburger meat and onions...but then I realized that we have no canned tomatoes. The obvious meal was to use a couple of chicken breasts that were leftover from the night before the hamburgers.

When we talked to our DIL, she chose to use the already cooked chicken breasts to make a casserole. She cooked it! She made it with Jasmine rice - even though I offered other types of rice including instant. The meal was good.

Tomorrow night is pinto beans cooked with hamburger meat, onions, jalapeños with no seeds/membranes, and I do have an 8oz. can of tomato sauce. Of course cornbread too.

Waste not - want not, is what I believe in.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; 1 Week Ago at 01:54 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7910
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Today, Jan and I started making a holidays list of foods we possibly want to cook. I call it a holidays list to be at least sort of politically correct. For us, it's Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7911
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Today, Jan and I started making a holidays list of foods we possibly want to cook. I call it a holidays list to be at least sort of politically correct. For us, it's Thanksgiving and Christmas.
No way on earth am I going to tie myself down all day for a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner this year.
A Cornish game hen seems in order with boxed cornbread dressing.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7912
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ate on my kettle of beans again last night.
Worth
Old 1 Week Ago   #7913
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not the kettle itself but the beans in the kettle.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7914
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Not the kettle itself but the beans in the kettle.
And here I thought you had alien teeth... you know the aliens from the movie Aliens.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7915
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No way on earth am I going to tie myself down all day for a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner this year.
A Cornish game hen seems in order with boxed cornbread dressing.

I'm cooking a turkey at Thanksgiving. No real reason to cook a turkey because we will have Thanksgiving and Christmas at other folks houses. I just enjoy cooking a turkey and having a lot of left overs. I'm also baking a pumpkin at thanksgiving. I didn't know you could bake a pumpkin until I saw it on television. I don't know how to do it and I don't know if it will be worth eating after I do it, but it should be fun.

Salt, it would be a waste of time to search for political correctness around my house. I always offer kindness, thoughtfulness, generosity, and truth. No political correctness from me. It will always be Thanksgiving and Christmas for me.

I probably made a mistake clearing my kitchen when I cooked. I should have encouraged our kids to learn how to cook. Our kids did learn how to cook though. My wife has always liked the arrangement. She is a pretty good cook in an emergency. She just prefers my cooking.

Last edited by DonDuck; 1 Week Ago at 03:46 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7916
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to the store and getting an aluminum foil something or other cooking and eating the dinner from it and tossing the thing.
Dinner over.
If I want another one I'll just do it over again.
Portion control.
Worth
Old 1 Week Ago   #7917
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I'm with you, DonDuck. I love Thanksgiving leftovers. Sometimes I'll get a turkey at this time of year and cook it to have the leftovers, though I don't ever have TG at my house.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7918
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Turkeys, here, are for a very short time at 39 cents a pound. So, I'll be putting 4 to 5 of them in the freezer, and roasting about 1 a month. Leftovers will be turkey sandwiches, turkey pot pie, turkey tetrazzini, turkey soup, and the unknown (until I do an online search for more recipes).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7919
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Thanksgiving is one of our favorite holidays. If you have a Dollar Tree nearby - they sell aluminum lasagna pans 2 for a dollar. They are very handy and cheap.

This is our 33rd Thanksgiving together. Jan has always cooked a huge dinner even before we had children. Anyone and everyone is welcomed. The staples are a large brined turkey, homemade dressing, giblet gravy, rolls, cranberry sauce, and sweet potato pie. All the other vegetables/deserts varies.

This Thanksgiving, we are going to make cranberry sauce from scratch. We have been talking about the menu for the past 3 days. We are leaning towards making a mixed berry cobbler as the desert.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7920
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Turkeys, here, are for a very short time at 39 cents a pound. So, I'll be putting 4 to 5 of them in the freezer, and roasting about 1 a month. Leftovers will be turkey sandwiches, turkey pot pie, turkey tetrazzini, turkey soup, and the unknown (until I do an online search for more recipes).
I see us doing the same thing and when hams go on clearance sale...we might need a bigger freezer