Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old June 16, 2008   #1
louster
Tomatovillian™

Default Does lush top growth mean a better harvest?

We planted potatoes for the first time last year, and they were so good, we are hooked! We planted a LOT more this year, and have taken better care of them...low N fertilizer, more faithful about hilling them up, ect. Plus, we had a long, cool spring, which, if I understand correctly, potatoes really like.
Anyway, the tops look so much better this year, and they are huge!! Does this necessarily mean that we will harvest more pounds per plant, or are top growth and tuber production not related? We're hoping for a great harvest, and are now hooked on growing potatoes. The store-bought ones just can't compare.
louster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2008   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
or are top growth and tuber production not related?
Yes and No.

If the nutrients can be transfered to the tubers with a proper senescence (die-down) your yield could be huge. If the growth of the tops continues and continues with super late varieties such as 180 type varieties from the tropics, then the yield is delayed or aborted.

Thankfully, most of the potatoes people grow are adapted to their locale, so I would expect good yields. Some varieties are early and don't have big vines but yield well anyway. The yields are usually good if the vines terminate new growth and start to yellow up, indicating senescence, and bulk up the tubers. Healthy vines not compromised with verticillium or fusarium or blights will build up excessive nutrients and will hopefully transmit nearly all of the photosynthesized goodies to the tubers.

Tom
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2008   #3
louster
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Tom, that gives me a little better understanding of how tomatoes operate! The really huge ones are the Red Pontiacs...they are flowering right now. The Yukon Golds are right behind, though not flowering yet, along with Kennebec, and a bluish skinned, white flesh one whose name escapes me at the moment. They were all planted about April 20. I read somewhere that potatoes produce well with long, cool springs, and we sure have had that in Mid-Michigan this year!! Still waiting for it to warm up, in fact, so my tomatoes will be happy, too. Thanks again!
louster is offline   Reply With Quote